Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen hang on boot [Win 10 ver 1803]

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DrunkeNinja

DrunkeNinja

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 08 June 2018 - 09:47 AM

It has been some years since I have been here, but I remember you guys are the BEST at what you do.

So I have been tinkering with this problem for a few days and can usually resolve most issues but this one has me stumped. I am pretty stubborn and would prefer to not let this beat me by doing a system restore.

After the latest 1803 creators update my laptop would boot past the windows logo and the spinning circle, then go to a black screen, it would not show the auto login screen and the only way to proceed is a hard power down (holding the power button for around 5 seconds). This is erratic behavior however and on occasion it boots fine, strangely though if it does it once, resets will result in the same issue. after 3 hard resets I find my self at the repair options, a boot repair did found no problems.

So far I have discovered that if I boot to safe mode and do a restart, at least in the 4 or 5 times I have tried, it will boot in the normal manner to my desktop, but this is somewhat arduous booting to safe mode just to restart and reboot. I have tried the few fixes I have read such as disabling fast boot to no avail. I have also tried updating display drivers and uninstalling HID pointer devices as another website suggested.

Speccy Snapshot: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/EG4qGJsCMqK2BHblULdWk6s

Thanks a lot guys for joining my journey.

Edited by DrunkeNinja, 08 June 2018 - 12:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 axe0

axe0

• Malware Study Hall Junior
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 08 June 2018 - 11:30 AM

Hi DrunkeNinja,

Please provide answers to the following questions:

1. What was the original installed OS on the system?
  2. Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from retailer)?
  3. Age of the computer (hardware)?
  4. Have you re-installed the OS?
  5. What power supply are you using?

Kind regards,
Axe0

#3 DrunkeNinja

DrunkeNinja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2018 - 11:48 AM

Hi DrunkeNinja,

Please provide answers to the following questions:

1. What was the original installed OS on the system?
  2. Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from retailer)?
  3. Age of the computer (hardware)?
  4. Have you re-installed the OS?
  5. What power supply are you using?

1. Windows 8.1

2. Installed Windows 10 with the free upgrade, then (I think) I did a full clean install from DVD

3. Laptop was released at the end of 2014 I believe, you can find the detailed specs in the requested speccy snapshot in the original post. 

4. Not recently (if at all), also haven't done a restore in a very long time, only issue was since the 1803 update (seems to be a widespread issue)

5. Standard OEM power supply, 19V 9.5A (charges the battery perfectly fine)

Never had an issue like this with the Laptop, this is 100% caused by some in-compatibility with the latest Creators update, as the problems occurred immediately after.

Edited by DrunkeNinja, 08 June 2018 - 11:52 AM.

#4 axe0

axe0

• Malware Study Hall Junior
  • 341 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2018 - 12:10 PM

I noticed some suspicious entries in your logs.

• PUPs that are known to severely damage an OS or contribute to it such as Advanced SystemCare, overall IObit software are considered PUPs (have a look around the BC community to see why) and in this case potentially harmful because of their history.
  • Software that illegally activate Microsoft software

The latter is the reason why I will refrain from providing support until it is cleared up. Clarification on this matter:

• Piracy is against the policy of this forum, and against my own policy
  • It is unknown what could've come with it, such programs often have a way of letting other software come into your system and who knows what they'll do.
  • Since it is unknown what could've come with such programs it is unknown what the behavior of your system will be and any potential solutions may, as a result, backfire and make your system's stability worse.

Regarding IObit software, if you don't have a restore point prior the use of them or any other backup I would recommend to cleanly install Windows. If you do have a restore point, or backup prior the IObit programs, please use it.

Kind regards,
Axe0

#5 eLPuSHeR

eLPuSHeR

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2018 - 12:16 PM

Have anyone tried this util?: BitRemover. It looks handy...

#6 DrunkeNinja

DrunkeNinja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2018 - 12:44 PM

Well thanks for all the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users