Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer starts, then stops, then starts and boots to black screen

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 canuckamuk

canuckamuk

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 09 June 2018 - 10:52 AM

Howdy,

I have a computer running Windows Vista Home Premium Edition, 32 bit. Not long after downloading the latest drivers for my graphics card, (nVidia GeForce 9500 GT,) my poor computer started having major start up problems. When I turn it on, it beeps, the lights come on, the fan comes on, then it shuts down. A few seconds later it starts again and boots, but to a black screen with nothing but the mouse arrow visible. After a few tries it will boot up, but of course because it didn't shut down properly because I had to force it by holding the power button, I have to do it in safe mode, then reboot again. It will then start up as normal. I'm afraid to shut it down now as I may not be able to get her going again. I can't even risk putting it in sleep mode, because when I "wake it up" I get that black screen again and have to pray it works as I start the whole sequence all over again.

I mention the downloading of the drivers for the graphics card because I had a similar issue a few years ago and it turned out the graphics card was dead. I replaced it with my current one and all was fine. I have looked up this problem and graphics card issues have been mentioned on several sites I looked at. I was thinking that if I were to replace the new drivers with the drivers I replaced in the first place that that may work to fix the problem. My computer has been on constantly due to my fear of shutting it down and not being able to start her up again. Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Abzyx

Abzyx

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2018 - 12:07 PM

You should be able to "roll back" the drivers via Device Manager as administrator. I'm not on Vista at the moment or I would try to be more specific.The new drivers quite possibly don't support Vista.

#3 canuckamuk

canuckamuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2018 - 11:43 AM

You should be able to "roll back" the drivers via Device Manager as administrator. I'm not on Vista at the moment or I would try to be more specific.The new drivers quite possibly don't support Vista.

I would, but not sure I can. When I installed them the first time it didn't help the problem I was having to begin with (which was that an online game updated and I ended up with annoying display issues, so I updated the drivers to try to combat that), so I installed them again using a clean install which deleted the older drivers.

Edited by canuckamuk, 10 June 2018 - 11:44 AM.

#4 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2018 - 04:02 PM

Hi canuckamuk:

Have you tried booting up your computer in Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking?  Safe Mode starts your computer with the minimum software required to operate your computer and it will only load the basic video drivers for the graphics chip on your motherboard instead of the drivers for your NVIDIA graphics card. If you want to try this, restart your computer and repeatedly tap the F8 key while your hardware is being tested (i.e., before the Windows logo is displayed) and choose Safe Mode (or Safe Mode with Networking if you want to connect to the internet) from the boot options menu.

Go to Control Panel | Hardware and Sound and see if there is a section for a NVIDIA Control Panel.  If this software is installed you should be able to run a check for an update for your graphics drivers (e.g., at Help | Update).

You can also run the Auto-Detect Your GPU update checker at https://www.geforce.com/Drivers but this is a Java applet and you must have the Java Runtime Environment (RE) installed in your browser.  I did a manual search on that site and it looks like the v342.01 drivers (rel. 14-Dec-2016) are the last NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT drivers released for 32-bit Vista SP2, but they might not be the best match for your system.  If you look on the Drivers tab of your NVIDIA card in the Windows Device Manager (Control Panel | System and Maintenance | Device Manager | Display Adapters) a v342.01 driver might be listed as v9.18.13.4201.

Attached File  NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT Latest v342_01 Drivers.png   30.49KB   0 downloads

Please see the FAQ How to Fix Vista SP2 "Checking for Updates..." Hangs and Slow Windows Updates in the VistaForums about a known issue with Vista SP2 where Windows Update sessions can saturate an entire CPU core for hours (or even days) and and seriously degrade system performance.  Start your IE9 browser and go to Help | About Internet Explorer.  If you received your last batch of April 2017 updates for Vista SP2 and IE9 via Windows Update before extended support for this OS ended on 11-Apr-2017 then the IE9 Update Version should be v9.0.60 / KB4014661 as shown below.  If you have an earlier Update Version then you are likely affected by these Windows Update hangs - let me know the KB number of your IE9 Update Version and whether you have MS Office 2010, MS Office 2007 and/or the MS Office Compatibility Pack SP3 installed and I can provide further guidance on how to fix this problem.

Attached File  IE9 Version KB4014661 April 2017.png   17.66KB   0 downloads
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.8.1 * Norton Security v22.14.2.13 * Malwarebytes 3.5.1 * MS Office 2003 Professional
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Edited by lmacri, 10 June 2018 - 04:14 PM.

#5 canuckamuk

canuckamuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2018 - 11:49 AM

Hi again,

Sorry for the delay, but computer issues meant trouble getting back on. I did manage to get her started again so I could try some things. I downloaded and installed older drivers for my graphics card, and as I suspected, that did the trick. So, I can shut down as normal now once again and she restarts without issues except for speed. Now I just have to figure out why it's running so slow in general. Thanks for the help folks, and sorry again for the delay. :)

#6 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2018 - 12:17 PM

Hi canuckamuk:

No worries, just glad you're able to boot up in normal mode again.

What is the make and model of your computer, your default web browser and antivirus program?

The most common problem these days with poor performance of Vista SP2 computers is the Windows Update problem mentioned above in post # 4  - see the FAQ How to Fix Vista SP2 "Checking for Updates..." Hangs and Slow Windows Updates in the VistaForums for further details.  Did you check if your Internet Explorer 9 browser has been updated to v9.0.60 / KB4014661 (i.e., the last monthly cumulative update released for IE9 via Windows Update before extended support ended for Vista SP2 in April 2017) or try to run a manual Windows Update (Control Panel | System and Maintenance | Windows Update | Check for updates)?  If your IE9 browser is out-of-date and Windows Update seems to get stuck on the initial "Checking for updates...." phase for more than 20 min or so then you're likely affected by this problem.

If possible, it would also be helpful if you could run a quick diagnostic of your system using Piriform's free Speccy utility and then post the results so we can see a snapshot of your current system. After Speccy has collected information about your system go to File | Publish Snapshot and then copy and paste the URL this generates (e.g., http: // speccy.piriform.com/results/xxx... ) in your next reply.  If you can't download and install Speccy on your hard drive you can also save the portable version of Speccy from their builds page at https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy/builds onto a USB thumb drive (you can do this from another computer if necessary) and unzip and run the 32-bit Speccy.exe executable from the thumb drive.

Attached File  Speccy Snapshot Copy to Clipboard.png   5.8KB   0 downloads
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Norton Security v22.14.2.13 * MS Office 2003 Professional * Malwarebytes Free v3.5.1 * Speccy Free v1.32
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Edited by lmacri, 09 July 2018 - 12:21 PM.

#7 devilus

devilus

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 10 July 2018 - 05:19 AM

Hi canuckamuk:
The most common problem these days with poor performance of Vista SP2 computers is the Windows Update problem mentioned above in post # 4  - see the FAQ How to Fix Vista SP2 "Checking for Updates..." Hangs and Slow Windows Updates in the VistaForums for further details.  Did you check if your Internet Explorer 9 browser has been updated to v9.0.60 / KB4014661 (i.e., the last monthly cumulative update released for IE9 via Windows Update before extended support ended for Vista SP2 in April 2017) or try to run a manual Windows Update (Control Panel | System and Maintenance | Windows Update | Check for updates)?  If your IE9 browser is out-of-date and Windows Update seems to get stuck on the initial "Checking for updates...." phase for more than 20 min or so then you're likely affected by this problem.

Sorry Imacri. But the latest cumulative update for IE9 is KB4018271 (v9.0.61). Isn't it?

Self-built PC, Lian-Li PC-A70B, GA-EX38-DS5, Intel Core 2 Duo 3GHz, Leadtek 9600GT, Kingston 4GB DDR2, Enermax Galaxy 850W

Selective boot (F12):

Vista Ultimate SP2 32bit, installed 2008, Samsung HD502HJ (500GB, SATA)

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, installed 2016, Samsung 850 EVO (120GB, SSD)

Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64 bit, installed 2018, Intel 320 (120GB, SSD)

#8 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:09 AM

Sorry Imacri. But the latest cumulative update for IE9 is KB4018271 (v9.0.61). Isn't it?

Hi devilus:

If you read my post # 6 it says "v9.0.60 / KB4014661 (i.e., the last monthly cumulative update released for IE9 via Windows Update before extended support ended for Vista SP2 in April 2017)".

If users have IE9 v9.0.61 / KB4018271 then they likely applied the standalone .msu installers posted June 2017 in Microsoft Update Catalog that are described in the MS Answers thread thread More Shadow Brokers Exploits Patched June 2017 for Win XP and Vista and/or applied the "speed up" patches recommended in by Volume Z on page 1 of peggybegg's thread why has vista stopped automatic updates?.  The out-of-band KB4018271 patch won't be delivered via Windows Update and must be applied manually.
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Norton Security v22.14.2.13 * MS Office 2003 Professional * Speccy Free v1.32

Edited by lmacri, 10 July 2018 - 07:10 AM.

#9 Abzyx

Abzyx

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2018 - 03:40 PM

Actually, IE9 is still getting monthly cumulative updates (https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=Cumulative%20Security%20Update%20for%20Internet%20Explorer%209%20for%20Windows%20Server%202008), and they can be installed on Windows Vista, if anyone actually wants to use that old browser (as opposed to just completing their collection of official Windows Vista patches and then never using IE9 because it hasn't been patched in more than a year).

#10 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 04:00 PM

There is a reason why I asked the OP canuckamuk about their current IE9 Update Versions in post # 6.  If they are affected by the Windows Update problem discussed in the FAQ How to Fix Vista SP2 "Checking for Updates..." Hangs and Slow Windows Updates and did not receive their last batch of Vista SP2 / IE9 updates during the April 2017 Patch Tuesday (i.e., before extended support ended for Vista SP2) then the current KB number of their IE9 browser update should give me a good indication of the last time Windows Update ran successfully on their computer.  If they are affected by these "Checking for updates..." hangs then knowing the approx. date of their last IE9 update would allow me to provide a customized list of required "speed up" patches that should fix the problem on their system.
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Norton Security v22.14.2.13 * MS Office 2003 Professional * Speccy Free v1.32

Edited by lmacri, 11 July 2018 - 04:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users