Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to install Windows Live Mail on Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Gozoman

Gozoman

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 02 June 2018 - 07:49 AM

I have just bought a HP Spectre x360 laptop running Windows 10 and the first thing I'm trying to get set up is my email. I've been using Windows Live Mail for a long time now and I'm happy with it so if possible I'd like to keep using it. I'm 64 and don't like change! I can't understand why they took this out of Windows 10 as it's a brilliant email program. Anyway I have been checking the web and found that a lot of people have successfully installed Live Mail on their Windows 10 systems but every time I try I get a message saying the installation has failed and the following error code; Error; 0x800c0006

Am I doing something wrong here? Is there any way I can get Live Mail to install on my system?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,914 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 02 June 2018 - 08:37 AM

I have no idea exactly which version of Windows Live Mail you're trying to install, but I snagged the installer for Microsoft Essentials 2012, which includes WLM 2012, about 1 week before it was pulled from the Microsoft download pages.

Windows Essentials 2012 Installer - Includes Windows Live Mail 2012, in ZIP format

I've installed using this installer on multiple Windows 10 systems without issue.  

Edited by britechguy, 02 June 2018 - 08:37 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#3 Gozoman

Gozoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2018 - 12:04 PM

I have no idea exactly which version of Windows Live Mail you're trying to install, but I snagged the installer for Microsoft Essentials 2012, which includes WLM 2012, about 1 week before it was pulled from the Microsoft download pages.

Windows Essentials 2012 Installer - Includes Windows Live Mail 2012, in ZIP format

I've installed using this installer on multiple Windows 10 systems without issue.

Okay thanks. I'll give that a try and see what happens. Actually the one I was trying to install is also 2012.

#4 Gozoman

Gozoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2018 - 12:25 PM

Okay thanks. I'll give that a try and see what happens. Actually the one I was trying to install is also 2012.

No luck with that either. I get the following message;

Couldn't install programs
Couldn't install these programs; Mail
An unknown error occurred
Error; 0x800c0006
Source; PhotoCommonLang

#5 Gozoman

Gozoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2018 - 07:21 AM

Nothing has worked so far and someone said to check if I have Net Framework 3.5 installed on my laptop.

I've just checked to see if my laptop has Net Framework 3.5 installed and I'm a bit confused. Instead of the box being empty or ticked it has a black square inside it. When I click on it two other boxes open both of which are un-ticked. These are; Windows Communication Foundation HTTP Activation and Windows Communication Foundation Non-HTTP Activation. Should I tick either or both of these boxes?

Also below this is another box with a black square in it called Net Framework 4.7 Advanced Services. When I click on it two more boxes open. The first is ASP.Net 4.7 and the box is ticked. The next box has a black square and is called WCF Services. When I click on it five boxes open. These are HTTP ACtivation; Message Queuing (MSMQ) Activation; Named Pipe Activation; TCP Activation and TCP Port Sharing. All are unchecked except the bottom one, TCP Port Sharing.

Anyone know what any of this means and if I need to check any of these boxes to hopefully get Live Mail working?

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,914 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 03 June 2018 - 10:16 AM

I would suggest you plow through the results returned by:  https://duckduckgo.com/?q=windows+live+mail+install+0x800c0006&t=h_&atb=v91-1&ia=web

This is a remarkably common error code that has different root causes.  I doubt very much that yours will not be among those already discussed, many of which have been solved.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#7 Gozoman

Gozoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2018 - 12:08 PM

By way of an update the problem appears to be solved. It was suggested that I check in my program folder because even though I was being told that the program hadn't been installed maybe it had been. When I checked it was indeed there. I was simply taking the word of the installation program that it had failed especially when it threw up the error code. I now have it running on Windows 10 quite happily, I've set up and synced three of my four email accounts. For some reason I can't get the fourth one to work and I'll have to as it's my main account. I've checked it three times and everything seems to be correct so I think I'll delete that one and try to set it up again from scratch. Thanks everyone for the help and if anyone else is getting a didn't install message check your program folder!

#8 philquad

philquad

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 23 September 2018 - 10:56 PM

bit late but, installing live mail for some stupid reason

if you getting errors

disable internet, then install

too easy

1 user(s) are reading this topic