Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

C drive suddenly full

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hardstuck_egirl

hardstuck_egirl

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 03 June 2018 - 07:10 PM

I had around 70 gb free on my c drive a few days ago. Today I have 38, and I'm worried it could be from a virus. I was going to install a cracked version of fl studio (sorry) and assumed it was clean because my friend has been using this download for months with no problems. But after i scanned the file before install i decided not to because a lot of people on totalvirus said it was a virus. I removed the installer and the folder it came with from my computer. However now I'm concerned the damage may have been done. I scanned my computer with nod32 and it detected 4 Trojans which I then removed, however my hard drive is still full. Any suggestions?  

Edited by flyingcats5, 03 June 2018 - 08:00 PM.
Deleted link to source of cracked file.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 03 June 2018 - 07:45 PM

Have you tried to determine what is filling it (as in what file, or files)?  A utility such as Tree Size Free, which can be downloaded as a portable executable if it's impossible to install anything, can give you some useful information about exactly what the space hog(s) is (are).

Have you tried running Disk Cleanup (Windows built in) to see how much it clears and whether you fill up again "almost immediately"?

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 hardstuck_egirl

hardstuck_egirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 03 June 2018 - 08:10 PM

Have you tried to determine what is filling it (as in what file, or files)?  A utility such as Tree Size Free, which can be downloaded as a portable executable if it's impossible to install anything, can give you some useful information about exactly what the space hog(s) is (are).

Have you tried running Disk Cleanup (Windows built in) to see how much it clears and whether you fill up again "almost immediately"?

It looks to me that it was mainly steam and adobe creative cloud taking up a lot of space. I'm going to assume that something updated and used up 20 gb. I also used 3 different anti viruses and the results were negative. Do you think it's safe to assume my systems clean?

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 03 June 2018 - 08:55 PM

If you did not get any warnings from whatever antivirus you have installed, plus did supplementary scans that have come back clean, I wouldn't worry about a virus infection.

You might want to run an antimalware scanner such as Malwarebytes, but I'm doubting it will find anything of significance (unless you've been inclined to do the sort of thing you said you reconsidered in this particular case - if you do you could be loaded up with malware, adware, spyware, etc. - which are not viruses).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users