Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD errors since Windows Update in Mid-Late March 2018

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 LukeNecklace

LukeNecklace

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 09 June 2018 - 03:21 AM

Hello Bleeping Computer forum people,

Forgive me for the TL;DR, but I am doing my best to give you information to get the best help.

It all started shortly after a Windows update back in mid-late March this year.

I have been going to hell and back, I have done it 4 times now (I have re-installed windows 4 times) to try and fix it. I have tested and replaced my RAM, tested my CPU, updated all drivers, and heck, I even replaced my motherboard, but I am still getting them. At the start of installing windows, windows might operate OK for a few days where I almost get convinced that I have fixed it before I get a blue screen again, then I get a blue screen at least once a day for a while, then it starts happening 2-3 times day before I get sick of it and re-install windows and the process happens all over again. If that's not a well-known method of going insane. I don't know what is! :P

The behaviour with blue screens seems different each time. At the moment; it happens after I play a game, or during the game, I will get a BSOD, sometimes after restarting the computer or if I am opening a webpage, it will happen. When it gets worse, it happens when the system is idle too.

The latest: I reinstalled windows last Sunday. It was fine until Thursday. On Thursday; Windows complained that my video driver failed. I used device manager to update the driver. The next day, I got a blue screen. I reverted the changes, and now I am getting blue screens at least once a day.

The kernel codes I get are always different but these seem the most common:

MEMORY_MANAGEMENT

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONEPAGED_AREA

CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED

WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (If this happens, there is a 90% chance that my computer will get stuck on a BSOD loop after it restarts, forcing Windows to go into a repair mode because it did not load properly. This usually happens during the later stages of having Windows installed before I decide to reinstall again).

These ones are rare. I have only ever gotten one or two of these each that I remember:

CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT

SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY

POOL_CORRUPTION_IN_FILE_AREA

ATTEMPTED_EXECUTE_OF_NOEXECUTE_MEMORY

VIDEO_MEMORY_MANAGEMENT_INTERNAL

DRIVER_VIOLATION

Sometimes a blue screen of death will happen without any kernel code at all.

Also, my minidump folder will sometimes get deleted after I experience a blue screen. I have tried fixing this at no avail, so I do not have all of my blue screens to date since last reinstall, but I can provide some minidump information.

I really don't know what the cause is, I am hoping someone will be able to make sense of some of this mess for me. Posting a forum thread about my computer means that I am getting driven mad and please someone help rid me of these blasted blue screen errors so I don't have to reinstall Windows again for nothing.

I'll attach any files necessary for you guys to help me. I am so determined to fix this problem before I lose my marbles.

Thanks for your help in advanced!

Regards,

Luke

EDIT: Link to Speccy: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/er66QwgwXWQcgf758w5Leg4

Attached Files

Edited by LukeNecklace, 09 June 2018 - 03:42 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 axe0

axe0

• Malware Study Hall Junior
  • 256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 09 June 2018 - 03:38 AM

Hi LukeNecklace,

:welcome: to BC.

Please answer the questions in https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/ that haven't been answered yet.

Kind regards,
Axe0

#3 LukeNecklace

LukeNecklace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2018 - 03:43 AM

Hello axe0,

Thank you for your welcome and for reminding me. I forgot to post my Speccy link. I have added it to the bottom of my original post. Please check now. 

Sorry about that!

Edited by LukeNecklace, 09 June 2018 - 03:44 AM.

#4 axe0

axe0

• 256 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2018 - 04:05 AM

Please answer the following, currently leftover, questions

1. What was the original installed OS on the system?
  2. Age of the computer (hardware)?
  3. What is the power supply?

Kind regards,
Axe0

#5 LukeNecklace

LukeNecklace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2018 - 04:36 AM

1. What was the original installed OS on the system? - Windows 10 Home 64-bit
  2. Age of the computer (hardware)? - 5 years old, except for the video card which is about 8 months old.
  3. What is the power supply? - 1000w coolmaster.

#6 axe0

axe0

• 256 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2018 - 12:56 PM

Please do the following in the order posted

CrystalDiskInfo

• Please download the standard zip edition of CrystalDiskInfo and extract the zip file.
  • Open DiskMark64.exe, if you get a message from User Account Control, click Yes
  • In the menu click Function, select Advanced Feature, select Raw Values and click 10[DEC]
  • Below the menu you may see multiple blue orbs, these represent your hard drives, click on either of them to switch
  • Make screenshots of each drive displayed in CrystalDiskInfo and upload the screenshots.

Chkdsk

• Right click on the Windows logo and click Windows Powershell (Admin)
  • Type chkdsk /r and press enter
  • If you're asked to schedule, press Y and save & close any work you're doing and reboot the system
  • This process may take some time, depending on how much chkdsk has to do it can take about 30 minutes up to several hours to finish.

It may look like chkdsk is frozen, this is NOT the case. The first 3 out of 5 phases are the fastest which is why the progress may quickly go to 12-20%, the last 2 phases is checking the used space and the free space on corruption.
Interrupting chkdsk may result in data loss or other issues.

Kind regards,
Axe0

#7 LukeNecklace

LukeNecklace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2018 - 09:32 PM

I tried to follow all of your instructions.

CrystalDiskInfo

I was not able to follow points 3 and 4 of your instructions because those options and 'blue orbs' do not exist in the program, maybe because the program has been updated. I attempted to use my initiative to get you information about my hard disks from this program. Please provide alternative instructions if this is not sufficient:

C:

WyqU6Hc.png

G:

IYPvk3z.png

H:

Bg8EWTI.png

I:

Htr981S.png

J:

V9UN07p.png

R:

IEGp3gl.png

Chkdsk:

I typed chkdsk /r into Windows Powershell (Admin) and upon restarting my computer to do the check, I got a MEMORY_MANAGEMENT blue screen of death. However, upon restart, it performed the scan. I was not sure of the results because it seemed to have just restarted back into Windows OK and nothing came up telling me the results of the scan, so I am not sure whether or not it found, fixed or did not fix anything.

Please note that I have performed these scans before and they do not seem to fix my blue screen issues. However, if you know a way of pulling the results of the scans so I can show you, please let me know how to do this. In the mean time, I will report back if I get anymore blue screen errors.

Edited by LukeNecklace, 09 June 2018 - 09:35 PM.

#8 axe0

axe0

• 256 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2018 - 02:58 AM

I believe I did not provide the right link, please use this one https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/

Kind regards,
Axe0

#9 LukeNecklace

LukeNecklace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2018 - 03:24 AM

That is the same program.

#10 axe0

axe0

• 256 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2018 - 03:57 AM

There are downloads for 2 programs, make sure that you choose the BLUE standard zip edition which should download CrystalDiskInfo7_6_0.zip with a file called DiskInfo64.exe.

I chose the wrong download so the filename in my previous post is wrong.

Kind regards,
Axe0

#11 LukeNecklace

LukeNecklace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2018 - 04:07 AM

I now have the program which matches your instructions exactly. Here you go:

EebsfSF.png

rgEnFvu.png

qIedh4R.png

#12 axe0

axe0

• 256 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2018 - 04:20 AM

The first WDC drive needs to be replaced a.s.a.p., the bad sectors are at least 5 times as much as the drive can handle. This drive may very well be the reason for your trouble.

Kind regards,
Axe0

#13 LukeNecklace

LukeNecklace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2018 - 04:33 AM

I was concerned about that when I saw the results, but I was not sure how serious it was. It certainly did not look good.

I am now in the process of copying files from that drive onto my second WDC drive, which is still healthy, so I can keep the information I want. This will not take long, and then I will replace the drive and I will see how it goes. I just hope I do not get any blue screens during the copying process.

This is certainly an avenue I have not explored. Many disk scans were not detecting any problems or bad sectors with my external hard drive but CrystalDiskInfo seems to be able to pick things up a lot better than your standard check disk.

I will report back if I continue to get blue screens after the drive is disconnected.

Thank you for your patience and your on-going assistance with my problem. Hopefully once I fix this, it will resolve all of my problems.

Edited by LukeNecklace, 10 June 2018 - 04:34 AM.

#14 axe0

axe0

• 256 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2018 - 04:42 AM

The standard check disk is great as well, but because a drive can only handle so much, chkdsk can only do so much.

I like to use CrystalDiskInfo to read the SMART just to check if chkdsk will be of use regarding the sectors, but your eventlog already showed that Windows detected bad sectors..

Edited by axe0, 10 June 2018 - 04:42 AM.

Kind regards,
Axe0

#15 LukeNecklace

LukeNecklace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2018 - 04:48 AM

I'm not at all that accustomed to reading the event log and responding to problems there, I probably should learn all that, but when I was trying to resolve the issues myself, I just kept getting told it's bad drivers over and over again, but the longer I've had this issue the less i believed that was actually the cause... Anyway, let's see what this does. I'll keep you up to date.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users