Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Yahoo Email Address Book Ie 7

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Roger F. Gay

Roger F. Gay

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 09 October 2006 - 10:20 AM

Problem

YAHOO address book pops "up" beneath the current window, when I click on "To:", while writing mail. I then have to click on its icon on the bottom bar to use it.

Background

I've been using YAHOO for years. The address book has always popped up on top -- which makes perfect sense. The only reason to call it is to use it. Of course, you have to see it to use it.

I just switched to IE 7 and have had trouble getting my pop-up management back where it should be. I reset settings in Pop-up Blocker (yes, I found that) ... then thought my google bar installation (also blocks pop-ups) might have been screwed up when IE 7 was installed (I didn't have to reinstall Google tool bar).

But well .... kind of looks like maybe rebooting after resetting Pop-up Blocker did the trick for many of my problems; Right now except for one that I know of.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roger F. Gay

Roger F. Gay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2006 - 08:39 AM

I'm pretty sure that this is one of those things that is really easy if you know what the trick is. I think I fixed it once before, a few years ago. I simply set something somewhere or something. But I don't remember exactly.

I remember finding the answer using a google search. I got lucky and found it on the first page. All attempts to do the same thing this time have failed.

#3 Roger F. Gay

Roger F. Gay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2006 - 02:39 AM

Hints and guesses would even be appreciated. I think, last time I fixed this -- someone made a guess that led to the right search terms -- used in google search -- and I found the problem.

One thing I (almost) remember - it might have happened the first time after installing google toolbar. I'd like to try uninstalling google toolbar's popup blocker. I've already searched help and followed instructions, but that only takes me to removing popup blocker from display on the toolbar; I think.

I'm going to post a question on removal of google's popup blocker separately, because I think this topic has gotten old and is probably being ignored now. I do not want to remove google toolbar completely. I love it.

#4 kev25v6

kev25v6

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 13 October 2006 - 03:39 AM

Try in add/remove programs. Find google toolbar and see if it has an option to change it. Also you would be better using firefox as your browser instead of IE7, its lots more secure from popups etc. USe this link for it. http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/ It has tabbed browsing and you can set it in options where to open a new window.

#5 Roger F. Gay

Roger F. Gay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2006 - 05:27 AM

RE: Add/Remove in Control Panel. I've been there. The only listing is for Google Toolbar -- not google popup blocker seperately. If I remember correctly, clicking will automatically uninstall the application -- in this case the whole Google Toolbar. Is that right? Or will I at least get another screen asking for confirmation before anything happens?

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,992 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 13 October 2006 - 05:54 AM

The problem may be caused by having too many popup blockers activated at the same time on the same browser. Microsoft recommends turning off all but one popup blocker. Some security programs have blockers such as Zone Alarm, etc.. Msn has a popup blocker as does IE. It may be possible to turn off the blocker in Google or put individual sites on a "white List to allow popups" but I have found nothing that allows you to uninstall blocker without uninstalling the entire Google tool bar.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 Roger F. Gay

Roger F. Gay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2006 - 08:45 AM

Thanks buddy215. I fear there might not be an answer other than giving up Google toobar -- which I definitely don't want to do. Of course .. dumping IE and using Opera (for example, because I already have it installed) is an alternative ... right now it's one that looks better than uninstalling the toolbar that I want. If Microsoft wants to force me to make a choice .. well ... they lose.

Edited by Roger F. Gay, 16 October 2006 - 09:12 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users