Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Home BitLocker?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MasterNe0

MasterNe0

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 06 June 2018 - 12:31 PM

Last week we had a client that said their Dell Windows 10 Home Laptop was prompting for BITLOCKER KEY. I thought it was due to the user trying to do a system recovery and somehow broke it during the installation/reinstallation.

During my time trying to reinstall the OS, I checked another laptop that part of the same batch of laptops we purchased (we had 3 laptops purchased, same model) and noticed it showed Bitlocker is enabled for "USED SPACE ONLY ENCRYPTED". Their also a DISK ENCRYPTION option showing underneath Control Panel and if I go their, bitlocker is enabled as I can recover the recovery key. I can't however turn off bitlocker from there as their no other options but "Get recovery key".

I thought bitlocker for Windows 10 only works with Pro and Above, how can Windows 10 HOME get bitlocker enabled and how do I remove this bitlocker.

I  can't figure out how bitlocker was enabled in the first place as I set these laptops myself and never enabled them.

I am wondering if maybe the latest windows 10 update did it perhaps?

I posted this on spiceworks but not really getting a clear answer.

On the reinstalled OS laptop, after it was done.I checked and saw it didn't have bitlocker or the DISK ENCRYPTION icon (but this laptop has ran windows 10 updates yet) so wondering if maybe the windows 10 latest update did something to enabled this.

Edited by MasterNe0, 06 June 2018 - 12:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 07 June 2018 - 08:46 AM

Unless there has been a change in the last couple of weeks Bitlocker is only available in Windows 10 Pro. and Enterprise.  The only alternatives are to install the Windows 10 Pro. Pack or use a third party programs like Truecrypt.  I'm not sure how you managed to get Bitlocker operating in Windows 10 Home and I'm not sure that I would depend on this to encrypt my computer in this type of situation.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Bulgaristan

Bulgaristan

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 08 June 2018 - 07:30 AM

I can confirm Dc3 post 
Windows 10 Home will support BitLocker only with a 3rd party software installed.
"BitLocker Anywhere" is the only one I have seen and know but there will be other vendors as well.

#4 MasterNe0

MasterNe0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 08 June 2018 - 12:19 PM

I personally would have never set it up without at least copying the code if needed.

I don't see anything installed on the machine out of the original that would have caused this.

When I run manage-bde, this is what I see:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>manage-bde -status C: 

BitLocker Drive Encryption: Configuration Tool version 10.0.17134

Copyright (C) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Volume C: [OS]

[OS Volume]

Size:                 917.67 GB

BitLocker Version:    2.0

Conversion Status:    Used Space Only Encrypted

Percentage Encrypted: 100.0%

Encryption Method:    XTS-AES 128

Protection Status:    Protection On

Lock Status:          Unlocked

Identification Field: Unknown

Key Protectors:

Numerical Password

TPM

And this is the machine:

Operating System:
    Windows 10 Home (10.0.17134)
Processor(s):
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8250U CPU @ 1.60GHz (8 virtual)
Available Memory:
    10838 MB / 16217 MB

Edited by MasterNe0, 08 June 2018 - 12:20 PM.

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 08 June 2018 - 02:10 PM

You should be able to run this from an Administrative Command Prompt to turn BitLocker off and decrypt the drive

manage-bde -off C:

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users