Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Starting Fresh

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mekineer

mekineer

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 02 June 2018 - 02:03 AM

I have my old set of files, with its hierarchy of folders.  I'd like to start over, while keeping the organization of the old set of files intact.  Rather than moving any old files I need into my new set, I thought I'd create junctions to the old folders.  Do you have any experience doing this and can offer advice?

Which would be better.  When I need a folder from the old set of files in the new set:

1) Create a junction in the new set, pointing to the old set.

OR

2) Move the folder to the new set, and create a junction in the old set, pointing to the new set.

I just don't want to find out I have a maintenance nightmare to deal with in the future.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mekineer

mekineer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 02 June 2018 - 11:18 AM

Choose 1) because the old set of files, and its hierarchy, will be static.  The new set will be organized and reorganized, so the path of a junction pointing into it, will become erroneous.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users