Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to "reduce" internal wifi signal strength on a laptop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PCOwner1v

PCOwner1v

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 05 June 2018 - 10:11 PM

Hi,

Is it possible to throttle down the signal strength of a wifi on a laptop? Any software or mods that would allow be to do this?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,848 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2018 - 10:15 PM

You could try a few pieces of foil on the bottom nearest the WIFI antenna, usually just a short wire or long trace on the WIFI card.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 05 June 2018 - 11:03 PM

Is it possible to throttle down the signal strength of a wifi on a laptop? Any software or mods that would allow be to do this?

I ask the following with no snark whatsoever:  Why would you want to do this?

Also, are you talking about reception by the laptop (which would lead me to an even greater, "Why?") or its broadcasting as a virtual hotspot?

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#4 PCOwner1v

PCOwner1v
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2018 - 03:03 PM

Sure since you asked, I tend to have headaches when using a wifi device and also in places with high wifi. But it's a personal issue. Sometimes, i have to use a PC in a public place, that is why I ask.

At my home, everything is Ethernet, hard wired, no WIFI. I have a flip phone and use it with a speaker or a headset.

If you are interested in science behind wireless.....

Please see the research on EMFs

EMFs In brief (somewhat brief),

The Harmful Effects of Electromagnetic

1) Microwave EMFs activate voltage-gated Ca2+ channels (VGCCs) concentrated in the brain (Calcium channel blockers block EMF effects),

2) neuronal cell demyelination (Long-term exposure to 835 MHz RF-EMF induces hyperactivity, autophagy and demyelination in the cortical neurons of mice

3) autophagic degradation in cortical neurons against a stress of 835 MHz RF Activation of autophagy at cerebral cortex and apoptosis at brainstem are differential responses to 835 MHz RF-EMF exposure.

4) The results showed that EMF caused a significant decrease in total pyramidal and granular cell numbers in the hippocampus, and DG and in Purkinje cell numbers in the cerebellum in the EMF group compared to the other groups (p < 0.05). Effects of 900-MHz radiation on the hippocampus and cerebellum

5) Effects of 2.4 GHz radiofrequency radiation emitted from Wi-Fi equipment on microRNA expression in brain tissue. Long-term exposure of 2.4 GHz RF may lead to adverse effects such as neurodegenerative diseases originated from the alteration of some miRNA expression

6)Radiation From Mobile Phones Changes Protein Expression In Living People, Study Suggests

7) Cell Phone Radiofrequency Radiation Exposure and Brain Glucose Metabolism (increases barin glucose metabolism)

8) Exposure to 835 MHz RF-EMF decreases the expression of calcium channels, inhibits apoptosis, but induces autophagy in the mouse hippocampus

9) RF-EMF-exposed cases: (1) significant morphological lesions in the myelin sheath of rats; (2) a greater risk of multiple sclerosis in a study subgroup; (3) effects in proteins related to myelin production; and (4) physical symptoms in individuals with functional impairment electrohypersensitivity, many of which are the same as if myelin were affected by RF-EMF exposure, giving rise to symptoms of demyelination. In the latter, there are exceptions; headache is common only in electrohypersensitivity, while ataxia is typical of demyelination but infrequently found in the former group. Overall, evidence from in vivo and in vitro and epidemiological studies suggests an association between RF-EMF exposure and either myelin deterioration or a direct impact on neuronal conduction, which may account for many electrohypersensitivity symptoms.

10) Could myelin damage from radiofrequency electromagnetic field exposure help explain the functional impairment electrohypersensitivity? A review of the evidence.

Symptoms:Among the more commonly reported changes are sleep disturbance/insomnia, headache, depression/depressive symptoms, fatigue/tiredness, dysesthesia, concentration/attention dysfunction, memory changes, dizziness, irritability, loss of appetite/body weight, restlessness/anxiety, nausea, skin burning/tingling/dermographism and EEG changes.

If you do want the hard evidence, I purchased a meter Acoustimeter AM-10, the cost is about $370, but I find it very useful. (You wouldn't believe the levels at some places and public parks, the new 5G technology is much worse in terms of EMFs.) I purchased from slt.co a Canadian company. There is a company here in the States, but they hype up their products.

I have no affiliations with either company. slt.co is also available on Amazon.

Edited by PCOwner1v, 07 June 2018 - 03:04 PM.

#5 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 07 June 2018 - 08:42 PM

It may depend on your operating system and wireless card.  Basically:

Open Device Manager, then find and open Network Adapters.  Double click on your wireless card.  Under the Advanced tap, you should find an option to adjust Transmit Power.

Derfram
~~~~~~

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,848 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2018 - 09:33 PM

I started my professional electronics career in a standards lab and can tell you some real horror stories about EMF/EMI.  I don't carry a cell phone for the reasons you stated, the amount of radiation emitted by a unit, even when not in use and now you stick it up next to your brain to use it??  The radiation has to dissipate itself some where and it likes spaces that are matched to the wavelength of the signal, like inside the eye or nasal cavities.  No thanks.  I reduce the signal on my router by using grounded shields to stop signals from leaving the area and this also increases the signal within.

#7 muroga

muroga

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 09 June 2018 - 05:30 PM

The amount of rf radiation necessary to cause significant health impacts in humans is quite high compared to what most devices of capable of producing. Id be more concerned about hormones, preservatives in food or air and water pollution. That said if you want to reduce the power of a network cards wireless radio look under advanced settings in the adapter properties but this may cause connection issues if the setting is too low. You can also reduce the transmit power on your router depending on the model and firmware. All that said this isnt really going to make much difference in the amount of rf energy youre exposed to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users