Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hangs for 45 minutes with Black screen and cursor after logging in

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Krammig

Krammig

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2018 - 12:58 AM

Recently I installed an SSD with purely CDrive on it. Everything was great for a while,several weeks, then suddenly I am seeing a long running black screen after the login screen.

After logging into Windows 7 the black screen appears as it usually does for a few seconds before showing the desktop - however this time, now - that black screen stays in place for around 45 minutes before the Desktop appears. ( let it run one day just to see what happens and have done this a few times since. )

• The cursor is on screen and moves around fine. 
  • if I do a Ctrl-Alt-Del after a decent delay the Task Manager appears. Trying to do anything on that has an "extensive" response time delay. 
  • uninstalled / reinstalled the Video drivers
  • it looks like something is stalling or using massive CPU cycles
  • I managed to get to the Performance screen but oddly nothing is unusual there. 

Booting in Safe Mode works fine, no hanging. 

I have tried the following

• CHKDSK  (even though it was an SSD) 
  • Malware / Virus scan - though this is my development machine and I just do not expose this to any possible infection opportunities

I had a thought and cloned the SSD to an HDD and blow me down, the exact same things is happening to the HDD

I then ran checks on the HDD but again nothing. 

One thing I did notice that was on on both the SSD and HDD of that CDrive partition when shutting down, is usually it advises there are apps running (explorer etc) and asks if you want to cancel that. Just the usual stuff. I performs this task fine. 

However in addition to that, there is a bit of a pause for 10 seconds or so as if there is an "process" of some sort running but nothing is actually shown as a process name. Almost like a Ghost process is shutting down. This does not happen on my other machines, and does not happen on the original HDD that I kept which was what the SSD was built from. 

So I'm stumped. 

It is not the SSD itself as I thought it might be because cloning the SSD to a clean HDD results in the same behaviour on the HDD.  

Any ideas / suggestions would be appreciated. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 axe0

axe0

• Malware Study Hall Junior
  • 290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 08 June 2018 - 01:47 AM

Hi Kramming,

Welcome to BleepingComputer,

Please follow https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/ and answer the questions in the link.

Kind regards,
Axe0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users