Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My WD 1T external drive keeps asking to be format

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Mysons

Mysons

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 07 June 2018 - 05:51 PM

Hello all,

My first time posting but been reading all the threads, amazing group of technical support is found here. A lot of help and guidance is provided with excellent results and resolutions. (fixes)

I'm having a tough time getting to recover all my files from my WD 1T External drive. Wont recognize drive - Wont show either 

At first - when I plug in the device - I can see the drive flashing or blinking rapidly - after a while, there is this msg that popped up - says - device need to be format... Oh !! I said NO way .. So I ran a chkdsk on that drive - after an overnight check/fix

Restart laptop - I was now able to see the drive F: - However, When I go to click on F: - it won't bring anything and after a while Not responding. I tried this on three different computers - I bought an application for recovery - Installed app -

Open App and directed to device F: It ran for hours (12hs at least - It found all my files but when I tried to hit recover - it failed

but it was taking it sweet time - 8 hours and only recovered 3 files...950 G of data and I can't get to recover.

I'm trying not to go to theses expensive companies that would charge me $400-$1000 to help me recover my data.

Is there any other way I can recover my files - program/or software I can purchase  ?  Also, my computers are not top notch processor , probably need a computer with allot of speed.. 

can anyone assist me in get my 950 G of data .. for each time I take it to a different computer - at first , its looking at formatting the drive.. not a good sign...:(

Appreciate any help or guide to help me resolve this dilemma.. Thanks you all in advance

Matt (Canada) 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,851 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 07 June 2018 - 06:18 PM

Personally, depending on how important this data is I would seek out a professional recovery service. From your post I would hazard a guess the drive is failing. Doing a chkdsk on a failing drive can make recovery harder. When the drive is attached how is it shown in Disk Management? 

Download GsmartControl. Do not do any scans as this can cause the drive to fail completely. Run the program, click on your external drive, and look under the attributes tab. Are there any red rows?

https://gsmartcontrol.sourceforge.io/home/

https://gsmartcontrol.sourceforge.io/home/index.php/Screenshots

#3 Mysons

Mysons
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2018 - 07:34 PM

hello, Thanks JonhC_21 for your quick reply

I D/L  GSMARTControl  -

I can see the drive F: - When I run the software - it starts searching for devices but it freezes...and window is Not Responding..

Something is seriously wrong with the device.. have important data to recover - I guess I will have to get it out to SPECIAL Resources ;(

Cheers

Matt

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,851 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2018 - 07:46 PM

I believe you are correct. You are going to need a professional Data Recovery Service. I have not used them but there is a member at BC that is called DataMedic. They are in the US but there rates start at $400 vs over $1000 for somebody like DriveSavers. You may want to PM him or check your local sources. They should offer a free quote. 

#5 eLPuSHeR

eLPuSHeR

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 08 June 2018 - 12:34 PM

I recovered a 2TB Seagate one yesterday using TestDisk.

Fortunately the disk wasn't physically damaged but the partition was borked (RAW) and could not be accessed. Windows insisted on formatting it.

What I did was to run TestDisk (with administrator privileges), Quick Find the partition (Intel type) and then press P to see files and copy them to another location if possible.

I was lucky and everything was recovered. I suggest you check the TestDisk forum first or, get aid from a professional Data Recovery Service as JohnC_21 suggested above.

Good luck and keep us posted.

PS - For the partition to be fixed you need both to write it to disk and then fix the boot record. Again, check TestDisk forums for guidance first if you are going to follow this route.

#6 Mysons

Mysons
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2018 - 02:49 PM

Hi All,

I tried all that was suggested - let it run overnight - Its a lost case... nothing can be recovered from this side.

It looks like I will have to think about spending the money to have my files recover..

THANK-YOU!!  All SO MUCH for your input and support - Much appreciated !!

Matt

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,901 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2018 - 02:51 PM

Hi All,

I tried all that was suggested - let it run overnight - Its a lost case... nothing can be recovered from this side.

It looks like I will have to think about spending the money to have my files recover..

THANK-YOU!!  All SO MUCH for your input and support - Much appreciated !!

Matt

After you get this recovered, remember that you need to have at least two copies, and sometimes more, of any data that's precious to you.

If you have only one on a single external hard drive then you need to copy all that "only single copy" material somewhere else.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#8 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 890 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 08 June 2018 - 05:18 PM

i may be able to help you recover the disc.  i have some equipment as long as the drive heads are good and the motor is not seized i can usually recover data.

look at rapidspar.com  that's what i own.   I might be able to help.  im in s. eastern washington state.

i've been very sucessful on all but 1 drive that i've worked on and it had a seized motor.  I don't have a clean room so that's why i don't mess with heads and motors.  but it's coming in the future.

Edited by mightywiz, 08 June 2018 - 05:26 PM.

#9 Mysons

Mysons
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2018 - 05:55 PM

Hello mightywiz,

Thank-you for your response - I live in Canada, Coquitlam (City) - How would that work ? what would be your rates -

At this point - I'm looking for a specialize resource management or IT vendor that can help recover my data - 

U can send me a PM with details if you like -

Cheers!

Matt

Edited by Mysons, 08 June 2018 - 06:27 PM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,851 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2018 - 06:23 PM

I would delete your Email to prevent spamming and contact mightywiz via PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users