Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SImple question, moving router to new place with computer..

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mrmatt2

mrmatt2

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 07 June 2018 - 04:30 PM

SImple question, moving router to new place with computer..  Ok, my wife's boss is moving his office to a new  house to save rent money. The room in the house to be the office will have a line for the router. Ok, so is it as simple as moving the router from his office and plugging it into his "home-office" line, plugging the computer into the router etc - right?  There is no need for setting IP address or anything like that correct?  Someone once told me these have to be reset which does not make sense to me..   I know this is a basic question, but just want to be sure.  (& sorry for the non-paragraphical writing, whenever I make a return, I get the below  symbols  - (why?))  Thanks for your input! Matt

​

​

​

​

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mrmatt2

mrmatt2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2018 - 04:40 PM

Sorry, in talking with my wife there is a caveat, there is no router in her current office, the computers get plugged into the wall, so the office building complex has it's onw "router".

So a guess is, her boss  will have to contact ISP or as such and get a router from them, and install a line outside then if necessary.  Once that is done, then is would be, I imagine, just plug the computers into the router and all things should take care of themselves for proper hookup.

I guess he needs to know, before he moves in if there is already a provider, with a line to the room-office.

​

I am guessing I answered my questions, unless there is something else I should know.

​

​

Thanks!  Matt

​

​

Edited by mrmatt2, 07 June 2018 - 04:43 PM.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 07 June 2018 - 05:34 PM

As far as your wife is concerned, all she would have to do is to take her laptop (presumably ?) along to her new workplace and plug an ehternet cable into it if that how she connects or get the wifi access code from her boss if she uses wifi, enter that and she would be good to go.

Her boss's problems will be rather more complex but mainly administrative. He may have to set up a new ISP account and this would probably mean a new router/modem but whichever ISP he uses should supply any necessry help to get it set up.

Of course if your wife doubles up as the business's sysadmin then all these problems will land on her !

Chris Cosgrove

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 07 June 2018 - 05:37 PM

her boss  will have to contact ISP or as such and get a router from them

Not at all, unless he wants to. There are many excellent routers out on the market, you can try Amazon or Newegg. What he will need is a cable run into his office from an ISP such as (but not necessarily) Comcast, AT& T, etc.

just plug the computers into the router and all things should take care of themselves

Yes, pretty much. A router will automatically assign an ip address, that is one of its functions. For security, I suggest using direct cable linkage as opposed to wireless, but that is your decision.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 mrmatt2

mrmatt2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2018 - 07:52 AM

OK, great thank  you so much!, greatly appreciate your time with helping!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users