Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Screen Flicker / Backlight Question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jitter1127

jitter1127

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 05 June 2018 - 08:46 PM

My neighbor has a lenovo g500 laptop.  I have worked on this PC a few times in the past with software issues and back then you had to have the screen at a certain spot to keep the picture on.  I started taking it apart and noticed both hinges are broke for starters.  Now the laptop has to be over 3/4 closed to get the proper picture.  At certain spots you get a picture but it is really faint (like there is no backlighting).  Other spots you have no picture.  I have 2 questions.

1.  What senses whether the screen is up or down?

2.  Do you think replacing the LCD cable will fix the problem?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,829 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 05 June 2018 - 10:18 PM

Replacing the LCD cable that goes from the main board, around the hinge and up into the display(lid).  You may find the hinges will need to be replaced or the new cable won't last very long.  Lenovo does have case assemblies available.

#3 jitter1127

jitter1127
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:15 PM

I found it was definitely the cable i was able to remove the screen from the rest of the laptop while having the laptop on.  When I jiggled the LCD cable the screen would go off / on / flash etc.  I did determine the one wifi antenna was broke as well along w/ both hinges.  On one side the inserts with the hinge screws actually pulled out of the plastic.  Going to try to rig something up to make the computer usable at least.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users