Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CSV file not copying properly

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Gozoman

Gozoman

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 04 June 2018 - 04:00 PM

I'm trying to copy my contact list to a new windows 10 computer from my Windows 7 computer. Every time I create a CSV file I tick ever box for the fields I want copied but when I import it into my new laptop a lot of the fields are unchecked. Things like surname for example. And there doesn't seem to be any way of correcting this so I just have to create another file, check all the boxes and again it leaves stuff out. Anyone else had this problem and know how to fix it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,757 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2018 - 05:59 PM

A CSV file is a form of Excel file. Have you tried saving your CSV file on the Win 7 machine as an Excel XLS or XLSX type file on the Win 7 machine and then copying that over ?  If you have to, you can always then save it as a CSV file on the Win 10 machine and import that into your contact list.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,041 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 04 June 2018 - 07:49 PM

Are these contacts from Outook? If yes you can export multiple contacts as Vcards. Those may import cleaner but the problem is you can import only one at a time unless you purchase software that will let you import multiple Vcards. I don't know how many contacts you are dealing with.

https://www.msoutlook.info/question/803

#4 Gozoman

Gozoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2018 - 07:59 PM

A CSV file is a form of Excel file. Have you tried saving your CSV file on the Win 7 machine as an Excel XLS or XLSX type file on the Win 7 machine and then copying that over ?  If you have to, you can always then save it as a CSV file on the Win 10 machine and import that into your contact list.

Chris Cosgrove

I could try that, but tomorrow I think.

Are these contacts from Outook? If yes you can export multiple contacts as Vcards. Those may import cleaner but the problem is you can import only one at a time unless you purchase software that will let you import multiple Vcards. I don't know how many contacts you are dealing with.

https://www.msoutlook.info/question/803

A lot of contacts!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users