Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Defender smartsreen cannot be reached

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Cluless

Cluless

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 04 June 2018 - 04:02 AM

Hi Guys

I have posted this on the Windows 10 forum and received zero assistance. I am posting it here where I have enjoyed good support at all times:

Hi Guys

I have an Acer laptop with Windows 10 OS, Windows Defender AV and Malwarebytes premium. When downloading a programme I have started to get the above message. I have slow internet connection but works . I have also checked that Smartscreen is switched on, it is.

Any ideas?

regards

Cluey

I am also not able to download a programme like adwcleaner with  a message that says

"

CANNOT FIND RIGHT PATH OR YOU DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT PERMISSION"

Any help would be appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,878 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 04 June 2018 - 08:11 AM

At what website are you attempting these downloads?

https://www.kapilarya.com/windows-smartscreen-cant-be-reached-right-now-windows-10

Louis

#3 Cluless

Cluless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2018 - 08:19 AM

. hanks for response

Typically adwcleaner at malwarebytes

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 04 June 2018 - 08:56 AM

That warning message happens under exactly the circumstances it describes:  the other end of the check at Microsoft can't be reached.   Given the whims of the internet the reasons for this are myriad.

I ignore this entirely when I know I'm dealing with software I've installed before or that I know I've downloaded from a reputable third-party site.  If the stuff has passed scanning by whatever antivirus or security suite you're running you can feel reasonably safe even if the software is brand new to you.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 Cluless

Cluless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2018 - 10:47 AM

Hi Btitechguy

I do ignore the warning and ask the program to run, but I then get blocked by a message that says "it cannot find the right path or I do not have the right permission" and doesn't let me run the programme

Cluey

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,142 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2018 - 05:21 PM

I can't advise you on anything that says "cannot find" as I can't imagine how one would have triggered something only to have Windows say it can't find it.  That makes no sense.

The permissions part may be that you need to run the program in question with administrator privileges.  Try right clicking on it and choosing Run as administrator from the context menu that pops up.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#7 Cluless

Cluless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2018 - 06:45 AM

Hi Britech

Sorry for late reply I have been on Grandad duty. The actual message I get is:

" Windows cannot access the specified device path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access them.  "

regards 

Cluey

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,142 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:08 AM

Well, as I said, this issue is often caused when a program needs to access a file or folder location that requires administrator privileges when you don't have them.

Just being logged in with an account that has admin privileges is not enough in many cases.  You must make a point of running said program using "Run as administrator" when you right click on its icon and selecting that on the context menu or by creating a shortcut and checking the "Run as administrator" checkbox in the Advanced dialog of the Shortcut Tab of the Properties Dialog for the shortcut itself (right click and select Properties from the context menu).

If you are using a standard account then you will have to go with the "Run as administrator" from the context menu for the program icon itself and then supply the username and password for an account on the machine with admin privileges.

~ Austin O'Malley

#9 Cluless

Cluless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2018 - 07:09 AM

Hi Britech

Thanks for help have resolved the issue now.

regards

Cluey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users