Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

why the model of any computer would automatically solve any kind of, perhaps, co

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 win10user

win10user

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 10 June 2018 - 12:07 AM

could anyone show exactly why the model of any computer would automatically solve any kind of, perhaps, common problems (that most likely have common solutions that those that are already familiar and experienced with such problems would be aware of)?

could use grub problems as examples

Edited by win10user, 10 June 2018 - 12:59 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 838 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 10 June 2018 - 12:27 AM

What are you talking about ?

What you have said just makes no sense whatsoever.  If you have a specific problem, then tell us what it is, and maybe someone will be able to help you with it, but I doubt very much that your question as it is currently phrased will elicit any meaningful reply.

#3 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 10 June 2018 - 07:09 AM

The OP has an open topic here:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/678708/could-someone-that-knows-a-lot-about-fixing-grub-guide-me-through-the-steps-to-b/

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,977 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 10 June 2018 - 07:47 AM

You appear to have gone the long way around, to say....No......you wont supply the model number etc etc of your laptop to the people attempting to.help you in your other topic located HERE 

I cam make an analogy to a motor vehicle....some makes and models have problems that others do not have....somewhat strange little idiosyncrasies that when a repairman looks at that vehicle, the knowledge of those idiosyncrasies makes the difference between knowing just exactly which course to take and what he can safely ignore.

There are strong parallels to be drawn in the world of PC's/laptops/ etc etc....and while the knowledge of the particular model number will not automatically give an instant fix.......it quite often saves a lot of stumbling around in the dark before a fix is arrived at.

Give the people a break at your other topic....you asked for help...help them to help you.

Edited by Condobloke, 10 June 2018 - 07:47 AM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,353 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2018 - 09:42 AM

A little bit of friendly co-operation goes a long way, y'know.....

Most of the 'regulars' on any computer forum are there because they like to help others, and, occasionally, to ask questions themselves. :busy:   But one thing you need to remember; we're NOT mind-readers.  We're no good with a crystal ball.....and we're not there with you, looking over your shoulder.

Condobloke has the right of it. You can make a few sweeping generalizations about computing devices in general.....but when it comes down to tailor-made help for the individual, there is no substitute for actual details & specific information.

That's if you really want help, and aren't just 'yanking our chain'. What d'you think we're going to do with that information.....blackmail you with it??? (*Jeez*)  :rolleyes:

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 10 June 2018 - 09:50 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 10 June 2018 - 04:10 PM

It all goes down to knowing your hardware, a google search of your computers model will help us a lot.

We are not here for your bank account, social security number, medical information or ISP.

Its just a matter of knowing your hardware and any issues surrounding it saying "I have an issue with my laptop!" does nothing other than stating your issue, we need more than this to help.

As pointed out above its like knowing your car model and what year it was made in, you cant just go to a mechanic and say "I have an issue with my car!" and give no information on its make and model

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,761 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2018 - 04:44 PM

Many members of BC are indeed familiar with 'common problems' but different makes and models have different 'common problems' hence the very reasonable request for make and model.

With make and model information any of us can look up the specs or even download the manual for detailed reference rather than fumble around in the dark. I happen to have good night vision but even so, I prefer having the light on.

If you have a problem you want help with, supply the requested information. If you don't want help why did you start a topic ?

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users