Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell SupportAssist: good, bad or indifferent?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 638 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 08 June 2018 - 01:34 PM

Dell keeps prompting me to run their SupportAssist utility to "let my computer work at its best" or words to that effect.  i have a Dell desktop (XPS 8700) and a Dell laptop (Inspiron 5537).  SupportAssist was apparently installed as part of Windows 10, or perhaps already present before then (the desktop originally came with Windows 7, the laptop with Windows 8; both have been running happily with Windows 10 ever since the free upgrade era).  Being wary of "optimization" software, I have avoided using SupportAssist.  Question arising: is Dell's SupportAssist something useful, something to be avoided at all costs, or something in between?

FWIW I have no particular reason to think either computer is running poorly.

Thanks for enlightenment!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 08 June 2018 - 01:59 PM

Personally I wouldn't install it and would hunt down and kill the nag that keeps prompting for it.  Here is the Dell side of the story.

Bottom line, the more stuff you have running the more opportunities for things to go wrong.  If you feel the need to install it, it isn't going to hurt you.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users