Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Install Ubuntu Mate 18.04 32-bit on a dual UEFI BIOS with Q Flash.

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Terokal

Terokal

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 03 June 2018 - 02:40 PM

Hi.

Couldn't resist the impulse and installed Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Bionic Beaver LTS 32-bit in this one.

Windows 8 was previously the OS, and I'm not sure if it was 64-bit or 32-bit, from what I read checking it with "Disks", before going nuts. My bet is 32-bits.

Of course I made some changes on the boot and BIOS after reading some instructions on different Ubuntu forums. Lost patience cause the BIOS menu was a "show off" with big logos and too many options to change (or not to touch).

Ended up dizzy and just give it a go just for the sake of doing it. It takes maybe half an hour for Ubuntu's desktop to show (if it shows), and 20 minutes for the menus to be visible, but then it works fine.

From what I wrote down it's a 3.8 GiB Memory and the processor is an Intel Core i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30GHz x 4. Motherboard is Gigabyte. It's a Western Digital HDD, 500 GB, made in 2012 (WD Caviar Blue). American Megatrends BIOS with the "show off" disabled (it run so fast I'm not 100% sure of it).

What other info should I provide first to get things going ? (if there's an option for this PC). I'm thinking creating a good usb installer to start with. (LOL).

Thank you.

Edited by Terokal, 03 June 2018 - 02:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 03 June 2018 - 04:43 PM

You say "Couldn't resist the impulse and installed Ubuntu Mate" - a highly commendable impulse - but did you actually install it it or run it from 'live' media, a DVD or USB stick?  I have three dual booting computers, my desktop (Win 7) and two laptops, one with Win 7 the other Win 8.1 as their original OSs. If you installed it you should get the Linux bootloader appearing briefly just after start when you get the chance to choose which OS you want to boot into with the default being Linux. It certainly should not take anything like 20 - 30 minutes to get to a working condition, more like 10% of those values !

Before you tried dual booting did you get into the BIOS and disable secure boot and fast start ?  If you didn't then I suggest you go into the BIOS and do this.

With a UEFI BIOS built with 8.0, 8.1 (or 10) if you don't see the maker's screen at startup, which gives you the chance to get into the BIOS with, usually, 'Del' or 'F2', then as soon as the computer starts up press and hold down the power button to force an immediate shutdown. Usually you need to do this three times before you will get the option, among others, to enter 'Set-up' where you get the chance to make these changes.

Try that and see what happens.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 03 June 2018 - 04:47 PM

1. What computer is it, look under the battery if it is a laptop.

2. Always check the HDD before jumping in.  Get yourself a USB or DVD with one of the popular tools on it.  On most modern computers there is software built in that you can do this with.

3. Why did you Install 32bit?  Always look at the Specs on pc's before jumping in.  It's easy to see that this is 64bit.  If you don't know and want help just post the Model and folks here will help.  Or boot Linux and run the "inxi -Fxz" that we've shown you.

4. Why are you so concerned in making changes in the BIOS UEFI?  Mostly you want to turn off Fast Boot, if that makes it easier for you.  Secure Boot can be turned off also and go to Legacy but is not mandatory.  If you take a few notes folks here will be able to help you better.  Go to #5 for more info on booting with Secure Boot Enabled.

5. Create your USB's with Rufus, and GPT Settings if you want to boot with UEFI, Secure Boot Enabled.  Or, just Burn a DVD.  The DVD will boot from UEFI Machines without changes to BIOS-UEFI. 

You could run as UEFI and Turn Off Fast Boot, that's how I would do it. 

This way you can install multiple distro's better, as you can create more partitions with UEFI AND GPT. 

With UEFI Disabled you are now using MBR.  Then you need to create 1-2 or 3 Primary partitions, and then create an Extended partition, so that you can create more Logical Partitions inside that Extended Partition, but only if you want to install multiple distros.  You could even just install multiple distros with MBR, but be a little limited in your Partition scheme.

What other info should I provide first to get things going ?

Always try to start out with the Model and the "inxi -Fxz" output if possible.

Edited by pcpunk, 03 June 2018 - 05:40 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,224 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2018 - 07:42 PM

Yeah 32bit is pointless on this hardware, 64bit should work on this hardware with ease

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#5 Terokal

Terokal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2018 - 07:49 PM

terokal@terokal-To-be-filled-by-O-E-M:~$ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: terokal-To-be-filled-by-O-E-M Kernel: 4.15.0-22-generic i686
           bits: 32 gcc: 7.3.0
           Desktop: MATE 1.20.1 (Gtk 3.22.30-1ubuntu1)
           Distro: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
Machine:   Device: desktop System: Gigabyte product: N/A serial: N/A
           Mobo: Gigabyte model: B75M-D3V serial: N/A
           BIOS: American Megatrends v: F5 date: 03/27/2012
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i3-2120 (-MT-MCP-) 
           arch: Sandy Bridge rev.7 cache: 3072 KB

flags: (lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 13169
           clock speeds: max: 3300 MHz 1: 1596 MHz 2: 1596 MHz 3: 1596 MHz
           4: 1596 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 2nd Generation Core Integrated Graphics Controller
           bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 )
           drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1280x1024@60.02hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Desktop x86/MMX/SSE2
           version: 3.3 Mesa 18.0.0-rc5 Direct Render: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 7 Series/C216 Family High Def. Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.15.0-22-generic
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCIE Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: e000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: enp2s0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (1.3% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD5000AAKX size: 500.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 457G used: 5.3G (2%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/dm-0
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 1.02GB used: 0.00GB (0%)
           fs: swap dev: /dev/dm-1
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 29.8C mobo: 27.8C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 182 Uptime: 7:25 Memory: 633.8/3917.0MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: N/A
           Client: Shell (bash 4.4.191) inxi: 2.3.56 

Hi guys, sorry for all that messy information. Hope all the info about the "box" is there. Thing is when I enter the BIOS, it's so much stuff there that I just go crazy. Don't even wanna check it in case the start up lasts another half an hour. Anyways, I have to. I'll try to write down or upload a picture just to show you guys. I'd say it's an ensamble, an hybrid as they usually make in this part of the world if you wanna buy a cheaper computer.

Hi Chris, well, sure for me it's the best decision, but under certain circumstances. As Pcpunk says, it's better to start a post if you don't know what you're about to do.

Cheers.

Edited by Terokal, 03 June 2018 - 09:58 PM.

#6 Terokal

Terokal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2018 - 05:30 AM

Hi guys, having problems with Rufus. It won't install via terminal.

The bootable USB (the checksum went OK) I'm using for Ubuntu Mate 18.04 LTS amd64 has 2 partitions :

It's an SMI USB disk (1100). Size 4.0 GB. Master Boot Record.

Partition 1 : Size : 2.0 GB.

Device : /deb/sdb1.

Partition Type : 0x00 (Bootable).

Contents : ISO 9660 (version Joliet Extension). Mounted at /media/terokal/Ubuntu-Mate 18.04 LTS amd64

Partition 2 :

Size : 2.4 MB.

Device : /deb/sdb2.

Partition Type : EFI (FAT-12/16/32).

Contents : FAT 12-bit version - Not Mounted.

Plus 2.0 GB of Device : /dev/sdb. Contents : Unallocated Space.

Sorry for all the questions, thought I got it when I first installed Ubuntu Mate like 4 years ago, if my memory is right.

Sounds like a good bootable one?

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,115 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2018 - 10:24 AM

Rufus is a Windows based tool.  Don't worry about this yet.  You could use the media you have now but we need to see what your BIOS Settings are. 

Please go into BIOS and take notes on these settings:

UEFI

SECURE BOOT

FAST BOOT, OR FAST START

CSM, LEGACY

What Model is the computer?  Please don't avoid this question again if you want help.  It appears you thought it was in the inxi output but it's not.

Do you have any DVD's

I feel you should check the Hard Drive first to see if this is all worth while.  Use THIS TUTORIAL that I showed you before from dc3.

ID-2: swap-1 size: 1.02GB used: 0.00GB (0%)

What's this guys, I thought Bionic Beaver was not creating a swap partition, but a swap folder?  Did the OP do this, or is it something to do with MBR Install?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,115 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2018 - 10:39 AM

Terokal, what machine is this, your Main Desktop or a project?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 Terokal

Terokal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2018 - 11:42 PM

Hi pcpunk, this machine I'd like to keep it as main desktop for some time.

UEFI

SECURE BOOT

FAST BOOT, OR FAST START

CSM, LEGACY

What Model is the computer?  Please don't avoid this question again if you want help.  It appears you thought it was in the inxi output but it's not.

Right now it is booting (gonna take half an hour probably). Will try to take a picture of what it shows when I'm on the BIOS.

As for the Model I simply have no idea. I'm as ignorant as it gets. Is there any tool or software to get that info?. Nothing on the case shows a thing. No stickers, no numbers, just a code of bars on the back. Is it on the motherboard?, the HDD?, the DVD?, the case?. I'm lost.

Actually, I'm typing from the Toshiba laptop of the previous thread cause the "unknown model" one is taking more than usual to start. Ubuntu Mate symbol and the little circles turning from white to green are a now a boring scene to watch.

Cheers.

#10 RJNB

RJNB

• Members
  • 285 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 05 June 2018 - 01:57 AM

Hi pcpunk, this machine I'd like to keep it as main desktop for some time.

UEFI

SECURE BOOT

FAST BOOT, OR FAST START

CSM, LEGACY

Right now it is booting (gonna take half an hour probably). Will try to take a picture of what it shows when I'm on the BIOS.

Well, from what you say above, it seems to me that you don't know how to get into BIOS- you shouldn't need more than a minuter(maybe even less) to get into BIOS...If you know already, please ignore this.

Based on your motherboard, to get into BIOS you need to press the del(delete) key immediately after the machine is powered on.

If you happen to miss that short time interval during which you need to press delete, you could press Ctrl + Alt + Del to reboot-no need to let the OS load and then restart.

As for the model, there should be a sticker with the product and serial numbers along with the manufacturer logo and model. It is usually on the case but could be on the bottom surface of the case.

By any chance, do you happen to have any documentation/setup guide/introductory manual for this device? It could have the model name/number.

I am surprised that the inxi output has nothing about the model of this device(when I run this command, it does give me mine).

The accepted answer in this thread might help- https://askubuntu.com/questions/386927/how-to-know-the-model-of-the-computer-from-ubuntu

Hope you get this sorted!

RJ

#11 Terokal

Terokal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2018 - 04:22 AM

Hi RJ. Sorry, I meant that Ubuntu won't start now. Guess I'm not lucky with old junk. Staring at the BIOS now.

UEFI - There's a PCI ROM Priority, one is LEGACY ROM, the other EFI Compatible ROM. Went for EFI.

SECURE BOOT - There's nothing near that term in the whole BIOS, M.I.T., Peripherals, System and Power Management.

FAST BOOT, OR FAST START - Intel Rapid Start Technology is Disabled.

CSM, LEGACY - CSM Support is Enabled, USB Legacy is also Enabled.

Right now I'm trying to check the USB again, so far no luck hitting the SHIFT key. Trying to get to the GRUB Menu at boot/time and nothing happens.

Found an image that fits 100% what it looks like when I hit F12 or END. If some of you know how to work all them out, things would get better cause I'm more used to an old BIOS look.Hope this pic will help ya guys, cause I'm about to have another sleepless night.

gigabyte-dual-bios-1.png

Edited by Terokal, 05 June 2018 - 05:21 AM.

#12 Terokal

Terokal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2018 - 05:52 AM

Hello pcpunk & RJ :

Can't give more info on the model, it's nowhere in the case.

Since Ubuntu Mate won't run OK (opened once but couldn't access the terminal) I'll burn another USB now with UEFI AND GPT.

Installing ubuntu-mate-18.04-desktop-amd64 now.

Got nothing to lose since it shows it's in Emergency Mode.

Cheers.

Edited by Terokal, 05 June 2018 - 05:52 AM.

#13 RJNB

RJNB

• Members
  • 285 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 05 June 2018 - 07:09 AM

Hello,

Hello pcpunk & RJ :

Can't give more info on the model, it's nowhere in the case.

Since Ubuntu Mate won't run OK (opened once but couldn't access the terminal) I'll burn another USB now with UEFI AND GPT.

Installing ubuntu-mate-18.04-desktop-amd64 now.

Got nothing to lose since it shows it's in Emergency Mode.

Cheers.

Okay, maybe the sticker was worn out with time and fell off...

I hope you have not installed Ubuntu-mate-18.04-desktop-amd64 on the hard drive of this machine yet. That's because you can open a terminal in the live session run the command from the thread I mentioned and post what you see in the first line.

EDIT: I don't know much about Linux and Ubuntu distros-I am just a beginner myself. So please wait till someone with more experience(pcpunk, Madman, Chris,etc.) has a look.

EDIT #2: I understand that you might want to get things running as fast as possible(trust me, I know how it feels to be stuck with 'old junk' which doesn't work well/at all), but please avoid removing and installing OSes before we figure out what is causing things to work slowly; that could make things a bit harder for everyone trying to help.

If you want to use the device for whatever tasks that you normally do(checking mail, surfing the net,etc.), just use the live session for now.

RJ

Edited by RJNB, 05 June 2018 - 07:27 AM.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2018 - 07:35 AM

I didn't know you could boot a linux 32bit OS on 64bit UEFI firmware. 32bit UEFI firmware is quite rare. I know that's not possible on Windows. Has things changed with linux?

Albeit, the page is somewhat old.

• Ensure that you're using a distribution that's the right bit depth—EFI runs boot loaders that are the same bit depth as the EFI itself. This is normally 64-bit for modern computers, although the first couple generations of Intel-based Macs, some modern tablets and convertibles, and a handful of obscure computers use 32-bit EFIs. I have yet to encounter a 32-bit Linux distribution that officially supports EFI, although it is possible to add a 32-bit EFI boot loader to 32-bit distributions. (My Managing EFI Boot Loaders for Linux covers boot loaders generally, and understanding those principles may enable you to modify a 32-bit distribution's installer, although that's not a task for a beginner.) Installing a 32-bit Linux distribution on a computer with a 64-bit EFI is difficult at best, and I don't describe the process here; you should use a 64-bit distribution on a computer with a 64-bit EFI.

http://www.rodsbooks.com/linux-uefi/

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 June 2018 - 07:38 AM.

#15 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,442 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2018 - 07:41 AM

Go to this link and download the motherboard manual.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-B75M-D3V-rev-10#support-manual

After the manual is downloaded open it and go to page 21 section 2.1 follow instructions.

In bios features is how you set the boot order and type so you may have to try different settings.

Edited by The-Toolman, 05 June 2018 - 07:46 AM.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users