Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

here are 9 links that details exactly what is possibly the problem with the pc

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 win10user

win10user

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 10 June 2018 - 06:15 PM

1. Ubuntu 17.10 And Other Linux Distros Damaging Lenovo BIOS

2. Kernel bug BIOS startup Error 

3. Ubuntu 17.10 Breaks Some Lenovo UEFI BIOSes Due to Intel Driver

4. Ubuntu 17.10 SERIOUS Issue affecting Lenovo and Acer Aspire E1

5. Ubuntu 17.10 Breaks BIOS on Lenovo ?

request: im looking for someone that can guide me through w/e needs to be done to fix this thing

i only would like replies from someone that already has extensive knowledge and familiarity with the problem, and related problems

just a guess: w/e this problem is (most likely) has happened in previous ubuntu versions as well

but im not technical and do not know

looking for these steps: what are steps to test/try to boot with a USB drive using grub? 

im assuming there is a common way to do these steps

if not then it'll be helpful for me to know that there is not a common way to do these steps

if there's not a common way, then i've no idea what to do

please no comments that clutters up the post since it'll be better for someone that knows to reply, thank you

Edited by win10user, 10 June 2018 - 06:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 10 June 2018 - 08:30 PM

looking for these steps: what are steps to test/try to boot with a USB drive using grub? 

Hi

I have reopened this thread as requested,  please provide the answers to these questions.

Make and model of PC

Is it Windows 7, 8 or 10?

What Linux operating system are you trying to boot?

What brand and size is the USB stick?

How did you create the bootable USB?

Without this information we cant help you.

Regards

Nick.

Edited by NickAu, 10 June 2018 - 08:31 PM.

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,807 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2018 - 06:08 AM

What is this thread about? That first post does not clearly say anything that I understand.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,081 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 16 June 2018 - 07:37 AM

@ Rocky,... This is a sort of 'follow on' from win10user.......after he failed to see the use/sense of providing model number and associated info. Despite my treating him as a new user with zero experience in THIS post, he has continued on down the spiral to eventually reach the 'bottom'.....he hasn't been seen or heard of since June 11

I do not believe non english background was the problem. paranoia ?...perhaps.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/678708/could-someone-that-knows-a-lot-about-fixing-grub-guide-me-through-the-steps-to-b/*

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/678852/why-the-model-of-any-computer-would-automatically-solve-any-kind-of-perhaps-co/

Edited by Condobloke, 16 June 2018 - 07:46 AM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,807 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2018 - 10:14 AM

Thank you. I am clearly interested in "the Problem" but he never clearly explains his equipment and what he is expecting. And of course I do not understand the acronym "w/e" means. I keep thinking that it means week end, but I do not know what it means in this context.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,807 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2018 - 12:17 PM

I just spent a considerable amount of MY TIME reading and rereading the original post and I do not understand what the OP is asking and if he even has a problem. It seems to me that the OP is just asking an academic question and that he is not actually experiencing any problems at the moment, he is just curious about something.

I hope that the OP posts back so that way he can explain what his post means and what he is asking.

Rocky Bennett

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 16 June 2018 - 05:13 PM

I hope that the OP posts back so that way he can explain what his post means and what he is asking

A number of people are waiting for this Rocky, but I don't think anybody is holding their breath !

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#8 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,081 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2018 - 07:07 PM

W/E  = whatever

I am thinking a younger person.

we may never know. I will not lose any sleep over it.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#9 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 17 June 2018 - 10:44 PM

Well there is always my Ouija board and necronomicon

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#10 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,081 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2018 - 05:22 AM

I wonder if THIS person is one and the same ?

GcnI1aH.jpg

#11 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,807 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2018 - 05:43 AM

^^^^^ Same name, maybe it is the same person!!!

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#12 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,081 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2018 - 08:49 AM

....might be time to oil up the Ouija board, madman....

GcnI1aH.jpg

#13 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,807 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2018 - 10:54 AM

I'm going to go out on a limb and answer the OP's question. As long as you always keep your Ubuntu installation up to date there are no worries regarding the very quickly fixed Lenovo BIOS issue. That issue was very quickly corrected in 17.10.1 and there is not even an issue with 18.04 with any Lenovo devices.

But the rule of thumb for any Linux issue is just to keep your system up to date and you will be safe. Because the BIOS issue for the Lenovo laptops was fixed so quickly, as long as you download 17.10 or 18.04 today, you will be safe and your GRUB will work as designed.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#14 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,969 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 18 June 2018 - 12:13 PM

Thanks for your answer, Rocky Bennett.

Because there has been no response to the questions in post #2, this topic is closed.

If you are still having problems with this computer, please start a new topic, explaining exactly what problems you are having.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users