Jump to content
Posted 09 June 2018 - 09:24 AM
Posted 09 June 2018 - 10:50 AM
Recently Windows 10 has been upgraded and patched to thwart Wanna cry Ransomware that uses insecure old outdated SMB 1.0 version. Windows 10 uses SMB 2 and 3 versions. So you are left with android and computer devices that still use 1.0 that cannot connect. Same goes with routers with USB ports that still use SMB 1.0. They have to be updated or replaced. However, You can still use SMB 1.0, but you have to reinstall it from "Turn Windows Features on or off" and add SMB 1.0
Posted 09 June 2018 - 11:12 AM
Thanks for the reply.
I don't believe SMB is the issue. The Android file manager I use to (try to) access the new laptop uses SMB 2. However, I have turned on SMB 1 on the new laptop, because another Android app I use to sync with my PC uses it. But both apps are having the issue I described.
Plus, as I stated in my original post, I *am* able to access the new laptop upon boot up. But at some point, something is stopping the connection.
EDIT: Also, my old laptop had no issue, even though it had been upgraded to Windows 10 v1803 before I replaced it.
Edited by digger78, 09 June 2018 - 11:18 AM.
Posted 09 June 2018 - 03:22 PM
Could be that the laptop is going into a power saving mode and that might be affecting the nic. Another thing check laptop vendor for newer drivers. ::Edit:: not sure if this is the case, but if you have different ip addresses or networks in the mix and/or dynamic ip addresses changing all the time versus static. If the drive is mapped and the ip changes then you will not be able to connect. On the laptop check service.msc and that 'Function Discovery Services' is started and set to automatic. Disable the firewall and check if that changes anything.
Edited by technonymous, 09 June 2018 - 03:38 PM.
Posted 09 June 2018 - 06:08 PM
I very much appreciate all of your suggestions.
However, I have checked Services as you suggested. I don't have an item labeled "Function Discovery Services." But I do have two similar items: "Function Discovery Provider Host" and "Function Discovery Resource Publication." Both are currently stopped and set to manual. Should either or both of these be set to automatic and started? One thing I should point out, though: I checked the same two services on another Windows 10 PC on my network--one which I have no issue connecting to from my Android devices--and they are both also set to stopped and manual. Yet I can reach these PC's from the Android devices.
Posted 10 June 2018 - 02:50 PM
When the router assigns an IP using DHCP the computers will retain the IP address for a short time until the routers lease time is up, typically 7 days. For critical systems such as NAS backup, mapped drives, printers, IP phones, smart tv's, wifi extenders etc. you will want to assign a static IP address on those devices. For me in the router DHCP settings I start the ip assignments to begin 192.168.1.11 end 192.168.1.254 Any devices that pull a ip will be in that range and any devices needed a static I just assign them manually with .2 to .10
Not sure why you don't have that service maybe because your windows 10 isn't updated? If you have no other issues other than the one Android device, then i suspect it is the culprit. You are able to connect to other machines with that Android fine right? Perhaps the software on the android used is limiting connections? Once again, depending on how new the Android is if it's using Samba 1 or not and Windows 10 doesn't have that installed it will not communicate. That component must be installed on the Windows 10.
The only thing I can think of is to reset the nic and purge all the arp tables.
Opening command prompt in administrator mode and type each command out and hit enter after each command and reboot the system.
netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset
Edited by technonymous, 10 June 2018 - 02:52 PM.
Posted 10 June 2018 - 04:15 PM
I am giving the Command Prompt commands you suggested a try. Hopefully, this does the trick.
To be clear, when I said I use DHCP on my router to assign IP's to all my devices, I meant static IP's. So I use my router's GUI to make sure each device on my network always uses a specific IP within the x.100 through x.199 range. And then any guest devices are assigned IP's x.200 and above.
I also can confirm that when the issue is happening, the laptop and Android devices are all still assigned the IP's I expect them to be assigned.
To circumvent the issue if it still occurs, last night, I set up a NAS on my router (using a thumb drive), so I can move files between the laptop and the Android devices when needed. Since then, even when the issue occurs where Android devices can't access the laptop, both are still able to access the NAS.
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users