Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

case fans won't spin

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 boogersugar

boogersugar

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 03 June 2018 - 09:21 PM

I have 2 (older) antec 120mm tricool fans in my case.
When I boot up they move, barely, then stop moving.
There were 3 fans in the case, but one of them was busted and making a lot of noise, so I took it out. Since then the other 2 fans won't work. They were working fine before.

The power supply is a (brand new) EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G3.

One of the power cables from the EVGA is a peripheral cable with 4 4-pin plugs, they look like these https://imgur.com/arPkkCc
These are the only type of connectors my fans have. So i cannot plug into the motherboard.

The issue is not the line itself coming from the power supply, as I have connected a DVDR drive to the same peripheral line and it works fine.
I unplugged the DVDR drive and left the fans connected, thinking maybe the DVDR was using too much power for some reason. Unfortunately this did not solve the problem as the fans are still not working properly.

I'm totally in the dark on this one, especially because the fans were working fine before.

I have tried moved the power plugs for the fans to different parts of the peripheral cable coming from the power supply but no change, still not working.

I would appreciate any ideas you might have about this. Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 03 June 2018 - 10:03 PM

Do the fans behave the same regardless of the speed setting?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 boogersugar

boogersugar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2018 - 11:51 PM

Do the fans behave the same regardless of the speed setting?

Ah the one thing I didn't think of trying.

Fan #1 works once you slide the position from Low (where I had it) to any other position, and will work if you put it back on low.

Fan #2 won't work no matter what I do with the position or where I place the power plug. I can even piggyback the plug for #1 onto #2 and #1 will still work, #2 will not work.

Fan #3 is the one I took out because it was making noise. It works no matter what.

Taking the DVR off the power line has no effect on anything. Have tried moving the power plug config around every possible way.

I'm at a loss here.

Edited by boogersugar, 03 June 2018 - 11:52 PM.

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2018 - 12:02 AM

Yes those particular fans have a speed switch on them.  It will probably be suspended on a cable coming out of the fan.

Beyond that, as long as power is being supplied at the correct voltage (and it sounds like it is) then they should work...  You could check the voltage delivered with a multi meter if you have one.  Check that they spin freely without power going to them, most fans turn quite easily.  If there is notable resistance and/or side to side or in out play then the bearing has probably had it and they are done for.   On some fans which were showing signs of wear but not totally dead, I have got them spinning more smoothly by adding grease to the bearing.  Sometimes there is a port hidden under the central label of the fan where grease can be added.  This isn't possible on all fans however.

Edited by jonuk76, 04 June 2018 - 12:03 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 04 June 2018 - 12:08 AM

It looks to me like the fans have just got old and cranky...

Fan #3 probably has noisy bearings? #1 might also have a bad bearing, but have high friction rather than making noise.
If #2 will not run at all, even if you give it a spin by hand, then it probably failed internally (electrical).

I think you might just need new fans.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 June 2018 - 04:20 AM

Try this:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103052

#7 boogersugar

boogersugar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2018 - 07:39 AM

Wow perfect, thanks for that. What a price.

I better hurry and buy them for $12.95 before the sale expires in 18 hours and they go up to $12.99!!!!

I really need a couple mounting brackets for the case which I cant find anywhere, I've emailed Antec and waiting to hear back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users