Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

5.1 and hi-res audio suddenly disabled in Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 shuggyo

shuggyo

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 08 June 2018 - 01:04 PM

I have a Yamaha RX-V377 receiver hooked up to my Dell Inspiron 3847 desktop. The original setup was an HDMI cord output from my desktop to a 1 x 2 HDMI switcher, with one HDMI cord connected to the Yamaha and another going out to a Harmon-Kardon receiver in my living room. Both receivers have played 5.1 surround and up to 24-192 hi-res audio since I hooked them up two years ago.

The other day I connected a new Dell UltraSharp 24 monitor to the desktop. The old monitor was connected with the old-timey screw-in pin connector; but the only way I could use the new monitor was with an HDMI cord.

I bought a 1 x 4 HDMI splitter, hooked everything into it, and my monitor and all my audio worked fine. However, the next day when I turned the Yamaha receiver back on, my surround sound was disabled and I could only get audio up to 24-48 hi-res. The receiver in my living room is still getting 5.1 and 24-192 hi-res. I plugged the Yamaha cord into that slot, but the problem persisted. I tried a different cord, same result.

Under the Windows 10 Settings/Sound, it lists the Yamaha receiver as the default device, but only in stereo and only up to 24-48 audio.

Under Device Manager/Audio Inputs and Outputs, the Yamaha receiver is the only device listed. I uninstalled it, rebooted the computer and it showed up again, but no fix. Under Sound, Video and Game Controllers, it lists Intel Display Audio and Realtek High Definition Audio, which I have never needed to use. Realtek is disabled in the Sound settings.

I updated the Intel drivers (no fix), then uninstalled them and rebooted (no fix).

My Windows 10 is updated.

Since Intel HD Graphics regulates HDMI, I checked that.  In the HD Graphics Control Panel under General Settings/Select Display, it lists “Digital Television RX-V377.” It is the only device listed. Below that it lists monitor specs, such as Resolution and Refresh Rate. There is no mention of the Dell monitor.

Under Multiple Displays, it lists the receiver as Single Display and gives no option to add another display. Again, no mention of the Dell monitor.

A couple things: When I turn the Yamaha receiver off, my monitor screen goes black for a couple seconds, then comes back on with everything on the screen enlarged. When I turn the receiver back on, it reverts back to normal screen resolution, which is set at 1920 x 1080 resolution with a 59p HZ refresh rate. This was originally 29, but the screen was flickering, so I increased the rate to fix it.

When I click on “Show hidden icons” on my taskbar, it shows a monitor icon. When I put my mouse over it, the message, “Please connect a supported Dell monitor“ appears. When I click on the prompt, “Open Dell Display Manager” nothing happens. Yet the monitor is working fine and is listed in Device Manager.

I do not have another way to connect the new monitor to the desktop except with HDMI.

Another funny thing: even though the Harmon-Kardon receiver in my living room is getting signals fine, nothing on my computer recognizes it, although before the change the computer and the foobar software would always list it as being connected.

I have spent the last two days searching online for an answer, to no avail. Nearly all the search results simply say to uninstall/upgrade drivers, which I have already tried. Any help would be much appreciated.

Edited by hamluis, 08 June 2018 - 01:23 PM.
Moved from Audio/Video Apps to External Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shuggyo

shuggyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 08 October 2018 - 07:24 PM

Wow - in four months, not a single reply? Am searching everyday for an answer and still no solution. Was this transferred to a wrong section?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users