Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Programs crashing

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 johnpiggy

johnpiggy

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 06 June 2018 - 07:49 AM

I'm having problems with programs crashing on my computer including internet explorer, chrome, and Microsoft word. For example, when click on internet explorer I immediately get a window saying internet explorer had stopped working. It also says windows is collecting more information about the problem . A few moments later, another window opens and asks do I want to send more information about the problem. When I close that window, the original window then says that a problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available. It then only presents a button to close program. It things in safe mode and everything works. Please help. I am typing this on my cell phone since none of the browsers are working on my computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,535 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 06 June 2018 - 07:55 AM

first thing to do is to perform a clean boot....scroll about half way down this page and click on "windows 7 and windows vista"....follow the steps there

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

#3 johnpiggy

johnpiggy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:06 AM

I followed the steps and did a clean boot but I didn't get very far. The programs are still crashing even when all programs have been disabled.

#4 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,535 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:15 AM

I followed the steps and did a clean boot but I didn't get very far. The programs are still crashing even when all programs have been disabled.

download and run ADWCleaner.....then Malwarebytes anti malware

#5 johnpiggy

johnpiggy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2018 - 01:17 PM

I ran ADWCleaner and it found some problems that I deleted but the programs are still crashing. I couldn't get Malwarebytes anti malware to run properly. The computer freezes in the prescan stage every time.

Edited by johnpiggy, 06 June 2018 - 01:18 PM.

#6 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,535 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2018 - 01:24 PM

test your hard drive

#7 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 475 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 06 June 2018 - 08:17 PM

Hi johnpiggy:

Some of your problems could to be related to a failed internet connection.  The preliminary step of a Malwarebytes v3.x scan, for example, always performs an initial check for an available update for the malware definitions database before the scan starts.

Also note that Firefox ESR v52.x (extended support release) is currently the only major browser that is fully supported for Vista SP2, so your unsupported IE9 and Chrome browsers might be part of the problem.  See post # 12 of pcpunk's thread Most Popular Browser For Vista for further details.

Go to Control Panel | System and Maintenance | Problem Reports and Solutions | View Problem History.  Your recent application crashes should be listed there and double-clicking each entry will open a window with details of the crash (e.g., Problem Name Event, Fault Module Name, etc.) that were sent back to Microsoft in the problem report.  There should also be a Copy to Clipboard link at the bottom so that you can paste the contents of the problem report into a text editor like Notepad (or post a sample report in your next reply).

Disable automatic Windows Updates [Windows Update | Change settings | Important updates | Never check for updates (not recommended)] and re-boot to terminate any Windows Update sessions currently running in the background on your system.  If your computer seems to work better after the re-boot see the FAQ How to Fix Vista SP2 "Checking for Updates..." Hangs and Slow Windows Updates in the VistaForums about a known issue with Vista SP2 where Windows Update sessions can saturate an entire CPU core for hours (or even days) and and seriously degrade system performance.  If you think you might be affected by this issue post back and let me know if you have a 32-bit or 64-bit Vista SP2, what Microsoft Office product use (e.g., MS Office 2007), and the last date that Windows Update was able to successfully install an update for your operating system [Windows Update | View Update History].  If you can launch IE9 from Safe Mode without crashing the browser, go to Help | About Internet Explorer and also let me know your IE9 Update Versions as shown below - if you received your last batch of April 2017 updates for Vista SP2 and IE9 updates via Windows Update before extended support for this OS ended then the IE9 Update Versions should be v9.0.60 / KB4014661.

Attached File  IE9 Version KB4014661 April 2017.png   17.66KB   0 downloads
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.8.1 * Norton Security v22.14.2.13 * Malwarebytes 3.5.1 * MS Office 2003 Professional
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Edited by lmacri, 06 June 2018 - 08:32 PM.

#8 johnpiggy

johnpiggy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2018 - 01:02 AM

To mikey11:

Not sure what you mean by testing my hard drive. Please give me some instructions. Thanks.

To Imacri:

Just to let you know, Firefox also crashes though I might have an older version. It's not just the browsers that are crashing. Some other programs also crashing like Microsoft Word or the VLC Player. But some programs function just fine. 

I have attached a file with various problems reports for different programs that are crashing.

I disabled Windows Update but the programs are still crashing as soon as I start them. 

I have a 32-bit Vista SP2. I have MS Office 2007. The last successful Windows update was back in 2016. The IE update version is 9.0.56 (KB3197655).

I am currently writing all of this in Safe Mode since this is the only way the programs don't crash.

Attached Files

Edited by johnpiggy, 07 June 2018 - 01:04 AM.

#9 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 475 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2018 - 09:17 AM

Just to let you know, Firefox also crashes though I might have an older version. It's not just the browsers that are crashing. Some other programs also crashing like Microsoft Word or the VLC Player. But some programs function just fine....I have a 32-bit Vista SP2. I have MS Office 2007. The last successful Windows update was back in 2016. The IE update version is 9.0.56 (KB3197655).

Hi johnpiggy:

One of your crash reports shows you are using VLC Media Player v2.2.4 (released Jun 2016).  Does this program still crash if you update to the latest v3.0.3 (released May 2018)?  If the internal update checker at Help | Check for Updates doesn't detect an available update (mine never does) the latest v3.0.3 installer can be downloaded at http://www.videolan.org/vlc/.

One of your crash reports shows you are using Firefox ESR v52.6.0 (released Jan 2018).  Does this program still crash if you update to the latest v52.8.1 (released Jun 2018)? Do you have Adobe Flash Player or the Java Runtime Environment installed in your FF ESR browser?  If yes, do you have the latest versions of Adobe Flash v30.0.0.113 (rel. Jun 2018) and/or Java RE Version 8 Build 171 or 172 (rel. Apr 2018)?  If you update your FF ESR browser to v52.8.1 and it stops crashing when you start your FF ESR browser in Safe Mode with add-ons disabled (Help | Troubleshooting Information | Try Safe Mode | Re-Start with Add-ons Disabled) that could point to a problem with one of your browser add-ons.

KB3197655 (Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 9: November 8, 2016) was released in Nov 2016 so that almost certainly means you are affected by the issue described in the VistaForums FAQ How to Fix Vista SP2 "Checking for Updates..." Hangs and Slow Windows Updates, and it also means that your OS, IE9 browser and MS Office 2007 are significantly out-of-date.  I would strongly advise that you update all your out-of-date software first (starting with your Vista SP2 OS) and then see what problems remain on your computer.

Since you have MS Office 2007 and your 32-bit Vista SP2 OS has not been updated since Nov 2016, the simplest way to get Windows Update working again would be as follows:

1. Disable automatic Windows Updates [Windows Update | Change settings | Important updates | Never check for updates (not recommended)] and re-boot (the re-boot is critical) to terminate any Windows Update sessions currently running in the background on your system.
  2. Go to Volume Z's instructions in peggybegg's thread why has vista stopped automatic updates? and save all nine 32-bit (x86) .msu standalone installers (a.k.a. "speedup" patches) that apply to your system to your Windows desktop [KB4019204 / KB4012583 / KB3205638 / KB4015380 for Vista SP2; KB4018271 for IE9; KB4018353 for Excel 2007; KB4018355 for Word 2007; KB4018354 (wordconv2007) and KB4022150 (xlconv2007) for the MS Office Compatibility Pack SP3].  Volume Z's list of required "speed up" patches is current as of today (07-Jun-2018) but could change if new updates are released for MS Office 2007 and/or the MS Office Compatibility Pack during the June 2018 Patch Tuesday updates scheduled for 12-Jun-2018.
  3. Double-click the .msu file on your desktop to run each standalone installer. Re-boot after all nine .msu installers have run to completion unless the installation wizard for one of the installers specifically requests a re-boot to finish the installation.
  4. Once all missing "speedup" patches are pre-installed, re-boot and run a manual Windows Update [Windows Update | Check for updates] to install your remaining updates.

If any of these nine security updates are already installed on your computer or you try to install the wrong 64-bit installer on your 32-bit OS you will see a "The update is not applicable to your computer" warning when the .msu installer is run.  If that happens just note the KB number and move on to the next installer.

------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.8.1 * Norton Security v22.14.2.13 * Malwarebytes 3.5.1 * MS Office 2003 Professional

Edited by lmacri, 07 June 2018 - 11:00 AM.

#10 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 475 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2018 - 10:29 AM

Hi johnpiggy:

... and further to my previous post, what antivirus software and version (if any) do you use, and do you have any other security software like Malwarebytes Premium v3.5.1 (or the free 14-day trial of the Malwarebytes Premium features) that loads at boot-up and runs in real-time protection mode?  These types of third-party security programs will not be loaded when you boot into Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking.

If you are using Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) or some other unsupported antivirus then that could be the cause of at least some of your third-party application crashes.  I use a paid version of Norton Security as the AV on my Vista SP2 machine, but I think there are still a few free programs like Avast Free Antivirus v18.x and Panda Free Antivirus v18.x that still support Vista SP2.

------------

Edited by lmacri, 07 June 2018 - 10:39 AM.

#11 johnpiggy

johnpiggy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2018 - 07:07 AM

I updated VLC Media Player but it still crashes.

I installed all of the Windows updates but the programs are also still crashing.

I also updated Firefox to FF ESR v52.6.0 but it also still crashes. I'm not sure how to update the Flash player and Java.

I use Norton 360 as my anti-virus software.

#12 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 475 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2018 - 09:54 AM

I installed all of the Windows updates but the programs are also still crashing.

Hi johnpiggy:

Did you run a manual Windows Update (Windows Update | Check for Updates) after the nine "speed up" patches were installed?   If yes, approximately how many additional security updates did your manual Windows Update install?  If  Vista SP2 and MS Office 2007 haven't updated since Nov 2017 I would expect a manual Windows Update to find at least a few dozen additional security updates.

Please leave your automatic Windows Updates set to Never Check for Updates and re-boot, and try running a few consecutive manual Windows Update to see if it can find any further updates.  If Windows Update gets stuck at the initial "Checking for updates..." phase for more than 30 - 45 min post back and let me know.

I also updated Firefox to FF ESR v52.6.0 but it also still crashes. I'm not sure how to update the Flash player and Java.

I'll assume you meant that you updated to FF ESR v52.8.1, not v52.6.0.  If that's wrong go to Help | About Firefox and click Check for Updates.

Attached File  FF ESR v52_8_1 Check for Updates.png   41.12KB   0 downloads

Go to Tools | Add-ons and click the Extensions and Plugins menu items to see your installed browser add-ons (the blue More link beside each add-on will display further details).  Adobe Flash Player and the Java Runtime Environment are both media players so if you installed them you'll likely find them at Tools | Add-ons | Plugins (note that Adobe Flash Player would likely be listed as "Shockwave Flash").  A detailed summary of all your installed add-ons can also be found at Help | Troubleshooting Information | Extensions as shown below.  I haven't had Adobe Flash or the Java RE installed in Firefox for a few years (both significantly increase your vulnerability to malware attacks) and unless you're absolutely certain that you need them I would simply uninstall them (if installed) and browse for a few days to see if any of the web pages you visit prompts you to reinstall them.  At the very least, set them to Never Activate and manually re-activate them if they're absolutely required on a web page you are certain is safe.

Attached File  FF ESR v52_8_1 Troubleshooting Extensions.png   7.64KB   0 downloads

See the Firefox support article How to Update Add-ons.  To run a manual check for updates, go to Tools | Add-ons, click the gear button (Tools for All Add-ons) and choose Check for Updates.

Attached File  FF ESR v52_8_1 Check for Add-on Updates.png   34.69KB   0 downloads

I use Norton 360 as my anti-virus software.

Do you have the latest N360 v22.14.2.13?  Open N360 and check your version number at Help | General Information | About. Go to Security | Live Update and run a few manual updates until no further updates are available.  Once v22.14.2.13 is fully patched disable your Exploit Prevention (Settings | Exploit Prevention | General | Exploit Prevention | OFF) and re-boot to see if that reduces your application crashes.

Attached File  NS v22_14_2 Exploit Prevention Settings.png   6.84KB   0 downloads

Most of the programs you've mentioned (VLC Media Player, MS Word, Firefox, etc.) are often monitored by exploit prevention modules in security software like Norton, Malwarebytes Premium, Microsoft EMET (Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit), etc. and you could have an issue with an anti-exploit module in your security software.

If you installed Malwarebytes Free v3.5.1 and are still using the 14-day trial of the Premium real-time protection features, go to Settings | Account and click Deactivate Premium Trial to avoid possible conflicts with your Norton AV. Malwarebytes Premium has its own Exploit Protection module (Settings | Protection | Real-Time Protection | Exploit Protection) and other real-time protection features that can cause all sorts of unexpected problems when run together with Norton, even if you create mutual scan exclusions and take other steps to minimize possible conflicts.

------------

Edited by lmacri, 08 June 2018 - 12:41 PM.

#13 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 475 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2018 - 09:29 AM

...I'm not sure how to update the Flash player and Java.

Hi johnpiggy:

If you can confirm that the Adobe Flash Player and/or Java RE browser add-ons are installed and you accepted the default settings during installation then they should be set to check for updates automatically, but you can also run a manual update check from their respective settings managers in the Windows Control Panel.

Go to Start | Control Panel and search for "flash player" to find the Adobe Flash settings manager.  Double-click to open, select the Advanced tab, and click the Check Now button under Updates as shown at https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/flash-player-background-updates.html.

Go to Start | Control Panel and search for "java" to find the Java control panel.  Double-click to open, select the Update tab and click the Update Now button as shown at https://www.java.com/en/download/help/java_update.xml.
------------

Edited by lmacri, 09 June 2018 - 09:31 AM.

#14 johnpiggy

johnpiggy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2018 - 09:27 AM

I did run Windows update after the speed up patches. It found and installed about 32 updates.

I checked on the Flash player and it is up to date. But I couldn't check on Java RE because when I click on Java in the control panel it crashes.

I deactivated Malwarebytes as you said. But I'm having some trouble with my Norton 360. When I click on it it crashes too. I then get an 8504, 101 error message from Norton. It indicates that both installation and LiveUpdate failed.

#15 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 475 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2018 - 12:12 PM

...But I'm having some trouble with my Norton 360. When I click on it it crashes too. I then get an 8504, 101 error message from Norton. It indicates that both installation and LiveUpdate failed.

Hi johnpiggy:

It's possible your N360 installation (or the Exploit Prevention module) was corrupted during the update to v22.14.2.13 which began rolling out on 04-Jun-2018 (see the product update announcement <here>).  That would correspond with the approx. date your other software programs began crashing.

I've posted instructions for performing a clean reinstall of Norton in freespace77's thread Windows Defender Still Active.  Please read the warnings before starting and post back if you use the Norton Identity Safe browser add-on with an old-style local vault for storing your login passwords (local vaults were last offered with Norton v19.x) or have other Norton products installed like Norton Utilities, Norton Ghost, etc. and I'll provide revised instructions.

STEP # 4 of those instructions notes that you should see a pop-up linking you to instructions on how to re-install Norton from your online Norton Account after Norton is wiped off your system, but if you wish you can also close that pop-up and download the latest available full offline N360 installer from the appropriate link below and save it to your Windows desktop, and then double-click the .exe file to re-install N360 once you reach STEP # 4.  The latest offline Norton installers are currently offering v22.14.0.54 (e.g., N360P-ESD-Def-22.14.0.54-EN.exe) so be sure that you follow STEP # 5 and run multiple LiveUpdates after the reinstall until Help | General Information | About shows you are patched to the latest v22.14.2.13.

N360 (standard): https://www.norton.com/latestn360   (comes with 2 GB offline storage)
    N360 Premium:    https://www.norton.com/latestn360p (comes with 25 GB offline storage)

------------

Edited by lmacri, 10 June 2018 - 12:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users