Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2nd Hdd - clean install done - remove windows from 1st hdd?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bl33p!n eddacker

bl33p!n eddacker

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 10 June 2018 - 02:41 PM

Hello, my 2 y/o install on my hybrid 2TB drive was getting ugly. Installed new SSD and upgraded to Win10 Pro with a clean install.

I want the old drive to be data only but there is a 500GB partion with Win10 Home and a lot of programs that I will be reinstalling and a lot of programs I won't.

Am I safe to delete the old installed (not booting anymore) windows and it's installed programs to return the 500GB partition for data?

Is there a tutorial/example some where?

TIA

eddacker

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,873 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 10 June 2018 - 03:18 PM

Yes, it's perfectly safe to do that.

I prefer third party tools, and there are a number of them [I like Mini Tool Partition Wizard Free] and virtually all of them include step-by-step instructions with screen shots on their support sites.  In the case of Mini Tool Partition Wizard see the pages under "Partition Resource" at the bottom.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#3 xrobwx

xrobwx

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 11 June 2018 - 07:20 AM

I second Britechguy's mention of Mini Tool Partition Wizard. It's easy and intuitive. It has worked far more times for me, than Microsoft's own disk management. 

7581204627.png

#4 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2018 - 07:11 PM

I totally agree...Mini tool wizard is far better than the other free options. 

#5 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2018 - 07:14 PM

Here is the best way to delete a hard drive that I have found:

Powershell (run as administrator) (don't enter the number 1,2,3, etc...they are just there for the steps. ex. step 1, step 2, etc.)

type:

1. Get-Disk

2. Get-Disk 0 | Clear-Disk -RemoveData (Disk 0 is an example, your drive letter might be different)

3. Initialize-Disk 0

4. New-Partition -DiskNumber 0 -UseMaximumSize | Format-Volume -FileSystem NTFS -NewFileSystemLabel Archive (Archive is the name I chose for the file...choose whatever you want)

5. Get-Partition -DiskNumber 0 | Set-Partition -NewDriveLetter Z (disk Z is the letter I chose for my drive letter. You can choose any open letter that's not being used)

This will totally delete your hard drive. You will need to go to "disk manager" or use the Mini tool wizard to set up your partitions. 

Edited by Mason21, 11 June 2018 - 07:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users