Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard and cpu extremely high temp on startup

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 aRandumDude

aRandumDude

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 02 June 2018 - 05:42 PM

Specs
Motherboard: MSi P67A-C43(B3)
Cpu: intel i5-2500k (not overclocked atm)
Power supply: corsair tx850

Early this morning while using my computer it suddenly got extremely laggy (constant 100% cpu usage), even after closing pretty much everything i had open (nothing in task manager was standing out), and shortly after it turned itself off. Since then, after looking at specy and bios, i realized that the cpu and motherboard temps are skyrocketing as soon as i turn on my pc, sitting at 95c in bios and speccy, but my bios doesnt show motherboard temp. Ive dusted out my computer and even reapplied thermal paste but it still has the same issue.
I dont know if its possible for this to be a virus, but the only thing I have downloaded recently was this ( https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28335 from the one marked location 1) two nights ago. Thanks in advance for any kind of assistance with this!

Edited by hamluis, 03 June 2018 - 11:44 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jjkusaf

jjkusaf

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 02 June 2018 - 07:05 PM

So, are your temperatures that way when you turn the PC on and go straight into the BIOS before booting into Windows?  In other words, turn on the PC, get into the BIOS before booting into Windows and check the temperatures.  If your CPU is hitting that very high temp than I suspect your cooler isn't seated properly or (if you have a water cooler) the pump has failed/somehow ran out of coolant.

It would be helpful to know though if this is pre-Windows boot or post-Windows boot.

Edited by jjkusaf, 02 June 2018 - 07:07 PM.

#3 aRandumDude

aRandumDude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2018 - 07:15 PM

My computer has been off since i posted the initial thread, I booted it up and went into bios immediately and it slowly climbed from 50c to 90c within a minute or so until i shut it off again. Its water-cooled with corsair h60 (i think, its been a while and i dont have the box for it) though I have had it for a few years now.

Edited by aRandumDude, 02 June 2018 - 07:20 PM.

#4 aRandumDude

aRandumDude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2018 - 07:29 PM

To add to it real quick, those were bios temps for cpu but it doesnt show temps for my motherboard which were equally as high on speccy earlier (post windows boot)

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,563 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2018 - 07:07 AM

Please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

post-33068-0-86653600-1480692866_thumb.j

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot.

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the ADD REPLY or REPLY TO THIS TOPIC button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Louis

#6 aRandumDude

aRandumDude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2018 - 11:05 AM

(removed speccy paste)
I was able to quickly get this and turned off my pc shortly after, but I'm also using an outdated version of speccy. I dont think i can (or want to, really) keep my computer on long enough to update it. The screenshot posted was taken within a minute post-windows boot and less than 3 from just pressing the power button (ssd load times)

Edited by aRandumDude, 03 June 2018 - 01:39 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,563 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2018 - 11:42 AM

My first effort would be to remove the heatsink/fan...scrape all old thermal grease off...clean the CPU and heatsink with alcohol...then reapply fresh thermal paste.

Louis

#8 aRandumDude

aRandumDude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2018 - 11:46 AM

As I stated in the initial post I already did that yesterday, it didn't do much help.

#9 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 June 2018 - 12:01 PM

Sounds to me like that Corsair H60 has a failed pump or you have lost your cooling fluid, although I would think if you leaked, you would have known right away because the inside would be wet. Do you have a cheap air cooled heatsink and fan you could try out to determine this problem?

Cheap Intel heatsink & Fan

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835200034&ignorebbr=1

Leave the side cover off the case to see if your case fans are all working properly and check the temp without the side cover on it

Edited by Joe C, 03 June 2018 - 12:13 PM.

#10 aRandumDude

aRandumDude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2018 - 12:07 PM

No but I'm on my way to the store to get one, I'll update again once I replaced it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users