Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trojan-downloader.win32.small.dlw Found By Kaspersky Online Scan!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ceb83

ceb83

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 09 October 2006 - 11:02 AM

Hi,

I'm running 98SE on a P3.

Recently I've been having problems; freezing, slow running, etc., all the usual symptons. :thumbsup: :inlove:

I use Norton Internet Security 2005 with regular downloaded updates.

I've scanned my PC using the current Norton AV, plus both Spybot and AdAware.
AdAware & Spybot found malware, which was quarantined.

However, my PC was still unstable so I tried an online Panda scan, again nothing. :flowers: :trumpet:

It wasn't until I did an online Kaspersky scan that a virus was picked up.
Kaspersky found, "Trojan-Downloader.Win32.Small.dlw" in C:\ProgramFiles\NortonInternet\Security\NortonAntiVirus\Quarantine\38A809A9.exe.

Can someone out there help me get rid of this??

Many thanks in advance,

Carol

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 09 October 2006 - 03:42 PM

Hello ceb83

The Kaspersky scan flagged the Trojan-Downloader in the quarantined area of NAV as shown by the path location you gave. When a progam quarantines a file or moves it into a virus vault, it is safely held there under you take action to delete it. The reason for doing this is to prevent deletion of an essential file that may have been flagged as a "false positive". You could then restore the file. Doing this also allows you to view and investigate the files while keeping them from harming your computer. Thus, Quarantine is just an extra safety measure. You can launch NAV and delete that file so it will not be detected again.

Another good anti-malware program you can use on Win 9x is SUPERAntiSypware free for Home Users which you can download here.
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe to install and use the default settings for installation.
  • Run SUPERAntiSypware and update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Udates".
  • When done, select "Scan for Harmful Software".
  • There are three scanning options available. Choose "Perform Complete Scan" and click "Next".
  • When done, a Scan Summary will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Place a checkmark next to items you wish to remove/quarantine and Click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • Select close to exit the program.
Note: If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download and unzip them from here.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users