Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

win 7 install

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 trevorcork

trevorcork

• Members
  • 359 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 11 June 2018 - 08:42 AM

i am downgrading a dell latitude 7280 to windows 7, i am having issues when i am installing when it gets to the screen where you choose partitions etc its blank and message no drives detected, i no the drivers i am missing ate the following

intel mobile express chipset sata raid controller

microsoft storage spaces controller

standard nvm express controller

i can download these but only the ones with setup.exe i need the .inf etc so i can browse to it , any help in finding these please, or any pother help would be great

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 11 June 2018 - 08:59 AM

No drives detected means the installer is not able to access the hard drive, it's not related to drivers.

That model laptop lists an M.2 drive, but I haven't found anything yet to confirm if it's AHCI or if it's an NVMe drive. If the drive not being seen is because it is NVMe, here is Dell's requirements for installing Windows 7 on M.2 NVMe drives:

http://www.dell.com/support/article/au/en/aubsd1/sln300689/requirements-to-install-windows-7-on-m2-drives-in-non-volatile-memory-express-nvme-storage-environments?lang=en

Hope it might help.

Edited by Platypus, 11 June 2018 - 09:36 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,535 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 11 June 2018 - 09:17 AM

it gets to the screen where you choose partitions etc its blank and message no drives detected

its not seeing your hard drive.....have you tested the drive?

#4 trevorcork

trevorcork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 359 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2018 - 09:24 AM

yes i tested the drive and its all ok, i installed windows 10 on it, i ran a chkdsk and sfc scannow and no issues, its new laptop

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,676 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2018 - 09:29 AM

Windows 7 does not have the mass storage drivers for your chipset. As you have already found out you cannot use a setup.exe file. If I can determine the chipset of the laptop intel may have the F6 drivers but it's possible intel does not provide Windows 7 drivers for that particular chipset. 

Your Specs.

https://www.cnet.com/products/dell-latitude-7280-12-5-core-i5-7300u-4-gb-ram-128-gb-ssd/specs/

Microsoft and intel does not provide Windows 7 support for later generation CPUs. Yours is 7th generation.

https://ark.intel.com/products/97472/Intel-Core-i5-7300U-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-3_50-GHz

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln304217/microsoft-windows-operating-system-support-for-intel-kaby-lake-processors?lang=en

I think you are going to be stuck at Windows 10 or Linux.

Edit: Per your specs you also have a M.2 SSD. See this Dell page. Also it looks like the computer only has USB 3.0 ports and no DVD drive. Are you installing using an external DVD as Windows 7 does not have native USB 3.0 Drivers. 

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln300689/requirements-to-install-windows-7-on-m2-drives-in-non-volatile-memory-express-nvme-storage-environments?lang=en

The above has a link to intel's F6 drivers but I can confirm they will work. Edit: Missed Platypus's edited post.

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 June 2018 - 09:47 AM.

#6 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,535 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 11 June 2018 - 09:30 AM

yes i tested the drive and its all ok, i installed windows 10 on it, i ran a chkdsk and sfc scannow and no issues, its new laptop

where did you get the windows 7 install media?

#7 trevorcork

trevorcork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 359 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2018 - 10:27 AM

i was looking online and someone said enable UEFI boot which i did and now the hardrives and partitions show up, which i could not get earlier, but now when i see the HD with 476Gb and i click next to install windows it says system was unable to create new system partiton or locate an existing system partiton, i have also tried the following  

1. Set your PC to boot from DVD via BIOS
  2. Put the DVD in and let it load until you get to this screen:
    windows7haltscreen.png
  3. Once at this screen, press: (SHIFT+F10) to get a CMD window
    002-shift-F10-command-prompt-install-win
  4. MAKE SURE YOU SELECT THE DRIVE YOUR INSTALLING WINDOWS TO NOT ANOTHER. In the CMD window, type in Each Command and Press <ENTER> Key as follows:

DiskPart <ENTER>
    list disk <ENTER>
    select disk 0 <ENTER>
    clean <ENTER>
    create partition primary align=1024 <ENTER>
    format fs=ntfs <ENTER> (Will Take a While)
    assign <ENTER>
    active <ENTER>
    exit <ENTER>
    exit <ENTER>
  5. After it completes, exit the INSTALL COMPLETELY and reboot.
  6. Once you are back in, go about installing Windows just DO NOT ALLOW Windows to create a new partition, use the only one there.
    installwindows711driveo.jpg
  7. Windows will now install

but it doesnt install or let me, so i have fixed the earlier issue but now i cant install on disk?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,676 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2018 - 10:36 AM

One important step was missed after the clean command.

convert gpt

This initializes the disk with a GPT partition table required for UEFI boot. Also GPT disks cannot be marked as Active. That only pertains to MBR disks. 

The commands would be

diskpart

list disk

select disk 0

clean

convert gpt

exit

exit

Continue with the install. Windows 7 will automatically partition and format the correct partitions.

https://www.howtogeek.com/193669/whats-the-difference-between-gpt-and-mbr-when-partitioning-a-drive/

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 June 2018 - 10:38 AM.

#9 trevorcork

trevorcork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 359 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2018 - 02:53 AM

hi i have done the steps you told me to, inputting the convert gpt, then exit and exit but it is still same set up was unable to create a new system partition

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,676 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2018 - 07:49 AM

I am assuming SecureBoot was disabled or you would not have been able to boot Windows 7. I am also assuming you have 64bit Windows 7 and not 32bit.

The only thing I can say is to check the below link. You should not have a problem unless it's because of the M.2 drive.

8. You will notice that the disk has now been formatted as GPT with 3 partitions. Select the "Primary" partition 3, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)
NOTE: You might receive a "Windows can't be installed on drive 0" warning, but as long as you can click on the Next button, you're fine.

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/186875-uefi-unified-extensible-firmware-interface-install-windows-7-a.html

It may be a bad disk. You can download an iso of your 64bit version here. Use Rufus with the iso file to create a bootable USB flash drive. Select GPT for a partition scheme. Leave all boxes as checked. Where you see FreeDos select iso image in the dropdown box. Click the icon and browse to the iso file. Press Start. Attach the drive. Boot the Dell and tap F12. Select your USB flash drive.

When you are at the screen showing language press Shift + F10 to open a command prompt. Type the commands I posted. Continue with the install. When you get to the screen showing Upgrade or Custom select Custom and you should see your hard drive unallocated. Click next and the install should continue.

#11 MasterNe0

MasterNe0

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:55 AM

You probably need to slipstream the m2 harddrive drivers onto the Windows 7 DVD or load the drivers onto a USB and select it when it asked you to select the drives/partition  with the Window 7 DVD installation media.

Done this with Dell laptops that require a reinstallation sometimes if you use a retail DVD rather then the OEM dvds from the manufacturer which has the drivers already slipstreamed/embedded into it.

Edited by MasterNe0, 14 June 2018 - 09:57 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users