Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No POST - power switches off right after power on.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nicklarge

nicklarge

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 07 June 2018 - 09:52 PM

Hi.

I have a rebuild that replaced my previous desktop build where the EPU melted (I had to scrap the motherboard and 1000W semi-mod power supply on that one).  Any way - I put this new machine together about 3 months ago using the processor, memory, cpu and chassis fans from the previous build.  It has been working seamlessly since it was put together.  No heating or whiring issues or anything at all.  Very happy with it until today when it just switched off by itself - total power off no shutdown.  I tried the power switch and it started for about half a second (looks like the chassis fans and CPU fans start, then the system switches off).  I removed the connections for the hard drives and retried - same thing.  I also tried removing all the ram - same issue; I then replaced the video card - same thing.  Not sure if anyone has any ideas at this point.  I could try replacing the PSU and see if that works but was wondering if anyone has any further ideas.  Thanks in advance.

Motherboard:   ASRock 970A-G/3.1

Power Supply: CORSAIR RMx Series RM850x (CP-9020180-NA) 850W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Power Supply

CPU: AMD FX-8150 Zambezi 8-Core 3.6 GHz Socket AM3+ 125W FD8150FRGUBOX Desktop Processor

Memory: 32GB DDR3

Edited by nicklarge, 07 June 2018 - 09:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,845 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 08 June 2018 - 09:05 AM

The power supply has failed or it is sensing a short and shutting off to protect itself.  My first step would be to replace the power supply.

#3 nicklarge

nicklarge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 08 June 2018 - 09:50 AM

Thanks.  I think that is what I will do - CORSAIR have a 10 year warranty on the PSU so I will probably buy a regular 750 for around $60 and try that; if that solves the problem then I will send back the CORSAIR PSU.  One other thing I noticed is that I have a wireless keyboard USB adapter plugged into the back of the unit which has a light when powered and this light stays active even after the unit starts and stops as explained in my earlier post.  What confuses me is how the light could be on if the PSU has shorted power to the board.  Maybe the motherboard connector is working, providing power to the board which would keep the light on, but some other point on the board shorts out which prevents the chassis fan and cpu fan from spinning or any POST.  I am also hoping this issue is not CPU or CPU fan related.  

I checked the EPU and motherboard connectors and plugs and I do not see any scorching or melting - it looks fine.

Either way I think that to move forward I need to cancel out the chance that it is the PSU that is acting strange.  As a side note I think that in order to build out your own desktop it is almost like you would need to buy 2 of every component (except hard drive) just to be able to troubleshoot these issues if they occur.  My previous machine worked for about 6 years before the EPU melted.

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,845 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 08 June 2018 - 04:43 PM

Most power supplies today have dead front power switches, this means there is 5 volts ON all the time to sense the power switch and turn on the rest of the PS.  If th 5 volts LED is on, then the 12 volt supply is faulted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users