Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I upgrade the PC or am I better off saving up for a new rig?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 LordSushi

LordSushi

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 09 June 2018 - 08:17 AM

As title. I'm looking to upgrade my PC (if it is worth upgrading). I am looking at replacing the CPU and Graphics Card with something better mainly to play AAA games on low-medium graphics at 60fps since currently, it barely gets 60fps on low settings. My current budget is around AUD500.00 and am looking for recommendations with my setup. 

Here is the summary of my PC setup along with a photo (excuse the dust). 

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i3 4170 @ 3.70GHz 70 °C
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac (CPUSocket) 46 °C
Graphics:
E2351 (1920x1080@60Hz)
HP L2208w (1680x1050@59Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 (EVGA) 67 °C
Storage
931GB Seagate ST1000DX001-1NS162 (SATA ) 37 °C
Optical Drives
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224DB
Audio
NVIDIA High Definition Audio

IMAG0501.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 09 June 2018 - 09:19 AM

GPU prices are still very high but luckily for you low end prices are quite reasonable. Something like that would give nice boost https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/HKrcCJ/gigabyte-radeon-rx-560-4gb-gaming-oc-video-card-gv-rx560gaming-oc-4gd

Also if you could get used and cheap (under $80 or so) quad core CPU (like i5-4690K, i7-4770K etc) that would also help. Because LGA1150 is long time obsolete socket, there is no point investing too much for it.

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 09 June 2018 - 07:34 PM

Any information on that case of yours?

Also: get a air duster! seriously clean that thing out its so dusty, if its one thing that can kill a computer it is dust.

Get can of air at the very least, sheesh!

Edited by MadmanRB, 09 June 2018 - 07:36 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#4 LordSushi

LordSushi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2018 - 12:44 AM

Any information on that case of yours?

Also: get a air duster! seriously clean that thing out its so dusty, if its one thing that can kill a computer it is dust.

Get can of air at the very least, sheesh!

I tried looking for a serial number but couldn't find any information. It was bought from Umart as a bundle along with the power supply. 

Will do! I only noticed that it was that dusty after opening it up. 

#5 LordSushi

LordSushi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2018 - 12:51 AM

GPU prices are still very high but luckily for you low end prices are quite reasonable. Something like that would give nice boost https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/HKrcCJ/gigabyte-radeon-rx-560-4gb-gaming-oc-video-card-gv-rx560gaming-oc-4gd

Also if you could get used and cheap (under $80 or so) quad core CPU (like i5-4690K, i7-4770K etc) that would also help. Because LGA1150 is long time obsolete socket, there is no point investing too much for it.

Thank you for the recommendations and the sound advice! I will definitely look into upgrading to the Radeon RX 560 4GB video card and I think the i5-4690K would suit my needs. All that's needed now is some bargain hunting! 

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,166 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2018 - 07:17 AM

Well there is one part i would get that is more important than a new processor or gpu....

I would get a new power supply.

That looks to be a older thermal take PSU and those have had some very mixed reviews.

A good PSU is critical and I would reference this:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/

Its a good point of reference.

For a good PSU anything tier 3 and above is good for most gaming rigs with tier 3 being affordable for most budge builders, they will not be the best but they are affordable and last you longer then anything below them.

Avoid tier 4 and below unless it becomes absolutely nessasary

Also i would not get the  i5-4690K as its at least $500 AUD so dont bother with it.

Get the GPU, get a new PSU and wait on the processor until you get some funds together so you can get other parts.

Edited by MadmanRB, 10 June 2018 - 07:22 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#7 LordSushi

LordSushi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2018 - 01:50 AM

Well there is one part i would get that is more important than a new processor or gpu....

I would get a new power supply.

That looks to be a older thermal take PSU and those have had some very mixed reviews.

A good PSU is critical and I would reference this:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/

Its a good point of reference.

For a good PSU anything tier 3 and above is good for most gaming rigs with tier 3 being affordable for most budge builders, they will not be the best but they are affordable and last you longer then anything below them.

Avoid tier 4 and below unless it becomes absolutely nessasary

Also i would not get the  i5-4690K as its at least $500 AUD so dont bother with it.

Get the GPU, get a new PSU and wait on the processor until you get some funds together so you can get other parts.

That's a valid point. Sometimes my PC restarts itself for no apparent reason... this may be the cause of it (and the dust but I'll be taking care of it). 

I suppose that the current CPU should be able to handle the new GPU with no issues and the current PSU is shotty so replacing it would take higher priority XD

Thanks! 

#8 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,364 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2018 - 09:49 AM

Also make sure your cpu cooler is properly mounted and maybe replace the thermal paste. 

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users