Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flash drive malfunctioned I guess.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RenzoBola

RenzoBola

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2018 - 01:25 AM

Actually, I noticed that my flash drive has hidden files, so I intended to use this software to fix my flash drive issue.

AnmDxx0.png

CwwNMYC.png

and actually It's been working before. It always fixes my flash drive issues (eg shortcut icon issues, hidden files, etc). Then suddenly after I finished scanning issues of my flash drive, assuming that the issue is going to be solved, this pops up on my system tray: 

V6vko4r.png

clicking the balloon will show this:

78RMdlb.png

------------------------------------------------------

Now I am looking for a solution how to solve this "One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it." issue. googling it, nothing solves the issue. Tried uninstalling drives on device manager, restarting my pc, nothing happens. Using recovery tools are not helping for the reason that my pc can't detect my malfunctioned flash drive. All solutions I google'd assumed that the problem is on my port, but I believe it is on my flash drive considering the issue happened after I scanned it. 

plugged the flash drive in other ports, issue still persist. plugged it on another computer and the problem still occurs.

I'm not worrying about the files contained, I am worrying that the flash drive won't work as it is. Please heeeelp :(

I am using Windows 7 Ultimate
All my drivers are up to date :(

Edited by RenzoBola, 04 June 2018 - 01:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DataMedic

DataMedic

Authorized DataMedic Rep

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 04 June 2018 - 01:54 PM

Let me guess.  Did you buy this flash drive on eBay?

#3 RenzoBola

RenzoBola
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2018 - 09:50 PM

Let me guess.  Did you buy this flash drive on eBay?

I mean, it's logically broken. Is buying it somewhere matters? But I dunno, it seems my flashdrive kinda looks generically cheap. 

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,989 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2018 - 09:56 PM

The number of fake USB and SD/microSD storage devices sold on eBay is quite high - and particularly ones that claim to be high capacity.  So, yes, it can matter.

You state, in your opening message, "I'm not worrying about the files contained, I am worrying that the flash drive won't work as it is."

If you are not worried about the files, I can assure you that the drive is toast and you are just throwing good effort after bad trying to fix it.  Toss the thing, smashing it with a hammer first if you're worried at all about any possibility of anyone recovering the contents, and move along with life.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 RenzoBola

RenzoBola
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2018 - 09:38 AM

The number of fake USB and SD/microSD storage devices sold on eBay is quite high - and particularly ones that claim to be high capacity.  So, yes, it can matter.

You state, in your opening message, "I'm not worrying about the files contained, I am worrying that the flash drive won't work as it is."

If you are not worried about the files, I can assure you that the drive is toast and you are just throwing good effort after bad trying to fix it.  Toss the thing, smashing it with a hammer first if you're worried at all about any possibility of anyone recovering the contents, and move along with life.

I dunno if there's a solution in it. Besides, I might use it if ever the issue persist let's say on quality flash drives. Thank you, I guess I should conclude that my flash drive is already toasted lol.

Edited by RenzoBola, 05 June 2018 - 09:39 AM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,421 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2018 - 10:34 AM

Download Testdisk, unzip the file to a folder on the desktop. Run PhotoRec on the USB flash drive. All files recovered will default to the folder you unzipped Testdisk to. Download the 32bit version of Testdisk even if  you have a 64bit OS (Edit: if using v7). If you only have one hard drive the flash drive will be labeled sdb if PhotoRec can detect it.

https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_Step_By_Step

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhWbSM-630E

PhotoRec recovers files in realtime.

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 June 2018 - 10:35 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users