Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to install Windows Live Mail on Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Gozoman

Gozoman

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 02 June 2018 - 07:49 AM

I have just bought a HP Spectre x360 laptop running Windows 10 and the first thing I'm trying to get set up is my email. I've been using Windows Live Mail for a long time now and I'm happy with it so if possible I'd like to keep using it. I'm 64 and don't like change! I can't understand why they took this out of Windows 10 as it's a brilliant email program. Anyway I have been checking the web and found that a lot of people have successfully installed Live Mail on their Windows 10 systems but every time I try I get a message saying the installation has failed and the following error code; Error; 0x800c0006

Am I doing something wrong here? Is there any way I can get Live Mail to install on my system?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,010 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 02 June 2018 - 08:37 AM

I have no idea exactly which version of Windows Live Mail you're trying to install, but I snagged the installer for Microsoft Essentials 2012, which includes WLM 2012, about 1 week before it was pulled from the Microsoft download pages.

Windows Essentials 2012 Installer - Includes Windows Live Mail 2012, in ZIP format

I've installed using this installer on multiple Windows 10 systems without issue.  

Edited by britechguy, 02 June 2018 - 08:37 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 Gozoman

Gozoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2018 - 12:04 PM

I have no idea exactly which version of Windows Live Mail you're trying to install, but I snagged the installer for Microsoft Essentials 2012, which includes WLM 2012, about 1 week before it was pulled from the Microsoft download pages.

Windows Essentials 2012 Installer - Includes Windows Live Mail 2012, in ZIP format

I've installed using this installer on multiple Windows 10 systems without issue.

Okay thanks. I'll give that a try and see what happens. Actually the one I was trying to install is also 2012.

#4 Gozoman

Gozoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2018 - 12:25 PM

Okay thanks. I'll give that a try and see what happens. Actually the one I was trying to install is also 2012.

No luck with that either. I get the following message;

Couldn't install programs
Couldn't install these programs; Mail
An unknown error occurred
Error; 0x800c0006
Source; PhotoCommonLang

#5 Gozoman

Gozoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2018 - 07:21 AM

Nothing has worked so far and someone said to check if I have Net Framework 3.5 installed on my laptop.

I've just checked to see if my laptop has Net Framework 3.5 installed and I'm a bit confused. Instead of the box being empty or ticked it has a black square inside it. When I click on it two other boxes open both of which are un-ticked. These are; Windows Communication Foundation HTTP Activation and Windows Communication Foundation Non-HTTP Activation. Should I tick either or both of these boxes?

Also below this is another box with a black square in it called Net Framework 4.7 Advanced Services. When I click on it two more boxes open. The first is ASP.Net 4.7 and the box is ticked. The next box has a black square and is called WCF Services. When I click on it five boxes open. These are HTTP ACtivation; Message Queuing (MSMQ) Activation; Named Pipe Activation; TCP Activation and TCP Port Sharing. All are unchecked except the bottom one, TCP Port Sharing.

Anyone know what any of this means and if I need to check any of these boxes to hopefully get Live Mail working?

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,010 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 03 June 2018 - 10:16 AM

I would suggest you plow through the results returned by:  https://duckduckgo.com/?q=windows+live+mail+install+0x800c0006&t=h_&atb=v91-1&ia=web

This is a remarkably common error code that has different root causes.  I doubt very much that yours will not be among those already discussed, many of which have been solved.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#7 Gozoman

Gozoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2018 - 12:08 PM

By way of an update the problem appears to be solved. It was suggested that I check in my program folder because even though I was being told that the program hadn't been installed maybe it had been. When I checked it was indeed there. I was simply taking the word of the installation program that it had failed especially when it threw up the error code. I now have it running on Windows 10 quite happily, I've set up and synced three of my four email accounts. For some reason I can't get the fourth one to work and I'll have to as it's my main account. I've checked it three times and everything seems to be correct so I think I'll delete that one and try to set it up again from scratch. Thanks everyone for the help and if anyone else is getting a didn't install message check your program folder!

#8 philquad

philquad

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 23 September 2018 - 10:56 PM

bit late but, installing live mail for some stupid reason

if you getting errors

disable internet, then install

too easy

0 user(s) are reading this topic