Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random system crashes and BIOS hangs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hinsen

hinsen

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2018 - 10:15 PM

I got the build (exclude the graphic card) back in March and problem started happening after two weeks.

Specs:
CPU: AMD RYZEN R5 1600
MB: Gigabyte GA-AB350M-DS3H 
RAM: ADATA XPG Z1  8GB DDR4 3000 Mhz C16 
Graphic Card: GTX 1060 6GB or GTX 660 2GB (one at a time, same problem occurs)
PSU: Antec Neoeco II Series NEO-ECO2-550 550W
Storage:
 - SSD: Intel® SSD 760p Series 256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 (OS installed)
 - HDD: Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB 7200rpm 3.5

When I go into BIOS, it could hang within several minutes. 
It sometimes stutter too.
When it finally hung, keyboard and mouse input gave no response and force restart was needed.

Sometimes when I watch videos or do random web browsing with Opera/Chrome, the system would crash without BSOD. The screen would freeze, but the sound still lasts for a few seconds and sometimes with buzzing sound. This could also occur when doing some text editing with something like Sublime Text or just being idle. Playing games would sometimes cause the problem but less likely. So it seems it could happen randomly when I do anything or even do nothing.

It also happened that the system froze with no response and no auto reboot when I tried to reinstall windows.

I tried to reinstall OS in SSD, remove HDD, change graphic card, change RAM slot, change BIOS setting to try to disable random features. The problem still persists. 

I have sent the computer back to the store where I purchased the parts several times.
Every time they claimed they could not reproduce the problem and I don't know what else to do. 
Specs:
CPU: AMD RYZEN R5 1600
MB: Gigabyte GA-AB350M-DS3H 
RAM: ADATA XPG Z1  8GB DDR4 3000 Mhz C16 
Graphic Card: GTX 1060 6GB or GTX 660 2GB (one at a time, same problem occurs)
PSU: Antec Neoeco II Series NEO-ECO2-550 550W
Storage:
 - SSD: Intel® SSD 760p Series 256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 (OS installed)
 - HDD: Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB 7200rpm 3.5

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 03 June 2018 - 11:49 PM

A number of faults come to mind and they are all MOBO related.  The area around the firmware BIOS chip may be getting stressed when mounted and a cold solder joint or poor connection to any chips associated with the BIOS, including power sources.  As the board warms up, the fault may go away as the board "grows" a little.  I've seen this happen with shorted standoffs.  Breadboard the unit on anti-static material and see what happens.  Ask how the repair company tested the board, in or out of a chassis.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 04 June 2018 - 12:08 PM

Let's see some data.

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

post-33068-0-86653600-1480692866_thumb.j

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot.

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the ADD REPLY or REPLY TO THIS TOPIC button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Louis

#4 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 04 June 2018 - 05:49 PM

most common issue with bios hanging is a bad hard drive, unplug your hard drives and see if you can access your bios faster.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users