Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for a router recommendation

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 smoketest

smoketest

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 07 June 2018 - 06:31 AM

I need some router advice. My current router (provided by my ISP) is very basic. I'm looking for a new router that can allow me to open ports only to specific external IP addresses. I'm running a perforce server and would like to be able to securely access it externally. My simple router just lets me open ports to everyone but I need to keep the access restricted to trusted IP addresses that I provide.

Can anyone recommend a good router that will provide me this kind of security feature? I've done a bunch of googling today...perhaps my search criteria is awful but I haven't had much luck.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Replicator

Replicator

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 07 June 2018 - 06:41 AM

You dont mention your expected budget, but you wont go wrong with a higher end gaming router for full control over what you need.

This one is at the higher end of the range, but you can make it sing if you want.

https://www.amazon.com/Tri-band-AiProtection-Accelerator-Compatible-GT-AC5300/dp/B071DPCKQ6/ref=as_li_ss_tl?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1528284153&sr=1-3&keywords=rog+gt-ac5300&linkCode=sl1&tag=pixtopic-20&linkId=f42b6b08e3422a1bee2d721447dc06b1

The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear!
CEH, CISSP @ WhiteHat Computers Pty Ltd

#3 smoketest

smoketest
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 07 June 2018 - 06:53 AM

Thank you for such a speedy response. I did neglect to include a budget, which is around £200. I'm a huge ASUS fan and would like to buy one of their routers. Can I get the functionality I need with a less expensive, non-singing ASUS router? :)

#4 Replicator

Replicator

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 07 June 2018 - 08:29 AM

Hehe yes non singing is available in Asus.

Im guessing you require both Modem/Router as a combo for adsl2?

Is dedicated VPN configuration a requirement?

so just look through some models Here, and google further with your preferred online buying supplier (ie eBay, Amazon etc)

Recommend a dual band, minimum AC1600 that supports all wireless protocols.

802.11 n supports good speeds, however 802.11ac is the new wave of wireless determination.

The rest is up to you!

Regards

The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear!
CEH, CISSP @ WhiteHat Computers Pty Ltd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users