Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How much speed increase will 2 hard drives be?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Silhorn

Silhorn

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 10 June 2018 - 09:35 PM

Hi,

I've got a single 7200 RPM hard drive right now on this pc running windows.

I have got another spare 7200 RPM hard drive. I was thinking about wiping both hard drives and installing windows on one and programs on the other. Will this give me a performance increase? Mostly interested in windows startup times. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,183 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 10 June 2018 - 10:04 PM

You wouldn't see a significant difference. Having applications on the same drive doesn't affect Windows startup times. You could notice a slight improvement at times by having the swapfile on a second drive, but whether that's noticeable depends mainly on how much RAM the system has. If RAM is adequate, swapfile usage is limited.

By far the greatest improvement in Windows and application load times comes from changing to a solid state drive. These days I hate going back to using a computer with a regular hard drive.
Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users