Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Salvage/Disposal/Recycycling Computer Parts

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 aRandumDude

aRandumDude

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 03 June 2018 - 01:38 PM

Mod Edit:  Split from https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/678534/motherboard-and-cpu-extremely-high-temp-on-startup/ - Hamluis.

Alright, I've replaced my old cooler (which I've since learned is NOT the h60, I'm honestly unsure what kind it is, maybe an H45? but it lasted me 5 or so years!) with a NEW H60 and I'm running at a stable 35c on both CPU and Motherboard temps, so thank you to everyone for your help!

I guess my final question would be is there a "proper" way to dispose of an old cooler or is it something I can just throw in the trash like normal?

Edited by hamluis, 07 June 2018 - 12:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 03 June 2018 - 01:50 PM

I just take my "spare/unused" computer parts and dump them at Goodwill.

Louis

#3 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 June 2018 - 02:07 PM

Louis

Not good to take known broken parts to Goodwill just to dump.

afaik, there's nothing lethal or bad in those watercoolers so you can just pitch it in the garbage, if the radiator fan(s) still work, you might consider to keep and re-cycle those

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,977 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2018 - 09:08 PM

Louis

Not good to take known broken parts to Goodwill just to dump.

afaik, there's nothing lethal or bad in those watercoolers so you can just pitch it in the garbage, if the radiator fan(s) still work, you might consider to keep and re-cycle those

Au contraire!   Goodwill has had a nationwide hardware recycling program in place for some years now.  So long as you tell them that an item being turned in is non-functional they're quite happy to take it and hand it off to their recycler without trying to scavenge anything that might be resold.

My local Goodwill has an endless supply of keyboards and mice, and quite a few monitors, too.  They've not been reselling the computers themselves for a number of years now.  I don't know whether the latter is a local policy or not.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 04 June 2018 - 11:02 AM

https://www.goodwillcentraltexas.org/business-solutions/recycling

Louis

#6 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 June 2018 - 09:57 PM

Well the Goodwill stores around here are not giant warehouse that can recycle with 1000's feet of storage. They are just small stores and if they get junk, they have to pay someone to haul it to a dump, That includes broken pc parts

http://www.wilx.com/content/news/Non-profit-fed-up-with-after-hour-donations-443028443.html

People, if you know you have broken pc parts, take them to re-cycle yourself or throw it in a trash can but do not make somebody else take care of your trash

Edited by Joe C, 05 June 2018 - 10:00 PM.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,977 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 05 June 2018 - 10:51 PM

Joe,

You really need to stop spouting off about things you know nothing about.

http://www.goodwill.org/press-releases/goodwill-takes-leadership-role-in-electronics-recycling/

http://www.goodwill.org/press-releases/dell-reconnect-expands-computer-recycling-program-to-319-additional-goodwill-donation-sites/

http://www.goodwill.org/press-releases/dell-goodwill-expand-free-consumer-recycling-program-to-include-microsoft-products/

and many more via a search at goodwill.org:  http://www.goodwill.org/?s=recycling

At this point virtually all staffed Goodwill donations sites very enthusiastically accept computers or electronics in any condition for their recycling program, which is in partnership with Dell.  They make money on these items which would otherwise be "thrown in the trash."

I'm not making anyone else take care of my trash, I'm making sure my "trash" goes directly to an organization that can do some good from receiving it.

Edited by britechguy, 05 June 2018 - 10:53 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#8 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 June 2018 - 06:25 PM

No, you need to stop your ignorance, and watch the local news story I posted. The first sentence in the first post you made:

Today, Goodwill Industries International joined nine other companies and organizations in launching the Responsible Recycling (R2) Leader program, which is designed to advance the safe, responsible and sustainable repair and recycling of used electronics.

Those are re-usable or repairable parts, The op's pump is neither of each, although the radiator can be re-cycled as scrap metal if it is copper or aluminum.

Point two...using my own zip code:

No results were found within 25 miles of your location. We extended the search to 50 miles from your location.

Would you drive 50 miles or more to take your broken crap to a Goodwill store that recycles? We have metal re-cycle places within 5 miles from where I live, and they might take a radiator for a few pennies (not worth the gas to drive there @ $3.00 per gallon)

I'm not disagreeing that this is not a good thing, in fact it is great. But do not be so ignorant as to think that every city in this country has those options. The Goodwill stores in my area need to load that worthless crap up ($$$pay someone) then drive a truck ($$ pay employees & gas/wear and tear) to a local dump, or drive 50 miles to their recycling place. Not very feasible anyway you look at it financially when your business is mostly local donations. I'll re-word...If the area you live in is not one of those mega recycle places, then do not drop off your useless garbage that they can not re-sale locally, because they have to spend money to dump what they can not sell. Be morally responsible and take your useless crap to the local dump yourself. And I know personally for a solid fact that my local Goodwill will not accept CRT monitors.

Please stop trying to prove your point of justifying that is o.k. to dump useless worthless garbage on somebody's doorstep, and take care of it for yourself. If there is an electronic recycle place in your local area then great! but if not,  then it's not o.k. to make someone else do it for you at their cost

Edited by Joe C, 06 June 2018 - 06:49 PM.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,977 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2018 - 06:50 PM

The story you posted dealt with a Saint Vincent de Paul store.  Those do not do recycling.  That aside, no thrift store welcomes anyone's junk if they don't have a recycling program of some sort to deal with a specific sort of junk.

You are, again, incorrect about Goodwill's electronics recycling program only wanting functional electronics.  I have been taking dead computers and other electronics to my local, and staffed, store and always identifying them as such so that they will not attempt to resell things that don't work at all.  They are always gratefully accepted for the recycling program.

The above being said, I am 100% in agreement with your assertion: ". . . do not drop off your useless garbage that they can not re-sale locally, because they have to spend money to dump what they can not sell. Be morally responsible and take your useless crap to the local dump yourself."   Thrift shops of any description are not your (for any generic you) garbage disposal service.  But back to my point, a very great many Goodwills not located in major metro areas (Staunton, VA, is hardly a metropolis) do, indeed, participate in the electronics recycling program and do willingly and gratefully accept non-functioning electronics and computer parts and peripherals of virtually any description.  In any event, for any thrift shop, it is incumbent on you (for any generic you) to determine what they accept and only donate those items.

#10 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 June 2018 - 09:22 AM

Well then why don't you call my Goodwill store and explain to them that they can recycle because they will not accept crt monitors or old towers

I'll even provide the phone number for you:

(517) 789-6193

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,977 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2018 - 09:39 AM

I give up.  When you learn to read what is actually written, rather than what you want something to say, there might be a point in further conversation.

Until then, and to be clear, I do not claim to speak for your local Goodwill location or locations.   It is abundantly clear from Goodwill's own press releases, my personal experience, and that of at least one other member who's posted, that a very great many Goodwill locations will take non-functional computers and electronics for recycling.  I have used them myself, and encouraged many of my clients to do the same, for disposing of old computers because they can and do make money from recycling same and can and do accept them in the area where I live at all staffed donation centers.

Consult your local donation center before taking this sort of material there.  That just makes sense.

#12 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 June 2018 - 10:00 AM

You need to learn that not everything across this country is the same, it's not from my lack of reading.

Consult your local donation center before taking this sort of material there.  That just makes sense.

Well it's about time you realized. Don't tell others in different area's of this country to just dump their garbage at any Goodwill store, and everything will be fine and rosy

#13 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,977 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2018 - 10:22 AM

You need to learn that not everything across this country is the same, it's not from my lack of reading.

Well it's about time you realized. Don't tell others in different area's of this country to just dump their garbage at any Goodwill store, and everything will be fine and rosy

Never said nor implied, but, please, don't let that distract you.

#14 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,844 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2018 - 09:10 AM

I accumulate quite a bit of old parts and broken gear from clients and always search for a high school that has an E-Waste fund raiser event, with a small donation ($5.) they will take anything you have.  From old TVs to printers, chassis and keyboards plus all those cables that are not being used.

#15 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,977 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2018 - 09:36 AM

I accumulate quite a bit of old parts and broken gear from clients and always search for a high school that has an E-Waste fund raiser event, with a small donation ($5.) they will take anything you have.  From old TVs to printers, chassis and keyboards plus all those cables that are not being used.

Any option that keeps as much of this stuff as possible from ending up in landfills is a better option than throwing it in the trash.  I'm an avid recycler for virtually anything that can be recycled, and have been so since the days when I had to haul what I collected to my local recycling center.  I can only imagine how many trees I might have saved by doing nothing more than recycling my daily newspaper (ah, the newspaper . . .).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users