Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fans placement in case

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Diakon

Diakon

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 11 June 2018 - 10:41 AM

Hello,

I need help with fans in my new case. So here it is what I got:

Also I bought:

My question is how I should install them in case for max cooling: which side should go where: with TT logo should go outside and otherside with model inside the case? Or otherwise? - hope You know what I mean. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,579 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 11 June 2018 - 10:59 AM

not sure what your trying to ask?.....are you asking which way the airflow should go?

#3 Diakon

Diakon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 11 June 2018 - 11:13 AM

Yeah, and that means I should mount them corect way or it doesnt matter?

#4 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,579 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 11 June 2018 - 11:34 AM

Yeah, and that means I should mount them corect way or it doesnt matter?

yes it does matter......

you want air to be flowing through the case, so sucking in at one end and blowing out the other end.....

you dont want all your fans sucking in air....and you don't want all the fans blowing out air

#5 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 12 June 2018 - 03:03 AM

Fans generally (but not always) have airflow and/or rotation arrows somewhere around the outside of the frame - they can be small & hard to spot.

The fan side with the completely exposed impeller is generally the intake side, the side with the impeller partially shielded by the hub support bars being the outlet side.

I'm no expert with this but:-

Fans at the top & back of the case are usually extracting air from the case, Fans at the front & base of the case are usually blowing into the case. Your case documentation may have some information, otherwise you will have to decide for yourself  what will work best for you.

Where you mount your CPU cooler heat exchanger will be restricted by case design & possibly pipe lengths. I would generally expect it to exhaust from the top or rear of the case - so with your case I would probably be looking to mount it at the top (if I wanted it mounted inside the case!!).

#6 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 12 June 2018 - 09:47 AM

Fans blow toward the hub motor. See: open-grille.png

There are however diminishing returns for number of fans. The number of fans you have listed is way overkill. I would put just 2 or 3 intake fans and 2 or 3 exhaust fans, no more. 10 fans will just make your computer louder, not much cooler. Also computer airflow tends to be front and bottom intake and back and top exhaust. 

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,839 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 12 June 2018 - 10:18 AM

There are however diminishing returns for number of fans. The number of fans you have listed is way overkill. 

Amen!  You can have a gentle breeze or a hurricane blowing through the case but once you reach a certain point more is not better (nor is more even necessary).

Depending on the environment where the machine is living you could, in theory, have no case fans at all if the ambient temperature were cool enough (though I am not proposing this).

There's also a definite point of diminishing returns if the machine is in an environment that is not assiduously clean (read: most of them).  Having too much active intake only increases the rate at which dust bunnies (or denser, actually) accumulate on anything they can accumulate on in the case.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#8 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 June 2018 - 02:47 PM

There's also a definite point of diminishing returns if the machine is in an environment that is not assiduously clean (read: most of them).  Having too much active intake only increases the rate at which dust bunnies (or denser, actually) accumulate on anything they can accumulate on in the case.

That is only true if you do not use filters on your case. I highly suggest if anybody has a case without intake fan filters, then you should get some.

There are two views/opinions on fans set ups, those that run with a positive pressure and those that run with a negative pressure.

Both views have good and bad points so it is truly up to the user and what they are going to use their case for and other (over clocking) conditions play a factor too.

With a case with negative pressure, (more fans blowing out than in) you will get the better cooling with more air flow through the case but your case will be sucking in every bit of dust and fuzzy through every nook and open cranny the case has, meaning you'll need to clean it more often

With a case with positive pressure (more fans blowing in than out)  your case will run a little hotter (mine runs about 10c above a neg press) but the case will be cleaner because you are pushing air out of the case instead of sucking it all in. I do have and use fan filters on my case, if your case did not provide filters you can buy them separately, they are flexible magnetic filters that you can just slap on the outside of the case. If you do not care if you have filters then plan on doing more of a cleaning schedule, and run with a neg pressure.

When I ran with a neg pressure (and I did for many years)  I had to clean out my case about every 6 to 8 weeks, With the pos pressure I can stretch it out to about 6 months but I still need to clean the intake filters more often (when ever they get dirty, I give them a quick wipe)

Your mileage may vary

Edited by Joe C, 12 June 2018 - 02:58 PM.

#9 Diakon

Diakon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2018 - 03:12 PM

Thanks for all the answers, now I know a little better :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users