Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Insider Podcast Episode 15, Released May 30, 2018.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 04 June 2018 - 10:22 PM

Windows Insider Podcast Episode 15, Released May 30, 2018.

Podcast link: https://insider.windows.com/en-us/podcast/updates-and-features-and-engineers-oh-my/?utm_campaign=coschedule&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=windowsinsider

(Yes this link is very long, if a staff member would like to shorten it, please do)

Title of the podcast: Updates and Features and Engineers – Oh, my!

You can read the podcast or listen to it (56:54 min.) There are over 900 lines to read and IMO it's worth it, there's some good stuff to glean about the WIP. A quote below which I appreciate about the Windows Insider Program:

Note: The following text is quoted as a [<-SNIP->] from the podcast. All credit is due to those who authored the podcast, not meYou will need to scroll down quite a bit to find this breakout from the podcast conversation.

DONA SARKAR:  Yeah.  It seemed pretty legit.  I was thinking about it.  Like, this wouldn't be the worst, we could go to Singapore and yell.  We go lots of places and yell, so we can yell in Singapore, that's fine.  We yell, that's fine.  (Laughter.)

Okay, so Windows is an OS that serves more than a billion people in lots of languages -- let's say "lots."  Its crazy complicated, takes a lot of work to get updates ready for the public -- like today.  So why do we torture ourselves with this?  Why do we ship twice a year to the general public?  Why do we ship to Insiders sometimes three or four times a week?  Why do we do this, Jason?  Why?

JASON HOWARD:  Because it's awesome?  I mean, it really is.  When you think about Microsoft five years ago, ten years ago, there was the perception of it being a slow-moving iceberg, really, where it would take two, three, four or more years to get this gigantic update that would come out.  And it would be almost a wholesale overhaul of the entire OS.

DONA SARKAR:  Right.

JASON HOWARD:  The look would be different, the feel would be almost completely different.  I mean, especially like when you look at the jump from Windows 7 to Windows 8, like we threw the world for a loop with that one.

DONA SARKAR:  XP to Win 7, too.

JASON HOWARD:  Yeah.

DONA SARKAR:  It was, like, "What is the search box you've introduced?"

JASON HOWARD:  And then that little hop in the middle called "Vista" that everybody --

DONA SARKAR:  Yep.  I was there.  I was there.

JASON HOWARD:  All those question marks that came up.  So not only was it about getting features out to customers faster, there was a lot to be said for getting bug fixes and just general changes out.  And I mean all of this culminated in the reason the Insider Program was created was the old -- let's call it what it is, the old beta program was, "Hey, we're a year out from a release approximately, we're going to give you a build of what we've built so far, so you can start."

[End <-SNIP->]

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users