Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

password recording

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jakrat

jakrat

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 07 June 2018 - 07:52 PM

I am currently running Windows 7 with Kaspersky antivirus etc. Had a few technical hardware problems a few months ago, and renewal/re-install of Kaspersky. Anyhow, until a few days ago, someone (or something) was remembering my user ID's and passwords when I signed onto things like Facebook, e-mail etc... THEN, a couple of days ago, it suddenly quit doing it. I have scoured the internet settings without success, and Kaspersky likewise. This was very useful, obviously, and I want to recover the facility.

Any ideas, guys?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 07 June 2018 - 08:09 PM

Do you have any idea what it was called...?....do you remember any words etc on the window which must have opened when saving a password...?

Have there been any major updates.....either OS or any other,  in the past few days...?...around the time it stopped working ?

Have you changed browser recently ?

Is there any chance this was included with kaspersky ? I am not familiar with the working/deals from kaspersky myself.....

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 08 June 2018 - 03:47 AM

My browsers remember my userid and passwords for many site because I allow them to do it and many time you are prompted to save/update.

Even if I come to this community my system will autofill the fields and even ask me if I want to save the credentials:

[attachment=204970:Untitled.jpg]

Depending on your browser you can configure many things:

[attachment=204971:1.jpg]

If I want to sign in to BC, Facebook or email I choose to have my system remember those things so I don't have to remember them.  I could also choose to have my system not remember those things and I would have to enter credentials on every site that needs them every time i visit.

Your browser will remember those things as cookies (little files that get saved) and if you go to your browser settings to clear the cache and things some will even give you an option to save stored user ids and passwords or clear them:

[attachment=204972:2.jpg]

You can see that Chrome has my BC credentials saved as a cookie so I don't have to remember it everytime I want to login to BC:

[attachment=204973:3.jpg]

If I go to my browsers and clear all my cache and history AND if I choose to delete cookies and stored user ids and passwords I would have to enter them again on every site I need credentials - and sometimes I do that but it is inconvenient.

So if your system was remembering things it could be because you allowed it to do so - and then if it suddenly seemed to stop it could be that your chose to clear your browser history, cache AND cookies, it could be that Kaspersky has a setting that tells it to scan and also clear your browser setting AND cookies, it could be lots of things.

Doesn't sound nefarious at the moment.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users