Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New to using smart phones

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 GonraHil

GonraHil

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 08 June 2018 - 05:22 AM

Hello,

Having never used a smartphone before, I have a few questions about using a prepaid Simple Mobile ZTE ZFive G LTE phone that I purchased with an unlimited call,
text, and data plan.

1.) Is there a way I can create my own hotspot, and password protect it so I would be exclusive to that network? Would I be correct in guessing this would be a safer way to use the internet on my phone?

2.) Is it recommended that I get an anti-virus for my phone, or are there precautions that I should take in order to maintain my phone's safety?

3.) What is a Wi-fi call?

4.) What does it mean if you switch on Mobile Data Allow data access over mobile network?

I would appreciate any input someone can share about this, as I am still a novice.  :bowdown:   :lmao:

Edited by GonraHil, 08 June 2018 - 05:24 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 08 June 2018 - 07:13 AM

Worth A Look.

Louis

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,025 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2018 - 09:15 AM

Hello,

Having never used a smartphone before, I have a few questions about using a prepaid Simple Mobile ZTE ZFive G LTE phone that I purchased with an unlimited call,
text, and data plan.

1.) Is there a way I can create my own hotspot, and password protect it so I would be exclusive to that network? Would I be correct in guessing this would be a safer way to use the internet on my phone?

You are mixing apples and oranges with this question. If your phone comes with a data plan that is how it will connect to the internet by default. You can, and most people do, set up your smartphone to connect to WiFi networks of your choosing, when these are available, so that you are not using your mobile data, which does tend to have some limit on it, even if that limit relates only to speed being throttled if you use more than a certain amount of mobile data in a billing period.

Your phone may (and most likely does) have a feature where it can be turned into a mobile hotspot so that you can connect your computer(s) or other WiFi enabled devices to it, using your mobile data plan to connect them to the internet. I've done this when I'm traveling and there is no convenient WiFi available and I need to do something online. This is a feature I keep turned off unless I need it, even though the connection via the phone is password protected. There's no point in advertising yourself as a mobile hotspot (or even having Bluetooth turned on) unless you're using something that requires that feature to be on.

2.) Is it recommended that I get an anti-virus for my phone, or are there precautions that I should take in order to maintain my phone's safety?

I would be somewhat surprised if your phone did not come with antivirus already installed, as most do these days. However, if it did not, I would recommend snagging an antivirus scanner/security suite from the Google Play store, choosing one from one of the major players with familiar brand names in the PC world. One that's well known in the Android world, but not PC world, is called Lookout.

3.) What is a Wi-fi call?

Exactly what it sounds like. Normally a call will be made through your cellular airtime (and these days, with unlimited calling, typically always is), but you can tell your phone to use VOIP (voice over internet protocol) to make calls via WiFi, rather than using your cellular airtime, when it is connected to a WiFi access point. The main reason this is handy these days is if you happen to be somewhere that you do not have a cellular signal, but you do have WiFi available for your use. That allows you to make a call you would not otherwise be able to make.

4.) What does it mean if you switch on Mobile Data Allow data access over mobile network?

It means that you wish to allow your device to actually use your mobile data minutes for internet access. If you turn this off, and you do not have an alternate internet connection like WiFi, you will not be able to go online when you're out and about. This setting is typically ON by default.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#4 GonraHil

GonraHil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2018 - 11:52 AM

Hello hamluis and britechguy,

Thank you for responding to my thread!  :)  :grinner:

Worth A Look.

Louis

Thank you very much for the recommendation. I think I will pick up a copy.  :)

If your phone comes with a data plan that is how it will connect to the internet by default. 

If I used this option of connecting to the Internet, would this phone be secure in the same respect as if Earthlink was my Internet carrier, by default that's how I would get online
with a desktop or laptop computer? I'm trying to measure the level of security that that my phone would have.

For example, am I correct in assuming that if I pay bills over the phone, a hacker can potentially retrieve that information if I connect this phone into a public WiFi? Also, what would happen if I deleted my call history?

This is a feature I keep turned off unless I need it, even though the connection via the phone is password protected. There's no point in advertising yourself as a mobile hotspot (or even having Bluetooth turned on) unless you're using something that requires that feature to be on.

I don't understand this statement...the phone is password protected for your own hotspot, and yet still not secure? I have read about Bluetooth providing holes in computer security and try to stay away from devices that use that technology. Still, I admit that they sure can free up space. lol

If you were to make a call to someone who has not been browsing the Internet safely with their phone, can you get a virus if you call them, text them, or receive a call or open a text from them on a smart phone?

I appreciate both of your responses, and look forward to reading more about this topic.

Thanks again,

**Gonra**

Edited by GonraHil, 11 June 2018 - 11:58 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users