Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP! New Business around buying and selling computers question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Homosapien1990

Homosapien1990

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 04 June 2018 - 04:47 PM

Hi! Ive just recently got into the buying and selling business and I dont know much about computers. Well the thing is Ive come across a tech company that regularly has a 12x12 room FULL of computer systems. Were talking a lot of laptops (hp, Dell, Lenovo,) as well as monitors and towers and even printers and speakers filled to the ceiling. They told me all the computers they have had the hard drive taken out in order to protect data. So all the computers just need a new hard drive. These are 4-5 year old computers. Theyre selling them for 5 bucks per piece of equipment. I just started doing this for a living so Im not sure if I should pick these up or what I should do with them if I do because I know Little about computers especially hardware. Does anyone have advice on to help me get regular computers through this company and make a living off of it? ANY advice on how to turn a profit Id appreciate very much. Thank you for your time

Edited by hamluis, 04 June 2018 - 05:13 PM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to Gen Chat - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,449 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 04 June 2018 - 04:57 PM

they are probably all stolen computers

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 04 June 2018 - 05:13 PM

Embarking on a business...about which you know nothing...well, that just doesn't seem like a sound business plan, IMO.

Google will be your constant companion, I think.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 04 June 2018 - 05:19 PM.

#4 Homosapien1990

Homosapien1990
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2018 - 05:49 PM

let me ask you guys this.. what would you do in my situation

Edited by Homosapien1990, 04 June 2018 - 05:54 PM.

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2018 - 06:32 PM

Not put all my eggs in one basket, and remember that anything that sounds too good to be true, usually is.

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,351 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 04 June 2018 - 06:40 PM

What is your market strategy for selling these refurbished computers.

Edited by The-Toolman, 05 June 2018 - 05:45 AM.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#7 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 05 June 2018 - 10:01 AM

These types of deals are very common and most of the computer hobbyists stay away from these deals because it is a losing proposition. Besides the fact that you have to buy a BRAND NEW hard drive for every computer, you also have to install a functional operating system.

The basic license for a Windows system will cost approx. $100 a computer and you have to legally purchase that license and then spend the time to install the OS itself. If there are no driver issues then the time to install each OS will still take about an hour. Now you are already into each computer the time involved in assembly, the time to install the OS and drivers and the money for the hard drive and the OS. It is a losing proposition.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#8 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 05 June 2018 - 12:23 PM

Just a continuation of my last post. Once you have the whole system up and running and truly functional, you will probably have at least 3 hours of labor and at least $150 of hard cash involved in each machine. Could you sell each computer for $150 to recoup your investment? Probably not because it would still not be worth $150, maybe just $75 or so.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users