Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop LED screens

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 trytibbs

trytibbs

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 04 June 2018 - 12:57 PM

I'm an old boy who still repairs PC's. That said, I have no knowledge on how LED screens work. This is the first time I've run into a problem with an LED screen that has a darker spot in the upper screen. Usually, these screens are broken and it's a matter of replacement. This one baffles me. The laptop HDMI out works great. No problems. I'm assuming the screen is bad. Any advice?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,722 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 04 June 2018 - 06:34 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !

It may well be a damaged screen but whether or not it needs to be changed depends on the owner's needs. If they are doing graphics work or gaming on it then, probably yes. However I have an elderly acquaintance with an almost as elderly and considerably more battered Samsung notebook. I am constantly amazed that it still works !  This has a 'smudge' in roughly the shape of a letter'C' rotated 90o clockwise across the bottom and right hand third side of the screen.

I would find it unusable if it was on my main desktop but all she does on this laptop is browsing, emailing and Skype so it doesn't bother her at all, she hadn't even noticed it until I pointed it out to her. She's happy, leave her be.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 trytibbs

trytibbs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2018 - 10:02 PM

The person obviously isn't happy or they wouldn't have brought it to me to be fixed. A new display is a mere 42 dollars. My question is whether anyone with in depth tech experience on LED displays can confirm it's that some of the LEDs have simply gone dim or whether it could possibly be a motherboard problem.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 05 June 2018 - 06:39 AM

Seeing a photo of the screen would likely make it easier to judge, but generally speaking if it's a moderate region of the screen darkened, it's going to be a sub-string of LEDs within a backlight strip not lit. If it appeared the entire backlight strip top or bottom was out, then you should check whether the light strip or LED driver is the cause.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 05 June 2018 - 09:32 AM

The person obviously isn't happy or they wouldn't have brought it to me to be fixed.

To be fair, you didn't identify this as "the reason it was brought in."  I've ended up fixing things not originally requested (after clearing same with customer, of course) and most of my home service visits involve fixing the problem the customer identified along with about 20 things of the "while you're here" variety or that I consider to be in the "must be fixed" if they consent but didn't even know about (e.g. unsecured WiFi) category.

From your description I would suspect something's gone wonky with the LED display, but, as Platypus has previously requested, a photo of same showing clearly what's not working, and preferably a full screen photo, would be most helpful in making a definitive diagnosis.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#6 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 790 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 05 June 2018 - 12:34 PM

you can take the lcd assembly apart and see if any of the led's are burnt out.  that will cause a dark spot.

you have a couple layers involved and you must keep them clean in between the layers or you will cause shadows in the screen.  and orientation must be maintained or you have a messed up image.

it's not hard to do. just time consuming. and you can buy replacement led strips online.

you just have to decide whether it's worth time time and money.

Edited by mightywiz, 05 June 2018 - 12:36 PM.

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,679 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2018 - 12:58 PM

If a replacement display can be obtained for $42, the cost in time to dismantle and repair would probably outweigh that.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,129 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2018 - 01:00 PM

If a replacement display can be obtained for $42, the cost in time to dismantle and repair would probably outweigh that.

Unless you're doing it for free or can do it in well under 30 minutes (and that's for "cheap techs" such as myself, hourly rates are much higher elsewhere in the country) there's no "probably" about it, particularly when you consider that you have to dismantle the machine just as much to get at the screen to try to fix a part of it as to pop in a replacement in a few minutes after you've arrived there.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#9 trytibbs

trytibbs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2018 - 05:21 PM

Took me all of 15 minutes to remove the screen and it's for a friends daughter who uses it for her college course. I'm just doing her a favor. There is no particular pattern other than it seems to be more predominant on the upper right than the left side. The display itself can't be disassembled either. I'd post a pic but apparently I'd have to jump through hoops to do that. Its an LED display. NOT an led back lit display. I'm assuming the led driver is in the display itself. You techies know how hard it is to find PC schematics. Anyway, the display is a LP156WHU TP G2 if that helps. I've done my share of back lit displays. This is a different beast. They must sell like hotcakes.

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,679 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2018 - 06:01 PM

The LP156WHU TP G2 comes up as an LED backlit LCD screen?

Edit: People attach images of their hardware in their posts often, just browse to the file.

Edited by Platypus, 05 June 2018 - 06:08 PM.

#11 trytibbs

trytibbs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2018 - 07:43 PM

The LP156WHU TP G2 comes up as an LED backlit LCD screen?

Edit: People attach images of their hardware in their posts often, just browse to the file.

You are apparently right. My mistake. The inverter must be in the display. Since she wants it fixed, time to peel apart the old screen. I have some newer led strips on hand. Thanx for the reply.

#12 trytibbs

trytibbs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2018 - 01:11 PM

UPDATE: New screen, 10 minutes to change it, works perfectly. The owner is a happy camper. Thanx for all your replies.

Edited by trytibbs, 11 June 2018 - 01:12 PM.

#13 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,129 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2018 - 06:07 PM

UPDATE: New screen, 10 minutes to change it, works perfectly. The owner is a happy camper. Thanx for all your replies.

I gather by "new screen" you mean, literally, an entirely new unit.

Until this thread I had never heard of replacing the LED backlight strips which, while entirely possible, seems like an awful lot of fiddly work given the cost of a screen assembly.

~ Austin O'Malley

#14 trytibbs

trytibbs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2018 - 09:47 PM

I gather by "new screen" you mean, literally, an entirely new unit.

Until this thread I had never heard of replacing the LED backlight strips which, while entirely possible, seems like an awful lot of fiddly work given the cost of a screen assembly.

This particular screen was a new one to me. You couldn't open it without breaking it. The screen was relatively cheap. The laptop was just out of warranty. I've done many CCFL to LED back light conversions. 2 days shipping for the screen and the company packaged it well. I was impressed. I'd give the company name but since this is a forum, it's probably not allowed. I'm sure you pros already know it anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users