Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Files On Shared Network Drive Suddenly Become Unusable

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 andrewlee394

andrewlee394

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 11 June 2018 - 10:05 AM

Need your urgent help. Suddenly the files stored in the shared network drive from the Server becomes like the attached screenshot and they are no longer usable. Please help as the files are not usable after they change the icon to something strange. Any reasons why this would happen, and how to get back the files to be working?

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 11 June 2018 - 06:11 PM

Can you right click on the file and select properties, what does it list for file type?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 andrewlee394

andrewlee394
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2018 - 06:29 PM

Im not sure but I'll be visiting the clients site this morning to check what's wrong. Will update here what I have investigated.

#4 andrewlee394

andrewlee394
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2018 - 03:23 AM

After visiting the client's site where the files went missing, we found out that perhaps one of the staff had accessed the folder options and selected "Do not show hidden files and folders". After unhiding hidden files and folders, those files that were previously missing became visible again. My question is, shouldn't this feature be off-limits for normal users to mess around? How can I set a windows policy so that normal users don't have access to this menu option? Setup is really old. They're using Windows Server 2003 & client PC are all Windows XP,SP3.

Thanks for your guidance on setting this policy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users