Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Wifi speeds are crippling slow but good on my mobile phone. Why

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JohnnyZenith

JohnnyZenith

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 03 June 2018 - 04:23 PM

My Wifi speeds are crippling slow but good on my mobile phone. Why?

Speedtest reveals speeds all over the place. One second I have 3.84mbps (bleep) and the next 1.46 etc?! My mobile phone always posts speeds of 9mbps.
Is my mobile using 5ghz but my PC 2.5? How do I use 5Ghz? There is another similar Wifi name with 5ghz but also one with the extension _EXT. Is this messing things up?

My router is downstairs but it worked for ages before. It is my landlords so I cannot mess around.

No I cannot use Ethernet and I tried uninstalling my wifi driver and installing again - with reboot. My adapter is up to date Windows tells me.

Thanks

Edited by JohnnyZenith, 03 June 2018 - 04:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnnyZenith

JohnnyZenith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2018 - 01:52 AM

So this morning my mobile phone gets 22 mbps download and my PC 1mbps.

#3 Replicator

Replicator

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 04 June 2018 - 10:18 AM

Connect your PC to the 5ghz frequency at the gateway if your NIC supports dual band.......its on the same network, same AP so password should be the same.

The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear!
CEH, CISSP @ WhiteHat Computers Pty Ltd

#4 JohnnyZenith

JohnnyZenith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2018 - 11:32 AM

My card doesn't support it I don't think.

#5 JohnnyZenith

JohnnyZenith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2018 - 12:58 PM

I have tried installing a new device driver and at first I get increased speeds. Up to 6mbps instead of less than 1. Then after a few minutes it goes back down again or doesn't work at all.

#6 JohnnyZenith

JohnnyZenith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2018 - 01:10 PM

Now I'm getting angry. I connected to 5ghz as I have a dual band card. First I think great faster speeds. 8mbps up from 1mbps. Then a minute later back down to the super low speeds again.

#7 Replicator

Replicator

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 07 June 2018 - 06:31 AM

Is your mobile also connected to the router and using its bandwidth, or are its speeds your measuring from your mobile suppliers network?

It sounds to me like bandwidth from the router is being utilized by other devices/services beyond your control as you state that your landlord is the admin here, and consequently decides who gets what?

If this is the case, disconnect from the router and try using your phone as the modem gateway (tethering) for your PC, and retest speeds again.

The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear!
CEH, CISSP @ WhiteHat Computers Pty Ltd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users