Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ethernet connection keeps sleeping

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mklangelo

Mklangelo

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 03 June 2018 - 05:52 AM

I have a hard wired Ethernet connection with the Wifi turned off because I got sick and tired of the connection flip flopping back and forth.  But with Wifi disabled, the Ethernet still drops out if I don't use it for several minutes.  As soon as I try to load a page, after about 30 seconds, it comes back on.

I really don't have a clue why since I have the Ethernet connection configured not to do that power saving thing.  It's a laptop we're talking about here but it's always plugged in and on my desk.  

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 03 June 2018 - 04:16 PM.
Moved from Win 10 to 'Networking'.

“Let us all be happy and live within our means, even if we have to borrow the money to do it with”

-Artemus Ward

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bulgaristan

Bulgaristan

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 05 June 2018 - 04:53 AM

Hello,
This can be caused by faulty port, LAN card or Lan cable.
Try changing the router port and observer if the issue persists if yes change the cable (rebooting your router is strongly recommended.
In case you still have this issue after all of the changes you can change your the Lan card speed as something that might be really helpful.
Local Area Connection ---> Properties --> configure --> Link Speed --> from the drop-down menu pick Half Duplex 10mbps 
Seen on the screenshot 

Attached Files

#3 dmccoy

dmccoy

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 08 June 2018 - 01:09 PM

I would also check for any updated drivers for your Ethernet adapter.

We are all volunteers so please by kind, courteous and respectful of all staff and members

I try to respond in 24-48 hours normally and I am more active on weekdays than weekends. However, sometimes due to my health, family or life it may take me a little longer. If you have not heard from me within 72 hours then please PM me a reminder. 

BC BSOD Posting Instructions 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users