Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cut and paste problem with Lotus Word Pro 9 for Windows 95

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 tinman2000

tinman2000

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 05 June 2018 - 06:22 PM

Hi, I have an old Lotus Word Pro 9 for Windows 95 doc and I'm trying to paste some text into it from Outlook Express. When I copy the text and try pasting it into the Word Doc, nothing happens. I tried a work by pasting the text into a Microsoft Word doc. Here, I'm able to paste the text into Lotus Word Pro but it comes up in a text box and I'm unable to get rid of the text box and incorporate the pasted text into the existing text. I was able to cut and paste like this fine - but now it's not working  If this Lotus Word Pro doc keeps acting up, I'm like to convert it over to a Microsoft Word doc. But if I try cutting and pasting the Lotus text into a Microsoft Word, the text comes up as an image. Any suggestions? There must be some sort of option in Lotus Word Pro to turn off these text boxes at least. BTW, I'm using Windows XP. My Lotus Word Pro is just designed for Windows 95. Thanks. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,442 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2018 - 06:40 PM

Clear the clipboard and try to copy and paste again.

Can you copy using Crtl+insert and paste using Shift+insert?

#3 tinman2000

tinman2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2018 - 08:10 PM

Hi, I cleared the clipboard like you'd mentioned and it didn't make any difference. I still can't copy text into Lotus from Outlook and I can copy text between Lotus and Word but text comes up as a text box in Lotus and an image in Word. I can copy using the Crtl / Shift keys between Lotus and Word but it also does that same things I'd just mentioned. Very weird.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,442 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2018 - 08:21 PM

You will lose your formatting but what happens if you paste from the Lotus doc to Notepad first then from Notepad into a Microsoft Word doc?

#5 tinman2000

tinman2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2018 - 08:39 PM

Unfortunately, I can't. When I try to copy text from Lotus to Notepad, the Paste option is greyed out. 

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,442 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2018 - 08:45 PM

You can download the portable version of Libre Office. Install it to a folder on your desktop. Open Libre Writer and see if you can paste from Lotus to Libre.

You want V6

https://www.libreoffice.org/download/portable-versions/

Hopefully the imported text will not be an image.

Edit: In regards to Word you can select Paste Options.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/control-the-formatting-when-you-paste-text-20156a41-520e-48a6-8680-fb9ce15bf3d6#bm5

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 June 2018 - 08:49 PM.

#7 tinman2000

tinman2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2018 - 08:36 PM

I appreciate the suggestion but I'd like to hold off on installing an additional program until it's a last resort. I was able to cut and paste into Lotus before without issues so I was hoping to try changing a setting in Lotus, etc. I uninstalled and reinstalled Lotus but I'm still getting the same thing. Would the updates I get from Avast Antivirus have done anything to block cutting and pasting? I get the same thing trying drag and drop. 

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,442 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:17 PM

I am not sure about avast affecting cut and paste but as you say cut and paste is only affected when using Lotus, not other programs, if I understand correctly.

Because Libre Office is the portable version, nothing is installed. Everything resides in one folder. When done the folder is deleted. 

The paste options in Word did not work?

Edited by JohnC_21, 06 June 2018 - 09:17 PM.

#9 tinman2000

tinman2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2018 - 05:21 PM

The paste options in Word do work. But copying into it from Lotus turns the text into an image and a text box if I do vice versa. I've also tried copying from Lotus to a program called Final Draft and it didn't seem to like that either. I'll take a look at the LIbre Office you'd mentioned - thanks.

I was hoping there was a quick fix but maybe there isn't one. I wonder if there are any Lotus experts out there. 

Edited by tinman2000, 07 June 2018 - 05:30 PM.

#10 tinman2000

tinman2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2018 - 05:31 PM

I just took a look at Libre Office. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have a version that's compatible with Windows XP.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,442 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2018 - 05:49 PM

I thought v6 was compatible but I am currently running the v5 version of Libre Office on XP. V5 of the portable version should work.

Edit: According to the System Requirements Libre V6 portable should run on XP.

https://th.libreoffice.org/download/system-requirements/

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 June 2018 - 05:50 PM.

#12 tinman2000

tinman2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2018 - 02:23 PM

I still couldn't find any way around the problem so I tried downloading version 5 of LIbre Office. I did some reading online and some people were mentioning it was the best way to convert Lotus Word Pro files. You were right as well! I installed Libre Office and was able to open Lotus Word Pro files without a problem and save them as MS Word files. The only thing that didn't convert was a few boldings here and there. I just have a few old Lotus files kicking around so it sounds like the best thing to do is convert the rest over and stick with MS Word moving forward. Forget about dealing with all those Lotus headaches. Thanks for the help. 

Edited by tinman2000, 09 June 2018 - 02:24 PM.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,442 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2018 - 02:57 PM

Your Welcome,

Glad Libre Office worked for you and thanks for the update. Believe it or not I used Libre Office to convert over old Works documents. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users