Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Voice Navigation Instructions With Google Maps

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tb75252

tb75252

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 07 June 2018 - 12:09 PM

I have a Blu Studio 5.0 cell phone with Android 4.2.

I would like to test whether I can hear Google Maps' voice navigation instructions with the phone speaker.

I do not have a data plan but I am able to connect to the office Wi-Fi network.
I realize that without a data plan I would not be able to hear voice navigation instruction in my car but while I am in the office I should be able to hear Google Maps' initial navigation instructions while I am connected to the office/s Wi-Fi, right? (Like, if I want to walk from my office to another building with a different address I should at least hear Google Maps' initial voice navigation instructions that tell me in which direction to head, right?)

Instead I do not hear anything...

What am I missing? Is my Android version perhaps too old for that?

PS:  Yes, I have rebooted the phone several times...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 07 June 2018 - 05:09 PM

You could test this out more thoroughly by downloading the Google Maps for your region to your device then trying the navigation.

The data connection is needed to keep maps downloading as you "get close to the edge" of the one that's currently being used.  The text to speech is part of Android itself or of the Google Maps App.

You can definitely download some maps to the device for a defined period.  See:  

Download areas and navigate offline - Android - Google Maps Help

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users