Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A good Wifi Adapter?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Nicolasdesu

Nicolasdesu

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 06 June 2018 - 01:47 AM

I've had the Net-Dyn AC1200 for over a year now on my PC it worked fine for a while, I didn't realize it at the time but it had disconnected me while playing video games such as Overwatch or if I was torrenting something It would automatically disconnect. That was nearly a year ago around the same time but it eventually stopped so I forgot... It wasn't till I checked the Amazon reviews did I see another user also had the same issue. I'd like to eventually get a Wifi card but since I'm not computer savvy in the least I'd rather play it safe and get an adapter. Not to mention this doesn't ever happen on my old laptop. Ethernet cable is out of the question due to the very odd spot my computer is and the distance from it to the router. 

Long story short can anyone recommend me a strong wifi adapter that can handle gaming and torrenting? An adapter they know works well for them?

Sorry for sounding dumb I'm just really desperate lol

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,889 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:01 AM

I won't be of much help to you, but here goes.

Other than unusual circumstances such as yours, I have never found there to be too terribly much difference between brands of WiFi adapters (within the same class, e.g., Wireless N, Wireless AC [at a given rate], etc.).  I have seen micro/nano adapters that get a stronger signal than those with an external antenna or antennas (which is an exception, but there you have it) and, of course, vice versa.

You are not, of course, going to get throughput that is any faster than your router can handle, so if the WiFi speed on that is AC1200 getting a better Wireless AC adapter will not result in any gains in speed on your network since the infrastructure to support such is not present on the router end.  Of course, if you're using a laptop, it travels with you, and you know that you connect to networks that use later Wireless AC routers it could be worth it.

For myself, if this is a laptop that travels, at all, I would not consider anything besides a micro adapter in the class you need.  If it's for a desktop PC, then looking at an adapter with an external antenna or antennas is likely to give you better chance at getting a stronger and more consistent signal, but even that's not guaranteed.

When you can pick up micro adapters such as this one, and this one, and this one (with antenna) all cost under $15 it's inexpensive enough to experiment with a micro and a "micro with external antenna" to see which suits you best.  [I have no affiliation with the website that all of those come from, I've just bought multiple USB WiFi adapters from them over time for myself and others and have not had any issue with any of them.]

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,778 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 06 June 2018 - 02:41 PM

For years I have used the TP-Link TL-WN722N. If you check my stats, I am running a medium-power, self-build box, and it is so stuffed that I decided to use an adapter instead of an internal card. My computer is about 12 ft. from the router on the 2nd floor. So far I am happy with the performance. I don't game, but I do like watching old movies occasionally on Youtube, and they play with no lag or dropped frames.

I regularly work on boxes and laps that friends, church members, neighbors (etc.) bring me, and my shop is in the basement next to the furnace (lots of sheet metal) and the router is on the 2nd floor at the opposite end of the house, straight, diagonal line through the floors about 50-60ft.  I haven't had one unit yet that could pull in my router signal in the basement. I have a 2nd 722N in my shop, plug it in, install the drivers (1 minute worktime) and every unit I work on gets 4 out of 5 bars, never failed. Other adapters I have tried have failed miserably, I can't even get service.

Again, I am not a gamer, but I tried to give you as much information as I can.

[EDIT]:  I just noticed on the Newegg website that the lowest-cost adapter ships from China. Surprises me, Newegg always had a local supplier for these. If you don't want  to wait, use one of the other sellers listed for a buck or two more, or try Amazon or some other retailer.

Edited by ranchhand_, 06 June 2018 - 02:46 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,889 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 06 June 2018 - 03:08 PM

I just noticed on the Newegg website that the lowest-cost adapter ships from China. 

Just as a side note, my recent experience with most shipments from China is that they arrive much, much faster than I ever would have thought possible.  I sometimes get small items, and this would be one, in fewer days than it takes for long distance domestic mail.

And, same site I used earlier (and also out of China), this unit looks interesting and it's clear the antenna and dongle are pretty much one and the same.  It's the first I've seen where the actual USB plug itself is connected to the rest of the dongle with a hinge to allow it to be tilted.  The extension cord with base that comes with it makes it very easy to try different positions near the machine or on top of it to see if you get any difference in signal.   A hair over $20 for an AC1300 dual band isn't bad.

P.S. to ranchhand_:  Going from an AC1200 adapter to an N150 adapter would be a major step down in this case.  I would have to presume the OP has a Wireless AC router at least, quite possibly dual band.

Edited by britechguy, 06 June 2018 - 03:11 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users