Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network issue for Android-to-Win10 connection

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 digger78

digger78

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 09 June 2018 - 09:24 AM

Hello--

I'm at my wits' end and hope someone can help me.  I've been dealing with an issue for the past month, and I can't figure out how to solve it.  I posted twice on another site, but I am suspect of the couple of replies I got.  (They seemed "spammy.")

Anyway, here's the issues...

I bought a new laptop in early May 2018.  Currently running Windows 10 v1803.  Before setting up my new laptop, I removed my old laptop, which was running the same version of Windows, from my network.  I then setup my new laptop with the same device name as my old one.  I also updated my router settings so it would assign the MAC of my new laptop the same IP as my old one.  And I shared my needed folders on the new laptop using the same names that they were shared as on the old laptop.

Almost everything is working as expected, except when I try to access my laptop's shared folders from an Android device.  Any Android device--either of our two cell phones or our tablet.

The Android device *can* see and access the shared laptop's folders when the laptop first boots up.  But at some point, I'm then not able to see or access them anymore from the Android devices.

I can see and access them again if I reboot the laptop or disconnect/reconnect the wifi connection of my laptop.  And there are times, after the issue starts, where it does start working again without me doing anything to try to fix it.  But the issue always starts up again at some point.  (Disabling/re-enabling wifi on the Android devices doesn't seem to have any effect on the issue when it is happening.)

Both the laptop and my Android devices are running a VPN (Private Internet Access).  I've disabled it on all devices, but the issue persists.  I've also turned off the Windows Firewall, but, again, the issue persists.  Most recently, out of desperation, I reset my router, thinking perhaps it was somehow still holding onto the MAC of my old laptop.  But the issue persists.

I should also point out that when the issue is occurring--when I can't see or access the laptop from the Android devices--I can still see and access the laptop from other Windows 10 PC's on my network.  Also, I am able to see and access the other Windows 10 PC's on my network from the Android devices when the issue is occurring.  So the only connections having issues at times are the Android devices to the laptop--no other interactions are having issues.

I am not a network person, except for the basics.  So I don't know what could be causing the issue as I described--where it works sometimes, and most of the time not.  Everything I can think of would have it either work or not all the time.

My gut tells me the issue is something specific to my new laptop--a setting somewhere--as the issue didn't exist when I still had my old laptop.  But I don't know for sure.

Any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 09 June 2018 - 10:50 AM

Recently Windows 10 has been upgraded and patched to thwart Wanna cry Ransomware that uses insecure old outdated SMB 1.0 version. Windows 10 uses SMB 2 and 3 versions. So you are left with android and computer devices that still use 1.0 that cannot connect. Same goes with routers with USB ports that still use SMB 1.0. They have to be updated or replaced. However, You can still use SMB 1.0, but you have to reinstall it from "Turn Windows Features on or off" and add SMB 1.0

#3 digger78

digger78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2018 - 11:12 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I don't believe SMB is the issue.  The Android file manager I use to (try to) access the new laptop uses SMB 2.  However, I have turned on SMB 1 on the new laptop, because another Android app I use to sync with my PC uses it.  But both apps are having the issue I described.

Plus, as I stated in my original post, I *am* able to access the new laptop upon boot up.  But at some point, something is stopping the connection.

EDIT: Also, my old laptop had no issue, even though it had been upgraded to Windows 10 v1803 before I replaced it.

Edited by digger78, 09 June 2018 - 11:18 AM.

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2018 - 03:22 PM

Could be that the laptop is going into a power saving mode and that might be affecting the nic. Another thing check laptop vendor for newer drivers. ::Edit:: not sure if this is the case, but if you have different ip addresses or networks in the mix and/or dynamic ip addresses changing all the time versus static. If the drive is mapped and the ip changes then you will not be able to connect. On the laptop check service.msc and that 'Function Discovery Services' is started and set to automatic. Disable the firewall and check if that changes anything.

Edited by technonymous, 09 June 2018 - 03:38 PM.

#5 digger78

digger78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2018 - 06:08 PM

I very much appreciate all of your suggestions.

• The laptop is not going into power saving mode.  I am actively using it at times when the issue is occurring.  Also, under Device Manager, I turned off the ability for the computer to turn off the wireless adapter.
  • I have checked for drivers on the vendor's website and through Windows update.  They are all up to date (including BIOS).
  • Also, when the issue is occurring between the Androids-and-laptop, I am still able to connect to the laptop from other Windows 10 PC's on my network.  And I am also able to connect to these other Windows 10 PC's from the Android devices.
  • Re IP addresses: I use DHCP on my router to assign all of my devices a static IP.  They are definitely always being assigned the same IP.
  • I have tried turning off Windows Firewall on the laptop, but the issue persists.

However, I have checked Services as you suggested.  I don't have an item labeled "Function Discovery Services."  But I do have two similar items: "Function Discovery Provider Host" and "Function Discovery Resource Publication."  Both are currently stopped and set to manual.  Should either or both of these be set to automatic and started?  One thing I should point out, though: I checked the same two services on another Windows 10 PC on my network--one which I have no issue connecting to from my Android devices--and they are both also set to stopped and manual.  Yet I can reach these PC's from the Android devices.

#6 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2018 - 02:50 PM

When the router assigns an IP using DHCP the computers will retain the IP address for a short time until the routers lease time is up, typically 7 days. For critical systems such as NAS backup, mapped drives, printers, IP phones, smart tv's, wifi extenders etc. you will want to assign a static IP address on those devices. For me in the router DHCP settings I start the ip assignments to begin 192.168.1.11 end 192.168.1.254 Any devices that pull a ip will be in that range and any devices needed a static I just assign them manually with .2 to .10

Not sure why you don't have that service maybe because your windows 10 isn't updated? If you have no other issues other than the one Android device, then i suspect it is the culprit. You are able to connect to other machines with that Android fine right? Perhaps the software on the android used is limiting connections? Once again, depending on how new the Android is if it's using Samba 1 or not and Windows 10 doesn't have that installed it will not communicate. That component must be installed on the Windows 10.

The only thing I can think of is to reset the nic and purge all the arp tables.

Opening command prompt in administrator mode and type each command out and hit enter after each command and reboot the system.

netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

ipconfig /flushdns

nbtstat -R
nbtstat -RR

Edited by technonymous, 10 June 2018 - 02:52 PM.

#7 digger78

digger78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2018 - 04:15 PM

I am giving the Command Prompt commands you suggested a try.  Hopefully, this does the trick.

To be clear, when I said I use DHCP on my router to assign IP's to all my devices, I meant static IP's.  So I use my router's GUI to make sure each device on my network always uses a specific IP within the x.100 through x.199 range.  And then any guest devices are assigned IP's x.200 and above.

I also can confirm that when the issue is happening, the laptop and Android devices are all still assigned the IP's I expect them to be assigned.

To circumvent the issue if it still occurs, last night, I set up a NAS on my router (using a thumb drive), so I can move files between the laptop and the Android devices when needed.  Since then, even when the issue occurs where Android devices can't access the laptop, both are still able to access the NAS.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users