Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random E drive appeared on 5/31 with a capacity of 256 MB.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 AleksandrH

AleksandrH

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 02 June 2018 - 08:47 PM

I just noticed that a new drive (E) appeared on my HP laptop, and I do not have access to it. It also appears to be partially full, with a total capacity of 256 MB.

Capture.gif

I was hoping someone could advise me as to what I should do. My computer is not a Toshiba laptop, but the drive info seems to suggest this is some sort of Toshiba-manufactured drive.

I also didn't install any new software or drivers on 1/31, so I'm not sure where this came from.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AleksandrH

AleksandrH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2018 - 08:49 PM

Also just realized it's 1/31 and not 5/31. Can't recall if this drive was here all along, but I just now noticed it...

#3 Goddess_Bastet

Goddess_Bastet

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 03 June 2018 - 05:22 AM

Have you recently updated to the Spring/April update? If so then its a known bug where the recovery drive is given a drive letter.
You can either await a fix or remove the drive letter via diskpart or disk management.

If you require instructions on how to do that:
Click your Start Button, type cmd, then right click Command Prompt and choose 'Run as Administrator'

Run this command and hit Enter

diskpart

select volume E

remove letter=E

Close Command Prompt and the problem will be resolved.

#4 AleksandrH

AleksandrH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2018 - 06:45 AM

If I do this, will I lose any data?

#5 eLPuSHeR

eLPuSHeR

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 05 June 2018 - 04:13 AM

No. It's perfectly safe.

#6 MasterNe0

MasterNe0

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 06 June 2018 - 12:24 PM

Had the same thing happen to a client's Win10 Dell laptop. I removed the drive letter using CMD as I couldn't remove it using Computer Management/Disk Management GUI as their wasn't any options besides
HELP showing up if you right click on the recovery drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users