Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc freezes, while playing games, with buzzing sounds

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 TheFrancisco

TheFrancisco

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 02 June 2018 - 06:42 AM

Hi Everyone.

First thing's first: I didn't know where to place my issue so I chose this sub-forum, even though it hasn't necessarily to do with internal hardware or maybe it has...

The title says it all, when playing games my pc freezes with a buzzing, awful noise coming from the speakers; I thought first it had to do with high temps but that SEEMED ok (I read my temps using hvi software and besides that I placed my hand on the case of the pc and it didn't feel as abnormally hot); the GPU is kind of new (1,5 y.o.) so is the PSU (750W).

I noticed that it started after I updated my gpu Nvidia drivers yesterday, don't know whether it's related or not; my system is windows 7 64 bit, home edition.

Any help will be, needless to say, VERY appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 02 June 2018 - 06:49 AM

Google Topics On Stated Issues.

Louis

#3 TheFrancisco

TheFrancisco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2018 - 07:08 AM

I did that before coming here, but either it didn't solve or there was some discrepancy (different windows system, temps too high, old hardware) so I thought that by coming here someone could zero on my problem.

If I knew at least what to look.

#4 jjkusaf

jjkusaf

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2018 - 08:31 AM

I noticed that it started after I updated my gpu Nvidia drivers yesterday, don't know whether it's related or not; 

Have you tried to go back to "older" drivers ... the ones you had before you updated yesterday?  If not, I would try that and select "Clean Installation" when installing them.

You can find the older drivers here ...

https://www.geforce.com/drivers

Edited by jjkusaf, 02 June 2018 - 08:32 AM.

#5 TheFrancisco

TheFrancisco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2018 - 09:10 AM

I did that but unfortunately it didn't resolve my problem, guess the drivers have nothing to do with it.

Anyone else any idea? it would surely be appreciated. 

#6 TheFrancisco

TheFrancisco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2018 - 03:50 AM

Still here, still waiting.

#7 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2018 - 06:04 AM

I don't have an answer, but what video card do you have? What power supply, does it only do it on 1 game or all games? Have you tried unhooking your speakers? (Like I said, I don't know so I'm asking about other things that could be connected.) I ask because I had a 32" TV for a monitor, when ever the little fridge in my room went off, the screen went blank for 2-3 seconds. But only when I was playing Destiny 2. Never at any other time. I got a new TV...

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#8 TheFrancisco

TheFrancisco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2018 - 07:07 AM

My GPU is a Nvidea 960 purchased it like 1 1/2 years ago, the same with the PSU (850W), I did a bit of renovating and besides those two things it also included a new heatsinker and an extra RAM stick :-).

If I switch the speakers off, obviously the sound will go away but not the freezing and besides that I don't think it has to do with any malfunction of the speakers.

It happens to all the games and not just a specific one.

I hope these answers your questions.

#9 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 03 June 2018 - 09:09 AM

With problems like these, I start at the beginning and work my way through a complete system testing. Some of the things I start out with:

it started after I updated my gpu Nvidia drivers yesterday

Start there. Modern drivers on old platforms can be unpredictable. Roll the drivers back to the previous one you were using. I have an XP Pro and a Win98 box and never update any drivers. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :cowboy:

> Boot into safe mode and try to run your game. If the problem stops, then you know that it is most likely a driver or other software that is the problem.

If you still have the problem, you most likely have a hardware or operating sytem problem.

> Run Memtest 86+ on each stick of memory 1x1.

> Run a hard drive tester on your drive.

> Check the temperature of your CPU; running too hot? Use CPUID and leave it open on your desktop. Check your temps as you go.

That will get you started.

Edited by ranchhand_, 03 June 2018 - 09:13 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#10 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2018 - 05:36 AM

Thanks, I didn't mean turn off the speakers, I meant disconnect from the computer. I doubt if it would be the problem, but it was something I was throwing out there.

Do you happen to have an older video card, you know is good, that you could put in and see if it happens with that card?

Edit; I just replaced my GTX950, good card, but I bought a GTX1060. My black screen still happened, that's why I got a new TV. I like the Nvidea cards but don't trust them all the time. I've had one go weird on me.

Edited by Wildabeast, 04 June 2018 - 05:39 AM.

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#11 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,844 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 04 June 2018 - 11:45 AM

The condition, locking up and emitting noises from speakers is a logical "races" condition, the logic device gets stuck in a loop while everything else freezes, waiting for the chip to come ready again.  It might be heat related, on the MOBO, not the CPU or GPU but a peripheral device.  It is not an uncommon with overclocked boards, things get pushed beyond the limit, extra heat and then locking or unstable.  Some freeze spray might locate the chip.

#12 TheFrancisco

TheFrancisco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2018 - 05:36 PM

Ranchhand: I'll follow your instructions and give it a try this coming weekend.

Wildabeast: May I venture to say that probably you didn't need a new gpu but most probably a new psu?

mjd420nova: probably you're right but I don't understand the "some freeze spray might locate the chip" which chip, is it idiomatic? and if it's mobo overheating how shoould I lower its temps?

#13 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2018 - 11:51 PM

"Wildabeast: May I venture to say that probably you didn't need a new gpu but most probably a new psu?"

Sure, you can. But, I put another working TV in and it never happened. That's why I got a new one  :grinner:. The new TV, a 39" has worked great. That's why I was wondering if you had access to a new video card, to eliminate it as the problem.

Ronald Reagan

#14 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,844 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:10 AM

Overclocking causes extra heat outside the parameters the chips were designed for, once overheated, they then tend to run hotter than normal under regular conditions.  The freeze spray may get the overheated chip to reset properly and once identified, can be replaced.

#15 TheFrancisco

TheFrancisco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2018 - 04:54 PM

What drove you to the conclusion that I'm overclocking? (I'm not)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users