Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot establish a connection with my Windows XP Virutal Machine

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Gavindale

Gavindale

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 09 June 2018 - 08:30 AM

Yesterday I tried to boot up my Windows XP Virtual Machine, and got a screen saying I need to activate Windows with Microsoft before I can use my Virtual Machine. I am getting a screen saying that my computer can't establish a connection. My computer is wired to the internet, what should I do?

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 09 June 2018 - 04:05 PM.
Moved from XP to 'Virtual machines and VM programs'

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 09 June 2018 - 04:11 PM

I believe you will get some restricted use of XP until you get it activated, but you need to do it from the VM machine, ie from XP. This means you need to be able to connect to your internet from it which means you need the ethernet drivers since you are wired. If the drivers are installed go into Device Manager and make sure that there are no problems with the drivers.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Gavindale

Gavindale
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2018 - 04:33 PM

Chris, thanks for getting back to me! Yeah, from what I learned while trying to boot my Windows XP VM, I need to activate it before I can use it at all. Would it be possible to download those drivers you are talking about? How would I go about doing that, and how would I install them if I can't do anything but activate?

#4 Gavindale

Gavindale
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2018 - 04:59 PM

And how do I go about checking those drivers too?

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,713 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2018 - 05:28 PM

This is where it gets iffy !  You have XP running in a VM, but it is running on your existing hardware so you need the drivers for XP for that hardware, which may not exist !  The obvious first place to start is your mobo's maker's web-site and I would look for the chip-set drivers.

Any OS running in a VM is not running in a vacumn, it has to interface with the hardware or it won't run properly. It would be helpful if you could give the basic details on your computer - make and model and base OS at a mininum. If it's a self-built, then mobo make and model, graphics card if a separate one and the amount of RAM installed.

If your mobo maker doesn't support XP with drivers it's not the end of the World but you are then going to have to go hunting for drivers which will work. If MS have stopped your install of XP working at all I believe you get 30 days from install to authenticate. I believe you can re-set this clock by uninstalling it from your VM and then re-installing at some convenient time, ie when you have found some drivers to try !

Just curiosity, but what are you wanting to do with XP ?

Chris Cosgrove

#6 Gavindale

Gavindale
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2018 - 06:07 PM

Is it possible to have drivers for more than one operating system at the same time? Also, just as a heads up, this whole "cannot establish connection" is news to me, because there was a point time when I had this VM running fine. I know this because, once it was installed, I had to run it to check and make sure the intended software was in working order. You asked what I want to run on XP, I have some AD&D software that will run "properly" on XP, not other operating systems. So yes, this virtual machine ran at one point in time. And I haven't changed anything since then, not sure why the virtual machine suddenly stopped working internet-wise. This computer is not self-built, I got it from Microcenter.com.  The primary OS is Windows 10.

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,713 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2018 - 05:41 PM

It is possible i may have misled you on the need for drivers, I have asked for a second opinion on this.

Your ethernet drivers should still show up in Device manager.

Chris Cosgrove

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,988 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2018 - 07:31 PM

What VM software are you using? Virtual Box or VMware? Is the XP install disk an OEM like Dell or HP?

Does the AD&D software require an internet connection? What is the make and model of the computer using the VM? What is the network adapter shown in Device Manager of Windows 10? What is the Network Adapter shown in XP's Device Manager and is there a yellow exclamation mark next to it.

I do not have much experience with VMs but normally when installing a guest OS the network adapter will be automatically selected.

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 June 2018 - 08:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users