Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Product Key?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BuddysDaD

BuddysDaD

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 10 June 2018 - 09:42 PM

Ok, I just picked up another computer that has the Ubuntn OS installed and I want to do a new install of Windows 7. My question is this; can the original product key on the underside of said computer be used to activate the new install as long as I install the same version of Windows that was originally on the computer or will I need to get a new key? The OS is Windows 7 Pro. Thank you everyone for your input.

BuddysDaD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,570 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 10 June 2018 - 09:56 PM

Hi

My question is this; can the original product key on the underside of said computer be used to activate the new install as long as I install the same version of Windows that was originally on the computer

As far as I know the answer is yes, Provided the key hasn't been used to often, If you find that the key wont work select the activate by phone option, 

#3 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 11 June 2018 - 01:32 AM

That should work just fine.

Out of curiosity - do you have installation media (CD/DVD or USB) for Windows 7 Pro SP1 on hand and if not where do you think you will obtain same?

Note: For OEM (Windows preinstalled from the manufacturer) systems you will not get an installation ISO from here but you can sure try:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7?

If the install will not activate (and if you want to activate it today) you will have the most satisfactory results by speaking to a human being:

Click the Start button/orb and in the box enter:

slui  4

Choose your nearest country (United States in the example), call the toll-free number to speak to a human being:

[attachment=204997:1.jpg]

Don't press any keys on your phone, don't respond to any voice prompts, just wait, wait, wait and you will be connected to a human being.

Explain your situation and they should help you.

If they don't help or can't help just hang up and call back again and the chances are good that you will talk to a different person and eventually you should find some nice person that will help you.

Edited by joseibarra, 11 June 2018 - 01:34 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#4 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 11 June 2018 - 06:40 AM

Ok, I just picked up another computer that has the Ubuntn OS installed and I want to do a new install of Windows 7. My question is this; can the original product key on the underside of said computer be used to activate the new install as long as I install the same version of Windows that was originally on the computer or will I need to get a new key? The OS is Windows 7 Pro. Thank you everyone for your input.

BuddysDaD

yes it will work as long as you have not changed any hardware in the computer.....also you need to install the exact same original OS windows 7 home, professional, etc ect.....it also needs to be the same 32 or 64 bit that was originally installed, i had that problem once before, i installed a 64 bit and it would not activate, so i had to install 32 bit

Edited by mikey11, 11 June 2018 - 06:41 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users